Fishless cycle question - The Planted Tank Forum
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-10-2015, 11:06 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower
Fishless cycle question

Hi folks, I'm setting a 10 gallon tank and it is currently on the 3rd week doing a fishless cycle. When I first started it I moved some filter media from one of my established tanks.

I had ammonia go up to 4ppm and nitrites reached about 2ppm. After about 2 and a half weeks my ammonia is 1ppm, nitrites are 0 and nitrates about 30ppm.

I have never had a cycle do this before where I had ammonia but no nitrites. Usually ammonia would drop to 0 than the nitrites. Anything else I should be doing?

Sponsored Links
post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-10-2015, 11:17 PM
Planted Member
The various bacteria populations exist as a result of the bio-load in the other tank.

With a minimal or lack of bio-load the bacteria workforce will need to reduced and thousands will be laid off and suffer or die.

Consider adding a few fish.

Theory and practice look great on paper.

Mr3, Mr12L
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-11-2015, 12:12 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast
As long as you have either ammonia or nitrite at levels greater than zero, do not add any fish. They will probably die of ammonia or nitrite poisoning. Are you adding any fish food or liquid ammonia to the tank every day?

10 Gallon Betta Tank
The Fraternity of Dirt #144
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-11-2015, 12:43 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower
I have shrimp pellet food that I put in (about 4 pellets) and it sits on the bottom for about 4 days before fully dissolving.

I forgot to add that I have some DHG in the tank and it had some die off. This could be adding to the ammonia?

Last edited by PhilthyMcnasty; 05-11-2015 at 12:59 AM. Reason: added more info
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-11-2015, 12:57 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower
Mods, Please feel free to move this to the General forum. Apparently I wasn't paying attention.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-11-2015, 02:07 PM
Planted Tank Guru
You need some plants in there. At least some moss. Another good plant for starting a tank is wisteria.

With lots of fast growing stem plants you can add a medium to large fish load all at once and never see the traditional ammonia or nitrite spikes. Suggestions (4-6 stems each) of plants for each five gallons of water. Plants Foxtail, Hygro, Creeping Charlie, Red Ludwigia, Moneywort, Wisteria, Egeria, Shinnersia rivularis, and Sprite.

Last edited by Hilde; 05-11-2015 at 02:08 PM. Reason: changed fonts

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode