Finally my Dream 180g Discus show tank - Page 2 - The Planted Tank Forum
 61Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 112 (permalink) Old 04-05-2015, 02:40 AM
Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by II Knucklez II View Post
Yes they do I have been to his hatchery before its awesome. BTW lowe might be looking for some light for the tank, low light fixture is what I'm looking for but I know at 2ft deep it should be find with one fixture on each side.
What do you recommend?
How high of a substrate? For me, a MonsterRAY is a must if going w/ discus. It puts out around 14 at 24" deep which will sadly put you at the low low end. Possibly supplement it with a cheap StingRAY.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 112 (permalink) Old 04-05-2015, 12:52 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Mc View Post
Nice tank! I think 15 would be ideal with the rest of your bioload. Sounds like you have done your research and have a great plan. Just looked at Wattley's strains, those red snakeskins look sweet. What strains are you thinking? Can't wait to see this come together.
Ya that's what I was thinking and as for which ones I really don't know. I'm going going to go and pick out what I like and they will all be different.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowe View Post
How high of a substrate? For me, a MonsterRAY is a must if going w/ discus. It puts out around 14 at 24" deep which will sadly put you at the low low end. Possibly supplement it with a cheap StingRAY.
substrate will be about 1-2 inches high but I am going to have high rock work on one side of the tank but I am looking to do low light, since I want to do as less maintenance as possible to the actual scape. Is there any data on par for those lights? Because at 14 par @ 24" doesn't sound bad
post #18 of 112 (permalink) Old 03-16-2016, 02:53 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

OK so took a lil more then a month to set up everything up and I'm still not done. Of course life happen and having other things come up plus we decided to remodel the house so its almost been a year but better late then never.
Just finished plumbing the tank and got wood in from Mr. Tom Barr (thanks Tom!) So i just have the wood in there, to let it sink and release all the gunk.

Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1458089737251.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	54.5 KB
ID:	606089

As for the specs on the tank i used all 45 degree elbows and pipe is 1" as for the pump I'm using ehiem compact plus 5000 (1350ghp) which is perfect and quiet.
Lights i got the two 36 inch 24/7 planted led from finnex. I have it on a Mr. Aqua tank right now and i love it.
I bought a 75 g on Craigslist for $20 and bought the refugium kit on eBay for $100 if i remember correctly. For Media, i just ordered two 8x8x1 inch marine pure blocks and got a pack of 8 200 mircon socks.

Next need to buy rocks from a local rock place and need to find good sand anyone have experience with sand and where to buy. I don't like the play sand you find cause it has a lot of stuff that isn't sand like silicone, dirt, etc...
As for fish i have 6 GBR and 6 gold rams in a holding tank waiting for tank to be cycled. Water will be 75% RO/DI and 25% tap because my tap water is at 9 Ph and 360+ TDS.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1458089771469.jpg
Views:	251
Size:	67.6 KB
ID:	606097  

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1458089804817.jpg
Views:	241
Size:	48.3 KB
ID:	606105  

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1458089820887.jpg
Views:	243
Size:	53.9 KB
ID:	606113  

patfat likes this.

Last edited by II Knucklez II; 03-16-2016 at 03:20 AM. Reason: change pic

post #19 of 112 (permalink) Old 03-16-2016, 03:35 AM
Planted Member

Very cool setup - and that wood looks awesome! What exactly did you ask Tom for? Just a random package or something specific?

Walker of the world's weird wall.
post #20 of 112 (permalink) Old 03-16-2016, 10:12 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

I actually went over to Cali for the Superbowl and do a road trip down the Pacific coast hwy so i asked Tom if it was OK to pass by his house to pick out what i wanted. But u can send him pics of other tanks with wood u like around the size u have and he could pick them out for u
RxFisher likes this.
post #21 of 112 (permalink) Old 03-16-2016, 01:37 PM
Planted Member

Going to Bernie's for stone? I'm trying to find a good stone yard with ying stone down here. May end up having a pallet shipped.
post #22 of 112 (permalink) Old 03-16-2016, 02:27 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by r45t4m4n View Post
Going to Bernie's for stone? I'm trying to find a good stone yard with ying stone down here. May end up having a pallet shipped.
Lol yes i am its right by my house but they don't have the bigger size I'm looking for so i was going to settle for getting a bunch of smaller rocks and pileing them up.

If you find a place that carries ying stone let me know. BTW does that stone effect water chemistry?
post #23 of 112 (permalink) Old 03-16-2016, 02:36 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Want to see close up of the child in playpen in previous photo.
No fair croppin out pictures of children.
Never had none of my own,(I don't think) but have gobs of nieces and nephew's.
post #24 of 112 (permalink) Old 03-19-2016, 05:56 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadmaster View Post
Want to see close up of the child in playpen in previous photo.
No fair croppin out pictures of children.
Never had none of my own,(I don't think) but have gobs of nieces and nephew's.
Lol have to start them young.

Got some rocks for the tank came out to $100 for all this.

Going to make the scape like two small islands on either side of tank with wood coming for them to the middle.

Sent from my SM-G930T1 using Tapatalk
post #25 of 112 (permalink) Old 03-19-2016, 08:08 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Re; your inquiry about good sand with discus:
I use nothing but #20 grade density, quartz-based silica pool filter sand, obtained only from a pool or spa supply store ( don't get it @ a big box store, because you never really know what you're really getting- despite what they tell you).

So I strongly recommend true PF Sand to you - large-grained and dense enough so that it won't get siphoned out when vacuuming, won't free-float into the water column when disturbed, so won't get into & clog up filtration units, and won't compact heavily like play sands, so the risk of development of anaerobic gas pockets is far less than other sands - just don't layer it to more than approx. 2.5"- 3.0" max. - enough depth to grow rooted plants well - and it's very easy to keep squeaky clean.

I prefer the white PFS - here's one of my tanks to give you some idea of the look:

ROYWS3 and Seetide like this.
post #26 of 112 (permalink) Old 03-19-2016, 09:22 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by discuspaul View Post
Re; your inquiry about good sand with discus:
I use nothing but #20 grade density, quartz-based silica pool filter sand, obtained only from a pool or spa supply store ( don't get it @ a big box store, because you never really know what you're really getting- despite what they tell you).

So I strongly recommend true PF Sand to you - large-grained and dense enough so that it won't get siphoned out when vacuuming, won't free-float into the water column when disturbed, so won't get into & clog up filtration units, and won't compact heavily like play sands, so the risk of development of anaerobic gas pockets is far less than other sands - just don't layer it to more than approx. 2.5"- 3.0" max. - enough depth to grow rooted plants well - and it's very easy to keep squeaky clean.

I prefer the white PFS - here's one of my tanks to give you some idea of the look:

Awesome great info and I'm glad u said that cause that's what I got. Also glad to hear its easy to clean up!!! Nice tank btw!!

Sent from my SM-G930T1 using Tapatalk
post #27 of 112 (permalink) Old 03-19-2016, 09:37 PM
Algae Grower

Driftwood in the tank looks awesome! Can't wait to see this one progress.
post #28 of 112 (permalink) Old 03-22-2016, 01:53 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seetide View Post
Driftwood in the tank looks awesome! Can't wait to see this one progress.
Thanks I'm really excited, should have plants in a week to set up scape
post #29 of 112 (permalink) Old 03-22-2016, 03:15 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Looking forward to seeing your first approach to starting your set-up - I expect it will be good !
post #30 of 112 (permalink) Old 03-22-2016, 06:45 PM
Wannabe Guru

Great setup, I really like the driftwood. Have you chosen your discus yet, will it be a mixed discus tank or just one color? Personally I would do a group of all the same color, has a lot more of a visual effect IMO.

Eheim Pimp Club,# 496
25g 60-P iwagumi , 33g iwagumi cube, 125g high tech, 7g cube, 12g long

Tags
180 gallon, 180g, discus, discus tank, miami

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode