The Planted Tank Forum banner

Immortal1 75g journey (Crinum Flower)

144K views 980 replies 82 participants last post by  Immortal1 
#1 · (Edited)
Well, guess it is about time to start my Tank Journal for my new 75 gallon planted tank. Hoping to create a beautiful planted tank similar to many of the great tanks seen here on TPT. To start with, my first tank was/is a 20H tank with plants and fish - started that one around October 2014. After shuttling 5 gallon buckets of water around the house I decided my next tank is gonna be a LOT more user friendly.

This pic probably should be added to the "Whats in the cabinet" thread, LOL. Maybe a little over the top but oh well.

And yes, the frame of the stand is probably strong enough to support 3 full 75 gallon tanks stacked on top of each other, LOL.

And now onto something a little more interesting. This is basically how things look in the tank at the moment.

And this is basically how the new stand looks as of 3/28/2015. Still have more work obviously, but it is atleast some progress.

See less See more
#3 · (Edited)
LOL, not as much dedication as you might think :)

The duct into the living room is 2"x12". The metal cover over the duct is 4" tall by 18" long.
If I ever remove the tanks and stand, I only need to remove the piping and re-install the original vent cover - you will never know there was holes in the floor. In this pic you can see the original vent cover.

#52 ·
Do you happen to work for a news station?

I'm getting some gut feeling you may have many leather-bound books and the apartment smells of rich mahogany.
-Burgundy reference.

LOL, not as much dedication as you might think :)

The duct into the living room is 2"x12". The metal cover over the duct is 4" tall by 18" long.
If I ever remove the tanks and stand, I only need to remove the piping and re-install the original vent cover - you will never know there was holes in the floor. In this pic you can see the original vent cover.

#5 ·
VERY NICE to have water and a drain at your tank stand!!! Only thing I am wondering about is where is the stand pipe/floor drain going? If it is going into sewer line you will need a p/s trap in the drain line to prevent sewer gas from entering the house! If it is just under the house you could cause a mold/mildew problem if you do a lot of water changes or the humidity is high in your area.

Other than that everything looks great! MAN I WISH I had that much room under my house!!! We have less than half that much, so there is no way my broke back butt is squeezing under there! LOL

You have picked out some very nice drift wood pieces too! The plants look nice and healthy too! Did you get them locally? If so it must be nice to have a LFS with plants a large drift wood that nice!

Anyway have fun with the 75g, and all the excitement that comes with beginning a new tank!

Take Care,
Drew

#6 ·
Thanks burr & Drew for the comments. Drew, the stand pipe drains down into the sump pit that is in the crawlspace under the house (second pic). From there it is discharged outside the house.

We have 2 LFS here that have HUGE amounts of drift wood on display. The one LFS does only freshwater which is really nice. They typically stock a lit of various plants and a huge assortment of fish. And when I say huge....

LOL

#9 ·
Thanks Dude. Will likely move my black skirt, serpea, and phantom Tetras from the 20H to the 75 once it settles down. Planning on adding some emerald green rainbow fish and some rams once the tank has been running smoothly few months. The 20H will likely get a bunch of tiger barbs (wife's favorite fish) to go with the various cory cats, bushy nose, and panda garra's.

As for plants, don't know yet. Still working thru building a co2 system. I did just get a Current USA Satellite + Pro for the 75 - wow, that is a nice lite!

#10 · (Edited)
Seems I might have a bit of an odd ball plant in my tank. According to the LFS, I have an Anubias Nangi (back left corner, right behind the Red Dwarf Lilies). Have done some research on this but did not find much information. Anybody here on the Forum have anything to add about this plant? Was kinda surprised when I noticed the flower forming.

#433 ·
Seems I might have a bit of an odd ball plant in my tank. According to the LFS, I have an Anubias Nangi (back left corner, right behind the Red Dwarf Lilies). Have done some research on this but did not find much information. Anybody here on the Forum have anything to add about this plant? Was kinda surprised when I noticed the flower forming.

Ok, lets give this a try...

Point taken Mr Immortal1. Point taken.

This is a stunning evolution! Congrats!

#12 ·

Small update - Got FISH!!!! Tank now has the following;
1 Bushy nose pleco
3 Big mystery snails
5 Black Skirt Tetras
6 Albino Cory Cats
6 Black Phantom Tetras
9 Serpea Tetras

Lot of fun watching them school around in various groups.

Should be stepping up to some pressurized cO2 in a week or so - wish me luck

#20 ·
Been a bit of time since I updated this thread so I figured I had better add a new pic. Everything has definitely grown in. Been trimming the Amazon Sword back atleast once a week. The crypts in the front right corner have filled in nicely. My java fern in the front left corner is nice and green. The wisteria in the back left really should be pruned back a bit but oh well :)

#21 · (Edited)
Some various videos of my 75 gallon tank. p.s., please ignore the TV playing in the background LOL and also the Table lamp reflections (yes, I suck at doing professional videos).

Feeding Time - what do you think? Too much food? Video is only 58 seconds long. By the time 2 minutes have passed there is really no visible food left.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wk-MI0YsYpg

Fat SAE - what do you think? Is this a female or am I over feeding them?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BpK9Yh4k-vU

#22 ·
LOVE the setup! I'm waiting on some disability back-pay from the VA & we'll have our house paid off, just to turn around & have one built. Our living room will have built-ins for 4-6 120-H's. I'll be a busy man!

#25 ·
Another update video of the tank. Am amazed how much things have grown in just 2 months. The blyxa haponica hase gotten much larger and the java fern in the front left is also much fuller. Seems like once or twice a week I am cutting our Amazon sword leaves. Did not realize then grow so fast. Anyway, enough rambling, onto the show...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JGBomlW1wi8

#26 ·
May I suggest you make those plugs under your fish tanks GFCI receptacles for your own protection and your fishes too. You can change the circuit breaker out for one that serves also as a GFCI breaker. A GFCI receptacle needs good grounding too, so make sure you have that right or they wont work correctly and protect you. I have witnessed what 120 volts can do to someone and am a firm believer in GFCI receptacles. 120 volts will short circuit your nervous system freezing your muscles and paralyzing that part of your body leaving you immobilized as it cooks your muscles from the inside out and eventually kills you.

#27 ·
LOL, guess I have not looked at or updated this in awhile. FYI jcstank, all the electrical under the tanks are routed to a GFCI breaker that is mounted under the outside corner of the adjacent 40g tank. From there the power comes from a dedicated circuit located just outside the footprint of the tanks.
I am ok with eating fish - but definitely did not "cook" or zap the fish in my tanks :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.