90 Gallon like I always wanted - The Planted Tank Forum
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 56 (permalink) Old 05-06-2015, 02:50 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

90 Gallon like I always wanted

Now that Im out with my own house and stable job I decided to get back into the hobby, but do things a little better. I decided I wanted something in the 75g range, an old friend had a salt water 75 that I really liked the size of. I searched for around a month before settling on a 90 as the size I wanted to have, I thought the extra height would fill up my wall better. After nearly buying several used tanks I knew I wouldnt be happy unless I had a shiny new tank, so I got a new 90g reef ready Aqueon.

From there I wasnt really happy with the quality of the pre-built stands nor the price if you did happen to find a nice one, which I never really did find anything other than the standard black painted pine ones. So I decided to build one, it was alot of work but has turned out great.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20150328_154741.jpg
Views:	268
Size:	75.7 KB
ID:	470377  

Name:	20150404_194418.jpg
Views:	231
Size:	56.5 KB
ID:	470385  

Name:	20150407_173042.jpg
Views:	242
Size:	65.2 KB
ID:	470393  

Last edited by sprint_9; 07-26-2015 at 04:27 AM. Reason: 1
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 56 (permalink) Old 05-06-2015, 02:53 AM
Wannabe Guru

Wish I had wood working skills like that.

post #3 of 56 (permalink) Old 05-06-2015, 03:00 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Continuing with the stand build getting everything stained and varnished, I also wanted to build a matching canopy. When I set out to build the stand and canopy one of the main goals I had was to be able to have it hide the trim on the tank.

Bump:
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatherLandDescendant View Post
Wish I had wood working skills like that.
Thanks, it did take me a long time to get it built. Right at a month working on it like it was a job.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20150412_173729.jpg
Views:	218
Size:	56.1 KB
ID:	470401  

Name:	20150414_213300.jpg
Views:	215
Size:	47.0 KB
ID:	470409  

Name:	20150426_141830.jpg
Views:	209
Size:	37.1 KB
ID:	470417  

Last edited by sprint_9; 05-06-2015 at 03:19 AM. Reason: 1

post #4 of 56 (permalink) Old 05-06-2015, 03:18 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Most of what Im posting about now has happened within the last week or so. I finally got the tank set up in my basement after what seemed like forever working on the stand.

First thing I started on once I had it positioned where I thought I wanted it was the plumbing. I wanted it to be silent, well as much as possible so I decided to run a herbie overflow setup. With that type of overflow I would have to run the return on the outside of the tank. I wanted all of the plumbing to be easily removable so I used unions in key places, using 2 unions on the return to get it snaked through the stand easier, I didnt have much help to try and hold everything straight and glue at the same time.

I also got my R/O unit set up between two shelving units, one thing I do need to do here is change my plug in to a GFCI and while Im doing that I want to put a switch on it to have the ability to easily switch my pump on and off when filling my tank.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20150430_181405.jpg
Views:	213
Size:	68.3 KB
ID:	470425  

Name:	20150430_181331.jpg
Views:	208
Size:	38.2 KB
ID:	470433  

Name:	20150426_135209.jpg
Views:	221
Size:	37.5 KB
ID:	470441  

post #5 of 56 (permalink) Old 05-06-2015, 03:41 AM
Planted Tank Guru

After the facts is not any use, but check "Glass Cages" for stands.
Looks fairly close to what you have. Likely not as strong. "We" always
tend to build something you could hold up a truck/w...LOL...
Great staining job that brings out the grain of the wood.

The shortest distance between any two points is a straight line...in the opposite direction...
post #6 of 56 (permalink) Old 05-06-2015, 03:43 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Once I had the plumbing done and most of the electrical layout planned I decided to starting filling with water to see how big of a disaster that would be. I cut a light diffuser/egg crate deal to fit before I starting filling with water and quickly found out that it would float, duh. So I decided to rinse the sand I had bought for the tank.

Speaking of sand, I had finally settled on HTH pool filter sand, I really struggled with what to get since I wanted to go with some live plants. I did a decent amount of research on it and was really close to pulling the trigger on some eco-complete but couldnt bring myself to spend the money for it. Hopefully it doesnt come back to bite me later.

While filling I noticed that the water level wasnt level. My stand when built was level so I figured it was the floor. I didnt think it was going to be level since one of the speakers for my surround sound is also tipped slightly. Well I ended up being off almost a 1/4 inch on one corner, way more than I thought it would be. Great cement work on the floor of my basement. So I really wasnt sure what to do, I knew it had to be level or I risk damage to the tank or stand, and it would look like crap with an uneven water level. I didnt really know if door shims would work but as of right now they seem to have done the trick, I used several to make sure the load was spread out.

Bump:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond S. View Post
After the facts is not any use, but check "Glass Cages" for stands.
Looks fairly close to what you have. Likely not as strong. "We" always
tend to build something you could hold up a truck/w...LOL...
Great staining job that brings out the grain of the wood.
lol you got that right, I wouldnt surprised if mine would hold up a car, its way over built
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20150501_200459.jpg
Views:	193
Size:	58.7 KB
ID:	470489  

Name:	20150501_195720.jpg
Views:	188
Size:	76.3 KB
ID:	470497  

post #7 of 56 (permalink) Old 05-06-2015, 04:08 AM
Algae Grower

What a wonderful start! Obviously no stranger to the workshop
post #8 of 56 (permalink) Old 05-06-2015, 09:56 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

stand looks great! very good work
post #9 of 56 (permalink) Old 05-06-2015, 12:30 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Your stand is everything I wanted my stand to be... :'( Looks great! I went with a 75g instead of the 90g though. It was a toss up! Plans for lighting?
post #10 of 56 (permalink) Old 05-06-2015, 01:49 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Nice clean plumbing and great woodworking! I'm jealous of your workshop. Would you please post some detail pics of your filter? I'm a sucker for that stuff.

I've never regretted over engineering a system, but often regretted under engineering one.

Aquatic Gardeners Association
Current 60g build
300g Dutch (torn down)
60g Dutch (torn down)
post #11 of 56 (permalink) Old 05-06-2015, 05:21 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks for all the nice comments.

For lighting I went with a Current Satellite Plus 48 inch. I really contemplated a DIY setup but went for the ease and probably cheaper route buying a pre made light. Im really happy with it so far, it has mostly good reviews from what I could find.

Funny you should mention my filter, I am actually debating tearing it down and re working it. I dont really like how it turned out and I changed direction now a little bit. I was going to use the k1 tumbling media but the stuff I got just floated to the top of the water level and didnt really move much, maybe that is how it is, Im not sure? So I tore the egg crate wall out and am now just using bio-balls and filter material, a coarse pad and blue bonded pad. One of the things I dont like is I cant get my heater into it, not sure if it will fit even if I re work it, my heater is super long. The other being I seem to not be catching much of the mechanical debris with my first set of filter pads, most of it is getting caught on more of a back up pad I installed. Ill get some pictures of it tonight after work.

If anyone has a good proven sump design post up a link.
post #12 of 56 (permalink) Old 05-06-2015, 05:37 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Hey there Sprint. Take a look at my current build thread for sump info. If you've got any questions or whatnot I'll be happy to answer them.

I've never regretted over engineering a system, but often regretted under engineering one.

Aquatic Gardeners Association
Current 60g build
300g Dutch (torn down)
60g Dutch (torn down)
post #13 of 56 (permalink) Old 05-10-2015, 10:24 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Over the last few days I got my tank close to how I kind of want it, given my current materials, driftwood, sand, rock etc. It was tricky to get the piece of driftwood on the right to stay down, it wanted to float where as the other piece sank. I ended up tying it to a large rock. Overall Im fairly happy with how it has turned out so far.

Last edited by sprint_9; 12-14-2015 at 03:07 AM. Reason: 1
post #14 of 56 (permalink) Old 05-16-2015, 03:42 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I ended up deciding to do a fish in cycle, so I got 4 platy's. Not much for a 90 gallon but my local options for fish are very limited. My old time fish store I used 8+ years ago might as well close since they have basically nothing on hand, a bunch a empty tanks, its quite sad to see. My only other local option is Walmart, otherwise its about a 2 hour trip to pet smart or an actual LFS.

With the 4 platy's I seemed to be making some progress until I finally got tired of my sump, I didnt like my heater not being in it, and it seemed like the way it was set up, any debris that would float would never really get skimmed off of the first set of chambers. So I tore out 3 of the old baffles and re arranged them to fix the above issues I was having. I let the silicone cure for 3 days and put it back in a few days ago, and so far it seems to be working fine.

I ran my air pump on full blast with 2 power heads and managed to keep my platy's in good health.

Last edited by sprint_9; 12-14-2015 at 03:07 AM. Reason: 1
post #15 of 56 (permalink) Old 05-16-2015, 03:44 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Little cloudy here, lol

Last edited by sprint_9; 12-14-2015 at 03:12 AM. Reason: 1

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode