Demonbreedr's 5.5gal | Unnamed - Setup 4/10 - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-13-2009, 04:43 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Demonbreedr's 5.5gal | Unnamed - Setup 4/10

I decided to keep a journal on my 5.5gal...I'm hoping to have Low Light Plants and it be very easy to care for.

Here's what I have "on the list":
Laterite (to add into the Inert Gravel)
New Strip Light (AGA, Cherry/black Trimmed -- 14W)
Glass Lid
Penguin 100B Filter
Crypts, Anubias, More Mosses, Congo Ferns, etc...
The betta to get better -- He's going into QT for Ich and he looks bad...I hope he gets better!

I'm kinda thinking maybe if I lose the betta...I'll put in Zebra Rasboras and Yellow Shrimp. That's what I was hoping for in my 10gal...but that tank turned into a disaster. This tank will be better.

Wish me luck...

I'll update as I get supplies, fish and plants.

Last edited by demonbreedr16; 05-03-2010 at 06:20 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-08-2009, 02:42 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Talking Update time!!

I'm pretty happy with how this tank is doing!! It's literally turning into a Jungle!!

Part of me wants to put all this tank's "inhabitants" into a 10gal and use this 5gal as a Crabitat.

Anyways,

Here's the pics:

How things were for a while

After the change.

Now.

Some cool news;

I'm going to be getting some Java Moss and Water Sprite AKA Floating Fern free...

Bad news, Snails and Fry. That's not that bad except I have to keep the 10 running as a QT tank.
post #3 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-12-2009, 03:11 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Another picture of the tank after the 4/11/09 cleaning/pruning thingy. Unfourtionatly, It's not the best..but the tank isn't at it's best either...it needs to grow out a bit again.

I added Salvina and Pistia from my 9gal Pond along with a Tiger Lotus my cray eat a few months ago...that is coming back nicely. Also is the E. Aungustifolius from my high-light 2.5gal that it wasn't doing well in. The Male Red Mickey Mouse Platy is from my 29gal because the Male Dalmation Molly almost killed him.
post #4 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-12-2009, 04:05 AM
I ♥ BBA!

I like your fish. He is very handsome. And you won me over with the platty!

Without Algae, death of mankind would be inevitable.
post #5 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-12-2009, 04:17 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Thanks!! He's so crazy....posing for the camera when I'm taking a picture of his tank and running when I try to take a picture of him!! The only really good one I got was the one that is my avatar. The platy is just kinda "there" and doesn't really care whatever I do...the betta watches from afar when I work on the tank...they are soo cool!!

Happy Easter!!
post #6 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-16-2009, 03:53 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Ok, Update time!!

I moved the Anarchnis out to the pond and the Guppy grass into my 29gal (all but one stem which I planted on the right hand side of this tank)...Then, I moved the Hygrophelia (Difformis and Polysperma 'Rosanervig') to the left hand corner of the tank, pulled the anubias out of my 29gal(3 of 'em--2 Nana and 1 Coffie), Added in Duckweed, More Snails, Floating Fern, Ricca, and tons of Java Moss. I also seperated the crypts.

It looks good! I have plans to buy 1 More Pot of Crypt Wentii 'Red', 1 more Anubias Nana or a 'Petite', and some of Sewingalot's Blaxya.

2 More things,

#1: This tank has no filter as I *um* threw it outside in anger...
#2: This tank's name is now "Moss Angeles" since that's what 97% of the bottom is now!

I'll have new pictures up soon...but I'm sick today, so sick, I called into work and said I couldn't come! Atleasdt I get to catch up on a bit of work on school and around the house.
post #7 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-17-2009, 12:20 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Picture Time!!

Wohoo!! It's Photo Worthy again!

Here is the tank with Flash on (1st time for this tank!):

Here is the tank with NO flash (what I'm used too!!):

And here is Raven Fins and Platy together(sorry it's so dark!! I had to use the flash for those too, they move to fast to disable it):

Hope you enjoy!
post #8 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-17-2009, 03:42 AM
I ♥ BBA!

Such a handsome pair! The platty looks a lot happier now. He must be excited not to be chased around so much.

Without Algae, death of mankind would be inevitable.
post #9 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-17-2009, 04:16 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Thanks again!!

They are cute...but Platty or Platy (google search show the latter; but whatever's fine) has been laying in the Sunset Hygrophelia and Hygrophelia Difformis alot recently. I do think he is happier into this tank than in with the male molly BTW. He's going on 2 and I think that's about the life of a livebearer. If he does die, I will miss him a LOT because now he comes up to me and begs alongside the betta!

------------

I'm sorry this tank has no "scape". I'm tryring to Emulate Nature by having no scape and letting the plants grow where they want too.

IDK if you noice, but most of my plants are from the S.E. Asia Area! I'm trying to kinda keep it a bio-type-ish tank for my betta.
post #10 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-19-2009, 12:21 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I cleaned the tank today and remembered I had a piece of DW soaking in my 9gal pond. I put the Anubias in it and took some new pictures:

post #11 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-01-2009, 01:37 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Crappy Update -- No Pic-ies

My tank is doing really well so I moved a few plants out (2 Floating ferns about the size of the tank theselves!) and a bit of Java Moss though more needs to go, trimmed the Sunset Hygro and Wisteria and stopped. My life has trampled over it's self!

My tank is down by about 4"; but with work, the GF, school, and the other animals; the fish have become 2nd citizens. For example after a whole moth (or 2), I FINALLY cleaned my 29gal's filter (which was running but not filtering if you understand).

The betta nearly died in this tank so he's now into a 1gal Hawkeye on my Computer Table. I'll keep him up with me until either he dies or he gets better. I really need to finish up assembling my new (desktop) computer so I can put it down below.

Other stokcing is Gambusia Fry, a Molly, a Platy, along 1 Neon and 1 Glowlight Tetras.

Final plans for this tank may be to add a Hygrophelia Polysmera, an Anubias var. Nana 'Petite', and some new Crypt Wentii. I'm also going to do a 100% WC, add in the new Equiptment (along with Laterite), Scrub the glass well, and the new inhabitants. I'm not sure if I want another betta in here; but I know I want some RCS and Ottos.
post #12 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-23-2009, 07:20 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Well, I ended up tearing this tank down a while back...but yesterday, I bought some new [brown] gravel and started it back up!!

It's got no fauna [at ALL; not even snails!] for now being that my well water is SUPER saturated with Co2; it makes my plants Pearl!

For the Flora, it's got:
3x Water Wisterias
1x Sunset Hygro[the rest died ; but getting more]
TONSx Java Moss
1x Rotilla Indica [Getting more]
1x Rapidly Growing Crypt Wendtii "Red"
1x THIN leaved Elodea
3x E. Aungustifolius [Adding in some E. Tennellus 'Micro']
2x Anubias Nana

It needs some more plants, but I'm being very patient and letting things grow out & thrive before I add in any more. I'm not in any hurry. I'll get some pics up when the plants & glass stops bubbling though!

Last edited by demonbreedr16; 07-24-2009 at 12:31 AM.
post #13 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-23-2009, 09:12 PM
Wannabe Guru

Send a message via Yahoo to malaybiswas
your pics are not showing up.
post #14 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-23-2009, 11:35 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

My old pictures were ALL deleted from my P.B. account [that's why it says they were moved or deleted]...but in it's prime heres what it looked like:

Then here was another good scape:

It's got the same 'scape BTW.
post #15 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-23-2009, 11:43 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Oh yeah!!

I added animals:

Here's what went in:
--~10 Endlers Livebearers [smaller ones]
--~5 Ghost Shrimp

I'm gonna add more in later...but I'm also waiting for it to cycle and I'm going to be very carefull to NOT overstock.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode