55 Gallon Crypts Riparium - Page 2 - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 428 (permalink) Old 04-29-2009, 12:53 PM
Planted Tank VIP

Will there be fish in this setup when done?
Will there be filtration?
What kind of lighting are you using?
Light duration?
What will be your fertilization regime? C
an we get a full plant list of what you have in there to get an idea of what can be grown in this type of setup?
How are you controlling humidity and what humidity target level are you seeking?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 428 (permalink) Old 04-29-2009, 05:59 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

here's a shot at the first 1/2 of this list of questions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmccreedy View Post
Will there be fish in this setup when done?
yes, i have some of the fish already, small groups of cherry barbs (Puntius titteya) and gold barbs (P. semifasciolatus var. schuberti ). i'm not really attempting to do a biotope, but the P. titteya are a nod to Sri Lanka, where so many nice crypts come from.

i might also like to add a loach. can you suggest any small loaches? i wonder if a blue paradise fish would beat up on the barbs(?).

Quote:
Will there be filtration?
there is roughly 22 gallons of water in there. i am going to set up a Filstar XP1 with intake/return retrofit so that it can reach the water, like this:

Quote:
What kind of lighting are you using?
i have a single hydroponics strip light with a 6500K 54 watt HO T5 lamp and a nice reflector.

this will conform to the "raw industrial" style of the stand.

Quote:
Light duration?
12 hours.

more later...
post #18 of 428 (permalink) Old 04-30-2009, 03:21 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

i have a quick update. i'm trying to decide between two different kinds of rocks. i am looking at them right now.

here is one choice, rounded river stones, all light in color.

i have rounded bricks too, also from the river.

which do you like better? i feel it might be easier to use the natural rocks, but the bricks are more novel.
post #19 of 428 (permalink) Old 04-30-2009, 08:41 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

i decided to go with the bricks. here is what i got.

as you can see, this composition doesn't ahve any single very strong focal point. i was attempting something more like a "boulder-strewn" appearance. i think that this conforms to the linear character that i have in mind for the whole thing.

and here it is with an additional substrate layer, pool filter sand.

i need to get back to gmccreedy's questions, but now it's time for bed. i will pick this up again tomorrow.
post #20 of 428 (permalink) Old 04-30-2009, 09:44 PM
Algae Grower

That is very cool. I love the brick colour, and the crypts are amazing. I love that type of plant. Have a few myself.

Fish are cool!
10 gallon Tank Journal: http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/ta...llon-tank.html
post #21 of 428 (permalink) Old 04-30-2009, 10:17 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern_Wind View Post
That is very cool. I love the brick colour, and the crypts are amazing. I love that type of plant. Have a few myself.
thanks. i hope that the brick red will accentuate the reddish colors in some of the plants.

crypts are awesome. they are my new favorite kind of plant.
post #22 of 428 (permalink) Old 04-30-2009, 10:28 PM
Planted Tank VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by hydrophyte View Post
thanks. i hope that the brick red will accentuate the reddish colors in some of the plants.

Yea, that brick is pretty bold. I am not going to lie when I say that I cringed this morning when I saw it. Not going to convince you to not use it either, I am curious if you can get some balance with it.

Will be interesting to see this unfold.

Quote:
crypts are awesome. they are my new favorite kind of plant.
Mine too. So many species to collect. I have well over 20 species now and I only want more.

post #23 of 428 (permalink) Old 04-30-2009, 11:01 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Yea, that brick is pretty bold. I am not going to lie when I say that I cringed this morning when I saw it. Not going to convince you to not use it either, I am curious if you can get some balance with it.
tough crowd tonight.

yep, it is a lot of red. however, it should soften as i add immersed plants and as algae starts to grow upon it. the underwater scape will also darken some as the emersed plants grow bigger.
post #24 of 428 (permalink) Old 05-01-2009, 04:33 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

keep it coming i'm fascinated with how you're pulling this together!

cheers-K

20 Long Journal
5 gallon planted betta tank
6 gallon planted
post #25 of 428 (permalink) Old 05-01-2009, 07:53 AM
Planted Member

I'm inspired. Thanks

I know enough to know that I don't know anything

My Glass Box

Quatre tete

Trimline Custom Design
post #26 of 428 (permalink) Old 05-01-2009, 08:19 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
What will be your fertilization regime?
sloppy and casual.

i add liquid fertilizers (liquid preparations of KNO3, MgSO4, KH2PO4 & CSM+B) directly to the surface of the planter gravel. this ensures that the ferts get to the roots of the emersed plants and also limits extra nutrients in the water. one could fertilize a setup like this using EI or other rigorous regime, but i count it as a plus that i don't have to do so many large water changes or watch the calendar so closely. i want this to be a low maintenance display. in this case i think that i only need to dose 1X per week.

i will have a moderate fish load and the immersed plants will get much of what they need from them. i have a similar smaller setup that has been going for a while with happy plants and the only extra thing that i ever add to that is CSM+B mix from time to time.

Quote:
Can we get a full plant list of what you have in there to get an idea of what can be grown in this type of setup?
mostly there are a lot of crypts. here is a partial list:
  • Cryptocoryne cordata
  • C. balansae
  • C. ciliata
  • C. lutea
  • C. wendtii (3 different cultivars)
  • Lagenandra sp.
  • ..and a few more[/I]

on the Epi-Trellis Rafts i have Anubias barteri var. nana, Microsorum sp. and Bolbitis heudelotti .

in the underwater portion i am going to plant crypts belonging to some of the above species and a few more. i need to look for some shorter plants for that area.

Quote:
How are you controlling humidity and what humidity target level are you seeking?
i will maintain the tank nearly covered with a glass canopy. the humidity will remain at >90%. i will have to adjust this to some degree. most of the crypts will grow best with very high humidity, but there are some that actually grow with more attractive appearances in lower humidity.

regards,
post #27 of 428 (permalink) Old 05-01-2009, 08:21 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by bartak View Post
I'm inspired. Thanks
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle3 View Post
keep it coming i'm fascinated with how you're pulling this together!

cheers-K
thanks very much. i hope to add more tomorrow.
post #28 of 428 (permalink) Old 05-02-2009, 06:27 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

hi y'all,

i did a little more work tonight. i added a dark background to the display using the plastic-coated material that i found at the LFS.

i've never used this stuff before, but i found it be pretty handy--much quicker than painting. i held it in place with little tabs of tape and it looked tidy.

i used it to cover only the area behind the underwater portion. this produced the effect that i was after. the planter cups disappeared against the dark background.
post #29 of 428 (permalink) Old 05-02-2009, 06:30 AM
CL
C-A-T-S

That's a really neat setup there!

post #30 of 428 (permalink) Old 05-02-2009, 06:56 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

this is my final substrate layer, light-colored river pebbles. these are approximately 3-8 mm in size.

i have had good success adding coarser gravels like this one on top of finer silica sand. this combination is relatively inexpensive, presents a natural appearance, and apparently has pretty good conditions for root development.

here is another shot with the gravel layer added.

i made in interesting observation about one of my new plants. i recently acquired some very nice Cryptocoryne cordata through a sale on the TPT Swap and Shop forum. unlike many other crypts that i have tried--which generally require an adaptation period before growing as emersed plants, after loosing all of their underwater-adapted leaves--these plants seem to be doing fine with direct transition to emersed culture. this one stood right up out of the water after i potted it up. they have stiffer petioles than most other Cryptocryne and i suppose they also adapt somewhat more readily to this change.

what a handsome plant.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode