55 Gallon Crypts Riparium - Page 11 - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #151 of 428 (permalink) Old 06-08-2009, 12:31 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Glenn, nope, you're not losing it. i mentioned it further up this thread, but no place else. here is the manufacturer's page: http://www.hydrofarm.com/pb_detail.php?itemid=8881
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #152 of 428 (permalink) Old 06-10-2009, 01:14 AM
I ♥ BBA!

Uh-oh. I think you have Glenn hooked as well.

Without Algae, death of mankind would be inevitable.
post #153 of 428 (permalink) Old 06-10-2009, 01:33 AM
Planted Tank VIP

I am totally hooked, but won't be happening any time in the near future.

post #154 of 428 (permalink) Old 06-10-2009, 01:57 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

this light might be too bright. today i notice a couple of plants that seem to be leaning up against the rear pane of glass, like they're trying to get away. i have seen this before with some kinds of plants under those Tek Lights with all 4 or 6 lamps blazing. i will have to watch to see what happens. i can hoist the fixture up higher or maybe even put some kind of shape (window screen?) on top of the tank if it's too much light.

hey did you see my latest picture from the Mexico tank? i have this in the General forum. it is a view down inside that i made with 5 shots stitched together.

the Xanthosoma taro over there on the right is a neat plant and it is doing well. over on the left side is a Zephyranthes rain lily bloom all shriveled up i missed that one by a couple of days. i wish that i could keep this tank looking nicer, but it is difficult because it is on the other side of town and i can only ever make it over there for 1/2 hour once a week.
post #155 of 428 (permalink) Old 06-10-2009, 02:04 AM
Wannabe Guru

Send a message via AIM to Down_Shift
Wow that looks great. Any close up shots? What are you stocking?

Also how do you keep your water from making an ugly water line on the glass?!?!
post #156 of 428 (permalink) Old 06-10-2009, 03:28 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Down_Shift View Post
Wow that looks great. Any close up shots? What are you stocking?

Also how do you keep your water from making an ugly water line on the glass?!?!
thanks very much! that last shot is actually from a different tank. i have close ups of this and that. here is a shot of a C. wendtii ('Bronze' i think?) spathe.

my main idea with this tank was a setup that would allow observation on emergent crypts (and their flowers) in a real aquascape.

erasing that chalk line and any water spots that might appear is the most important thing about keeping these tanks looking nice. this crypts riparium is almost completely covered to maintain humidity, so there isn't much evaporation and it doesn't develop a chalk line. that tank in the picture above, on the other hand, is open-topped and loses almost a gallon a water a day to evaporation. every time that i service it i wipe the chalk line away with a rag moistened with a little vinegar. vinegar is good for cleaning water spots away too.
post #157 of 428 (permalink) Old 06-10-2009, 03:43 AM
Planted Member

Why must you tempt me so? I want to set up a riparium so bad now!
post #158 of 428 (permalink) Old 06-10-2009, 04:52 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

to avoid confusion, here is a previous FTS for the tank that this thread is about.

i hope to fill this tank in a little more with some bushier plants. the crypts are growing, but slow. i got some pictures of a couple of new things that i potted up last night. these aren't crypts, but they are aroids and share that general aroid appearance.

this one isn't so new--it's a peace lily (SPathiphyllum sp.) that i already know to grow really well in hanging planters.

here is a really cool plant that would make a great composition centerpiece.

this is an "African Mask" type Alocasia sp.. i have no idea how this one might do. i found limited cultural information for this one, but a few vague references to growing in ponds.

this link goes to an Aquarium Design Group gallery picture of a paludarium with one of these...

http://www.aquariumdesigngroup.com/#...=10000&s=7&p=6

that sorta looks like it might have its roots up above the water.
post #159 of 428 (permalink) Old 06-10-2009, 05:17 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I have one of the plants in the second picture. It is grown terrestrial-ly -regular house plant style. in those conditions it grows pretty fast - new leaf or 2 every week- super cool looking foliage huh! I'll be interested to hear if it grows better in more humidity.

cheers-K

20 Long Journal
5 gallon planted betta tank
6 gallon planted
post #160 of 428 (permalink) Old 06-10-2009, 05:19 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

i'll try to remember to post an update. it might just rot and croak with its roots wet. that pot actually gave me three divisions. i saved the third to plant in a regular potting medium to go into my indoor greenhouse. it really is a cool-looking plant.

i know that that particular peace lily will grow in riparium conditions because i have tried it before. that one is a good cheap way to fill in some space in a new tank.
post #161 of 428 (permalink) Old 06-10-2009, 05:34 AM
I ♥ BBA!

Seeing your full tank shot from earlier makes me like the new light more and more. That spathe on the crypt bronze is amazing. I love the detail you were able to capture. Two shades of violet in there. Beautiful!

post #162 of 428 (permalink) Old 06-10-2009, 05:42 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

thanks very much. i like this new light much better too. pendants are so much preferable to strip lights sliding around on top of the tank and getting in the way.

i have four different wendtii vars with spathes right now. they all have that same purple under the hood, but the sizes of the spathes vary quite a bit. the 'Tropica' spathe for me is just an inch or so long, and the tube is whitish in color.
post #163 of 428 (permalink) Old 06-10-2009, 06:07 AM
I ♥ BBA!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hydrophyte View Post
i like "inept depth" the best. i thought of a few more:
  • Wide Screen Plasma
  • Wallpaper
  • Pressed Plants
  • Storm Door
  • Ant Farm
  • Lacking 3rd Dimension

do you know how to start a forum club? is it just a question of copying a signature, or is there any way to subscribe? i should do a search it might be explained somewhere.

my crypts are all in hanging planters. the floating trellis rafts just have the ferns and Anubias.
Hahaha! Pressed Plants is my favorite! Reminds me of the Amazon I had in my tank.

I don't know how I missed this, sorry. Go to this link: http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/groups/ and scroll to the bottom. In the middle, create a new link. http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/group.php?do=create

Edit - after burning myself twice and almost dropping the light fixture in the tank, I am starting to like the idea of a pendant light.

post #164 of 428 (permalink) Old 06-10-2009, 06:22 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

roger that.

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/gr...llon-club.html

i'll post a club invite in the Lounge.
post #165 of 428 (permalink) Old 06-10-2009, 06:48 AM
I ♥ BBA!

Joined. We gotta find rekles75. Ant farm, lol. I am cracking up.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode