The Planted Tank Forum banner

Marko's ADA 30C - Rili Shrimplets (8/30/13)

30K views 121 replies 46 participants last post by  @marko@ 
#1 · (Edited)
So im doing a 30C, iwagumi layout, with shrimp. its all set up, except im not sure about the planting arrangement, and its got a bunch of growing in to do.
ill see if i can get some pics soon.

this tank, has shrimp. thats right, shrimp. i have 12 RCS in there.

#65 ·
my bulb died the other day, and i dont have a replacement. had to order one online. rigged up this in the meantime:

and then added some foil to keep my eyes alive:

its 32w instead of the 27w i had, but i cut my photoperiod, and my plants seem to love it:

#73 ·
just replanted everything but the anubias (with the size of that thing, and how far its roots go throughout the tank, there is no moving it).
this tank has been slowly winding down. im noticing consistently less and less vigor. in the plant growth, and i think that the ADA AS and the MTS have run their course.
i intend to take down this tank and redo it over winter break. not sure yet what i want to do, but ill likely stick to an iwagumi type layout. the giant petite will be moved to another tank most likely. its just too big for this tank, and while i have no issues cutting off small segments of rhizome for propagation, cutting it up entirely would be such a shame.

here are the pics:

#76 ·
would have a lot of open space. but thats not necessarily a bad look...
im pretty confident i want to incorporate some r. fluitans. i love the way it pearls. beyond that, no clue.

also, im tired of cherries. they are gone come december. ill use a different neocard, and try out some CRS to see how they do. i have an RO unit, so i should be able to tweak the kh and gh by mixing RO with tap. id rather if i could stay away from the expensive shrimp remineralizers.

Love your tank! Mind sharing how you keep your Downoi healthy? Mine always melt..:(
thank you.
i wish i could give you some secret on how to make it thrive, but there isnt one.
just good light + CO2 + fertz.
i never had any issues with it. i just put it in the tank, and it grew. they way i set my tanks up, there are very few plants that give me trouble. but it took a lot of time and dead plants to figure out how to do that. getting your CO2 right is usually the key to this.

#77 ·
safe to say this tank has run its course. hasnt been doing as well as it used to for months now. substrate is kicked. it looks different, its just grey dust that roots nothing and has little nutrients so the plants grow slower. and then the power outage from sandy killed the filter, and thus the shrimp. now its gone a week without CO2.
here is the cumulative result:

in a few weeks i will totally redo the tank.
right now im running it just to keep the a. petite happy (it becoming algae infested, but i dont think it minds, and a quick 2 min dilute bleach dip will clear it right up) as i figure out where to put it.

#81 ·
ug has been demolished, but i have a 2x2 pot in my emersed setup. downoi and e. parkeri are hanging in, but i dont really care, i have tons of both emersed and some in my 20 long.
anubias is covered in algae, but a quick bleach dip will fix that.

however none of these plants will be used in the next scape.
im thinking about hc, riccia, lileopsis, and s. repens. i might keep a small bit of downoi in there as an accent.

#84 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.