post #31 of 428 (permalink) Old 05-02-2009, 05:58 AM
CL
C-A-T-S

That sure is a beautiful crypt

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 428 (permalink) Old 05-02-2009, 06:08 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

yeah, it's a nice plant. here is The Crypts Page treatment of C. cordata var. cordata.

http://www.xs4all.nl/~crypts/Cryptoc...y/cor/cor.html

that looks like my plant. i hope that it will flower for me someday.
post #33 of 428 (permalink) Old 05-02-2009, 05:53 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

You put a great deal of thought and planning into these displays, and it shows!!!!!
You have developed your own style, feel and look! Again very cool! And itís nice to see you practice this art, and take the time to share it with all of us!
MD
post #34 of 428 (permalink) Old 05-02-2009, 10:34 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

thanks a bunch!

post #35 of 428 (permalink) Old 05-03-2009, 05:58 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

i hope to start assembling more of my fish for this system. i already have a group of gold barbs (P. semifasciolatus var. schuberti) in quarantine. they look healthy. i selected this fish because i enjoy barbs and because i think that their coloration will be nice contrast against the dark greens, browns, and reds of the crypts. they look a lot like goldfish to me, which i think will complement the idea of using the bricks in there.

i would like to figure out another fish to use as a single specimen centerpiece. the one idea that has come to mind is a paradise fish (Macropodus opercularis). would this be OK? i understand that they are mostly aggressive toward conspecifics, so i hope that they would be OK with the barbs. what do you think? i have never kept them before.

i also wish to have a single bottom-dwelling fish or two. i really enjoy Botia loaches, but they get too large for this setup. this tank only has ~22 gallons of water in it. can anybody suggest a small, active catfish, that isn't a cory? or any other bottom fish(?).
post #36 of 428 (permalink) Old 05-03-2009, 06:17 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I'd say go for the paradise fish, very nice personalities.

Also bottom-dwelling, maybe farowella's ? I'd think they'll look nice in the bricks.
post #37 of 428 (permalink) Old 05-04-2009, 01:36 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

i think that i am settled on a single male blue paradise fish. i don't know that those Farlowella cats would be a good choice. i understand that they are pretty sedentary and also delicate. they had some at a local LFS, but i have noticed that they look more sick and less numerous every time i go in there. any ideas for other small, active catfish?

the dwarf loach (Botia sidthimunki) looks pretty cool, but i guess they are best kept in large groups.
post #38 of 428 (permalink) Old 05-05-2009, 07:42 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

this is a bump. does anybody else have any fish suggestions? i explained my latest reasoning just a couple posts back right here.

so i just an idea or two for bottom-dwelling fish and also i wonder what you might think about paradise fish(?).

post #39 of 428 (permalink) Old 05-05-2009, 09:46 PM
Planted Tank VIP

I like the Paradise Fish. Good choice. Not sure about choices, but nothing to delicate I guess. i would say if its a bottom dweller, you need something that will have some "gitty up and get out of there" speed to avoid any "drive by's" from the PF. Perhaps some type of Corydoras species may work well (and they tend to pack together if in appropriate numbers).

post #40 of 428 (permalink) Old 05-05-2009, 10:46 PM
Algae Grower

I have dwarf chain loaches (Botia sidthimunki) and they do like to be in groups, but they dont have to be large groups. And they stay small. I have 5 in a 45 Gallon so a group of 5 or six in your tank would be fine I think. I also have some corydoras sterbai in another tank, they seem happy in a group of 3, they are pretty active and not too shy - although kinda skittish. The loaches are fast and could probably avoid attacks from aggressive fish. They will also control any snail outbreak from happening. I don't know what I'd do without them!
post #41 of 428 (permalink) Old 05-05-2009, 11:07 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

yep, i do intend to add a paradise fish--now i just have to find a good-looking one.

where did you get your Botia sidthimunki? that would be first choice if they really would fit in this much water along with the other fish. unless i use pygmy cories (which i already have) i supoose i would face the same dilemna of a preferred larger group, although maybe just three cories would be OK. i like cories a lot.

i might have put this question into the fish forum, but it goes along with the rest of my description of the system.

another idea is one or two Garra flavatra. however, one reference describes them as preferring cooler water (~72 Fahrenheit). this tank is somewhat warmer than that.
post #42 of 428 (permalink) Old 05-06-2009, 12:52 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

we just got 2 Botia sidthimunki in at Something Fishy (the LFS i just started at) if you do get to stop by i think they're still there- if you want more than two (I also think they do best in groups of at least three) they get orders on friday and more could be ordered.

cheers-K

20 Long Journal
5 gallon planted betta tank
6 gallon planted
post #43 of 428 (permalink) Old 05-06-2009, 01:22 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

i had meant to ask which store you were at. unfortunately, i am not visiting the cities on this trip--i only made it as far as Menomonie. if i can remember i should call to see if your store might be able to get some more B. sidthimunki. i might consider coming up this way again in a few weeks.
post #44 of 428 (permalink) Old 05-06-2009, 02:03 AM
Algae Grower

I just got mine at our LFS here in Seattle and they carry them all the time. I don't think they are too hard to find, have you called around locally to see if anyone carries them or could order them for you?
post #45 of 428 (permalink) Old 05-06-2009, 02:46 AM
Algae Grower

Hydrophyte,

How do you keep your plants moist? I thought that under such high light the leaves would get dry?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode