Endlers and Plants: 1st Planted Tank - The Planted Tank Forum
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 1 (permalink) Old 03-27-2015, 06:59 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower
Endlers and Plants: 1st Planted Tank

It's about time I stopped lurking and got some feedback on my first planted tank. First off, sorry for the cell phone pics. One all consuming hobby at a time.

Mr Aqua 12 Long

Current Satellite Planted+

Hydro 150 Canister
Hydro In-line heater
Pressurized CO2 with inline diffuser
AZOO aquarium substrate

EI Dosing 3x week

Flame Moss
Fissidens Fontanus
Anubias nana (petite)
Anubias "golden"
Eleocharis belem
Staurgyne Repens
Alterna Reineckii "variegated"
Alterna Reineckii "Rosefolia"
Ludwiga Repens
Limnophila Aquaticum?

Threadfin Rainbowfish

I started this tank in August of last year after having been out of the hobby for a decade. Thanks to the resources available here and on the Barr Report I decided to take the plunge into a full blown planted setup.

August 2014 - Dry start with E. belem, HC and AR "variegated". Misted twice a day to keep the humidity.

September 2014 - HC filled in quickly the E. belem was a lot slow but I may have planted too deeply. paked flame moss into the Ohko stone and spread fissidens on the branchwood.

November 2014 - Finally flood the tank with no clouding. Added S. repens right after flooding.

January 2015 - Let the moss go with no trimming. At this point I was not dosing ferts, only excel every day with an 8 hour photoperiod. The clado ran rampant on the fissidens covered branchwood and worked itself into every nook and cranny in the tank.

Feburary 2015 - I added the pressurized CO2 system in the middle of January and started bi-weekly water changes and NPK/Micro dosing (EI).

Algae was coming under control and the growing RCS colony did a good job of helping to bring it under control.

March 2015
- The algae is mostly under control now, regular Excel spot treatments, mechanical removal and steady CO2 have helped signifcantly. The fissidens is finally starting to take off and the AR is growing well. I've been propagating the S. repens heavily and have went through a few minor rescapes since adding CO2.

It's been an algae filled ride but slowly the tank is coming into balance. Thanks for looking!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode