Journey starts here...120g - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-28-2015, 02:06 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Journey starts here...120g

Just got the tank into the new place. Going to be using miraclegro organic potting soil. Don't know what I'm going to use to cap it yet. I want to do a co2 setup but I still need to do more research before I dive in. I will have some time because I won't be officially in until the end of the month. Wish me luck

Last edited by Anhnguyen310; 06-08-2015 at 10:32 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-28-2015, 02:32 PM
Wannabe Guru

Welcome! I presume you are knew due to the post counts, could be wrong. The 120G is a cool tank. What are the dimensions? 4'x2'x2'? MGOPS topped with black blasting sand is pretty popular and looks good. What are your plans for lighting? 24" is quite deep and to get high light (for the CO2) you'll need a strong light!

Quote or Mention me in a comment and I'll be sure to reply!
post #3 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-28-2015, 03:09 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

The tank is 60 inches long, 18 inches wide, and 26 inches tall. I am fairly new, I have been lurking this site for awhile now though. I currently have a 20g planted with shrimp, otos, and a few corys. Not too many places if any at all to buy stuff for the tank (plants, wood,rocks). Started with a fluval spec v in Jan of this year to the 20 and now this lol. The 20g has a fluval full spectrum on it atm. Would 2 of those be enough?
post #4 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-28-2015, 03:33 PM
Wannabe Guru

From what I've seen, the Fluval light doesn't have any official par data. (Correct me if I'm wrong but my search turned up nothing!) But it seems to work well on 24" deep tanks with CO2.

Build My LED lights are about 50% more costly but highly suggestion for a tank of this size and depth. At 26" in depth, you need a strong light.

http://www.buildmyled.com/nature-style-6500k/

I'm not real sure on a light to suggest for something this deep. I'm sure someone else can chime in with high tech experience.

post #5 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-28-2015, 04:40 PM
Planted Member

You may want to think about upgrading the light. I have a Ray2 and the Fluval light on my 80 gallon and while I personally like the visible spectrum of the fluval more, it doesn't penetrate very well. The leds have a 120 degree angle so the light is spread out more instead of focused down.

By running both of these lights I have had pretty good luck. Perhaps two Fluvals would be ok for your tank depending on what you are growing but if you are trying to get light to substrate I would go with something else.

I've been looking at the build my led light from the poster above as well and am contemplating replacing the fluval one day.
post #6 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-28-2015, 05:02 PM
Wannabe Guru

I definitely didn't know about the 120 degree angle. That does cut down on penetration, but spans a wider distance. A single, powerful, light hung a few inches from the surface will spread the width of the tank and penetrate deep enough. BML has great customer support if you want to email them. A day or two turn around depending on your question. They gave me specific photos and a good write up on what I asked and it took about a day.

post #7 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-28-2015, 05:23 PM
Planted Tanker

Have you ever done a dirted tank before? One thing to consider, unless you know exactly what plants you want to go with, and exactly where you want to put them - for good, then you may want to use something else. Moving things around doesnt work very well in a dirt capped substrate. It makes a big mess and screws up the cap structure.
post #8 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-28-2015, 07:04 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

A ray2 would work for you or two planted + and that will put you in high light
post #9 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-28-2015, 08:08 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

good luck with this project, very nice dimensions - I am sure you will make a beautiful tank
post #10 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-28-2015, 08:38 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thank you all for the feedback. I will look more into the substrate and lighting. I still have some time to plan everything. Any recommendations for carpet plants or plants in general? Here is a pic of my 20

Last edited by Anhnguyen310; 06-08-2015 at 10:32 PM.
post #11 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-29-2015, 03:38 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Decided to go with eco-complete again like i did with the 20g. A little spendy but I like the way it is in the tank.
post #12 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-29-2015, 11:42 AM
Wannabe Guru

Carpet plants are all up to personal taste. I like the grass looking plants, so dwarf sag always caught my eye. But with high light and CO2, you can grow much more demanding plants.

post #13 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-29-2015, 04:28 PM
Algae Grower

Nice tank! I wish my tank is that tall. I have the same but only 100 gallon so it's only 19-20inch tall.
post #14 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-29-2015, 05:00 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky817 View Post
Nice tank! I wish my tank is that tall. I have the same but only 100 gallon so it's only 19-20inch tall.
I think you are in the minority. Most people like the shorter tanks for easier lighting and easier aquascaping.

Also, on the dirted comments: They are right. Dirt is messy if you replant.

post #15 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-29-2015, 06:06 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freemananana View Post
I think you are in the minority. Most people like the shorter tanks for easier lighting and easier aquascaping.

Also, on the dirted comments: They are right. Dirt is messy if you replant.
Hence the reason I went with eco-complete. Don't want the mess when I replant . Did isn't cheap though, bought 5 bags at 20lbs each so far to see how that works out before I get more. I still have 40 lbs of it in my 20g so hopefully I have enough. Stuff should be here on Friday

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode