18K views 106 replies 23 participants last post by  dru 
#1 ·
Equipment:
Standard 20 long
Odyssea 30" 4x24 T5HO
SunSun 302
GLA paintball reg
ista reactor

I am going to dry start this tank for a couple of months while co2 is situated. Currently running the stock 6500k bulbs for 10 hours a day. After I flood I plan to use 2 daylight bulbs for a noontime burst and running a colormax and maybe an ATI purple plus or a Giesemann super purple in the other bay for ~6 hours a day. I will either suspend the light with bent electrical conduit or rig an Ikea clothes rack.

See less See more
#3 ·
Thanks for the link to your journal. I have rooted fissidens to driftwood a few times but never in a dry start. I always used glue because when I tried to tie it on there were always too many loose strands. After a month or so it roots and takes off. I would imagine that doing an emersed dry start would allow it to really root in well, though. You don't have to worry about water currents pulling it apart and by the time you fill it, I think it'll be established pretty well.

#5 ·
Finally flooded today. I was seeing some melt in my HC but I noticed good roots and the DHG was sending out runners.

As usual, things didn't go as expected. The 90° elbow that came with the Ista reactor leaked, so I had to use a Fluval diffuser I had around. I ordered the large ista reactor so hopefully that will fit the Sun Sun 302 tubing better.

Most of the Fissidens attached but some floated when I filled. I threw in 4 ramshorn snails and hopefully they will keep the BGA at bay and munch on some of the melted HC.

I have some Blyxa showing up tomorrow and I am going to plant it in the corners.

I removed a bulb out of each bay so I am running two T5HOs until I can suspend the light. 6 hour photoperiod at least to start

#6 ·
Planted the blyxa and AR 'mini'

Does this look like AR 'mini'? I have the regular variety and it has the same size leaves. It grows tall though

I noticed a slow leak in one of my hose connections on the Sun Sun tubing. ~1 drop every 10 minutes or so. I unscrewed the clamp and tried to push it on further and re-tightened everything. It still leaks.

#14 ·
I bought the clamps but when I disconnected the hose from the U bend I noticed I made a really bad cut on the tubing that was causing it to leak.

I cut it a little better and no more leaks. I will save the clamps and use them on the Ista reactor connections. I got my co2 hooked up to a timer so now everything is automatic.

I dosed:
5ml of Excel
5ml of N
10ml of P
3ml of Iron

Tomorrow I will dose:
5ml of Excel
7ml of K
5ml of Comp

I will be away from the tank until Monday. When I return I will do a 50% WC, switch to DIY ferts, and install the reactor. Hopefully I don't come back to 20 gallons of water on my floor!

I think the HC is happy to be underwater:

#20 ·
I got the large ISTA reactor but the connections are exactly the same size as the smaller one so I returned it. Still looking for a long term solution to dissolve the co2 pre-output. I may end up getting an inline 16/22 diffuser.

I did a 50% water change and started using DIY ferts. I used Zorfox's calculator. I added 5ml of excel after the water change along with 15ml of Macro ferts.

I am seeing some growth in the HC and the AR 'mini' has perked up a bit. Seeing some GSA on the glass. I will be changing some things around but this is how it sits now:

#22 ·
Thanks!

For starters I wish I would have moved the wood a little closer to the glass, used less HC, and planted the DHG in front of the curve of the wood on the left side. There just isn't any room for stem plants in the back. I feel it lacks depth

#25 ·
I am looking for suggestions on what to plant behind the driftwood on the right. The blyxa is not going to grow tall enough

My frontrunner is Hygrophila corymbosa

I am also dealing with a ton of surface scum. There is a skimmer that came with the SunSun but I can't figure it out. I was thinking about getting the Eheim Skim but I just looked and Amazon jacked the price up. Any other options?

Looking at maybe the Aquatop PFE 6 HOB?

#26 ·
Another trip to the hardware store

Picked up a 1/2" to 3/4" brass coupling. I am going to use hose clamps on all of the connections. I am really new to plumbing configs, is there any issue here?

The 1/2" connection will go to the reactor connection and the 3/4" connection is to the filter connections

#27 ·
40% WC today and dosed 15ml of macros and 5ml of Excel

The bio film got so thick on the surface it coagulated and fell into the water column

Ordering a Eheim Skim today and I'm going to run it on a timer opposite the co2

Move one of the Blyxa from the right corner and planted some hygro corymbosa

Trimmed runners of HC that were headed toward the DHG

Reactor is still on my to do list

#28 ·
I calculated my co2 at 2.6bps. I thought it was much higher but I feel that is actually a good level long term

Dosed 15ml of micros

The HC is going nuts, I am going to have to trim it next WC

I am seeing some new growth on the AR mini, a couple of more nodes and I will top it and replant

The Fissidens is floating in a couple of spots, I am planning on super gluing it in those areas to the wood

#30 ·
Thanks BettaBabe.

I am noticing some long stringy algae. I added 3 amano shrimp

Dosed 15ml of macros and 5ml or excel

My Eheim Skim arrives tomorrow, I will dose 15ml of micros

Saturday is 50% WC, 15ml of macros, and 5ml of excel

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.