5g Chi Betta Tank - The Planted Tank Forum
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 1 (permalink) Old 04-07-2015, 11:20 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower
PTrader: (0/0%)
5g Chi Betta Tank

Got some leftover equipment from a friend who decided she wasn't cut out for fish-keeping. Pulled a few features out of our 20L and purchased a few new things just for our handsome fellow's enjoyment.

5g Fluval Chi (removed the filter/light that comes with it)
Clip-on shop light (working on building a housing)
AquaClear 30 (set to lowest possible flow)
Fluval Co2 20
small, unidentified heater

Substrate: dusting of potting soil, moderate layer rinsed all-purpose sand, white gravel on top
Self-sourced river rocks
Small piece driftwood from our LFS

Java Ferns (probably too many)
Java Moss (1/4 ball from LFS)
Peacock Fern (1 small bunch)
Anubis Nano (2)
Lucky Bamboo

1 male Betta (Germaine)
2 mystery snails

I added the CO2 set up not quite a week ago, but the indicator I bought is still not showing that my level is at the recommended range. I'm planning on buying a ceramic diffuser instead of the diving bell, but in the mean time--does anyone have any experience dosing more than 2xdaily (manufacturer's recommendation)?

This morning I read that mystery snails actually don't eat algae, unlike Nerites. That could explain some things about my green, slimy glass, but I'm pretty dissapointed that I didn't know this before. I may try to move these into our 20L and get some Nerites to keep in the Chi--Germaine really dislikes it when I try to scrub his walls during water changes.

Planning to add some shrimp as soon as the plants get a bit more established/the cherries go on sale at the LFS.
I don't have good pictures because Germaine swims too fast, but I'll try to get some this afternoon and post.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode