Planning my first tank - 60p Any advice? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-23-2015, 05:34 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Planning my first tank - 60p Any advice?

Hi all, starting my journey here. I'll update this top thread with the gear/equipment and fauna I'm using (for my own sake)

Goal: An Iwagumi layout

These items I do have: (Updated: April 2, 2015)

Tank: ADA 60p 60x30x30
Stand: Ikea Stuva 60x30 (perfect fit) slightly modified for minor reinforcement
Lighting: Finnex Fugeray Planted+

These items I don't have but am leaning towards or have on order:

Filter: Eheim 2217
Heater: Hydor ETH 200 inline 1/2"
Co2: GLA Pro regulator, 10lb CO2 tank with a DIY reactor (I have the parts and will post the build soon)
Lily pipes: Cal Aqua Influx X3 (which might be too large/long - well see) and a Cal Aqua Efflux F2

Last edited by sousvide; 04-06-2015 at 06:25 AM. Reason: updated plans
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-23-2015, 06:17 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Planning my first tank - 60p Any advice?

Filter is fine, the next size up won't hurt.

Light will need to be 6-8" off tank to evenly illuminate 12" across. I run 2x ray 2 DS on 24", and right against tank, there is definitely light gap between evenly spaced strips when directly on tank.

Do yourself a favor and splurge on a whole CO2 assembly (nice 5lbtank, GLA reg and large disk diffusor my recommendations).

It scales up to any other tank in future, you can split the feed to handle multi-tanks from one reg, and most reliable source of carbon. Just do it.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-23-2015, 06:30 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Someone else posted a very similar thread. Check here for some thoughts that I and another have posted for their build.

First Planted Tank 17.1g, High Tech planning and build.

I'd recommend the VIV pipes, they're high quality. Check in the for sale thread, there's a guy on here, Chronados, that sells them for pretty cheap. Just use the search box for "VIV" his add will likely be the only one.

And I don't believe those plants are terribly sensitive to Excel (I'm only aware of vals and the "crunchy" mosses like pellia). I've got some crypt parva that did fine dosing excel. Crypts are pretty sturdy plants. Not sure about the others, I've never grown them before.

Your plan looks good so far though!

Corner tank - 12 gallon long - Wabi Kusa Attempts - Mini M - 25L Fluval Chi
You can never have too many tanks...just too little time.
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-24-2015, 02:57 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by sousvide View Post
What I want: An Iwagumi layout (I have Sansui stones atm) with some low CO2 carpeting plant like Marsilea Minuta, Cryptocoryne Parva, or Dwarf Sag (though that would mean I couldn't supplement with Excel)
You can use Excel with those plants. Marsilea Minuta is the only 1 that may need Co2. I have seen some grow it in small tanks without adding Co2.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-24-2015, 04:22 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilde View Post
You can use Excel with those plants. Marsilea Minuta is the only 1 that may need Co2. I have seen some grow it in small tanks without adding Co2.
Yeah, I saw a video on some Minuta. It looked like you can get really broad leaves if grown emmersed but then I don't think it'll fair well in tank. Grown in the tank, the leaves were really small which...I actually don't mind so long as it carpets.

Anyway, I'm still researching CO2 regulators and reactors and...everything in between.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-24-2015, 04:43 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by sousvide View Post
Yeah, I saw a video on some Minuta. It looked like you can get really broad leaves if grown emmersed but then I don't think it'll fair well in tank. Grown in the tank, the leaves were really small which...I actually don't mind so long as it carpets.

Anyway, I'm still researching CO2 regulators and reactors and...everything in between.
Well for a small tank a paintball Co2 system would work. I am thinking about doing that. The main thing is to get a good needle valve. If you are on a tight budget check out this tread on DIY Co2 with citric acid.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-25-2015, 07:06 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I'll likely be deciding soon on the CO2 setup. I'll probably go with a GLA PRO with a 10lb tank and a DIY reactor. That's probably overkill.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-06-2015, 06:23 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Ok, I've managed to finally try out a layout or two.

Here's one that I've settled on:

But I still like the angles on the one of my practice runs:

I have a week or two before I finalize the layout and start planting...though I need to figure out which plants I'll go for as well.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-06-2015, 06:21 PM
Planted Member

Send a message via Skype™ to Mitashade
Love your stone, gorgeous textures. Your angles look great as they are. What carpet plant are you going with to set off the crypts? I think utricularia graminifolia would look great with this one.

post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-07-2015, 06:20 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks! I haven't decided on a carpet plant yet. I love the look of UG but I've heard they can up-root and float. I'm assuming this is happens to a lot of carpet plants IF you don't trim them? I'm planning on a DSM to see if that helps establish roots better.

Anyway, changed the layout to a slightly more traditional Iwagumi where the primary and secondary stones are paired and other (Soeishi?) stones (in this case, two stones) create a flow/support/balance on the other side.

I think I like it better...but not sure if the secondary stone is too large and/or the soeishi stones are too small.

post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-07-2015, 07:30 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

My first stab at selecting plants:
Foreground carpet: DHG
Mid (accent): Baby tears OR Ammania Sp. Bonsai
Background: Echinodorus tenellus (Pygmy Chain Sword) OR Lilaeopsis mauritiana

Again, I plan to go with a dry start unless someone talks me out of it. I think all my plant selections can be grown emersed.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode