first time 100 gallon heavy planted tank - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 45 (permalink) Old 03-20-2015, 05:56 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

first time 100 gallon heavy planted tank

Started this tank about 2 month ago. Still learning as I go. I got inspired when I saw the display tank at my lfs. It use to house African cichlids for over 3 year but there is alway problem with them fighting and killing off each other over the year To the point that I just give up. Right now I'm going for the jungle theme. No co2 atm but I'm looking to getting 1 soon.

Tank is 60X20x20, water change once a week 30-35%.

Filter: fluval fx5, Rena xp4, Marineland penguin 400. 400 watt heater.

Lighting: 48' finnex planted+, ray 2, Marineland double right led. 6-7 hour a day

Substation: 180lb of floramax.

Plants are: amazon sword, anubias, java fern, dwarf sagg, jungles val, water wisteria, and some other miscellaneous.

Livestock: 7 angelfish, 7 torpedo barb, 7 small clown loaches, 4 cardinal, 2 sae, 2 flying foxes, 3 boesemani rainbow, 3 turquoise rainbow, 3 dwarf neon rainbow.

Dosing: excel daily until I get pressurized co2. flourish once a week. Iron and potassium every other day. 40 root tabs as soon as they arrive from amazon.

Any comment and feedback is welcome.

[IMG]

[/IMG]

Last edited by Sky817; 03-31-2015 at 03:47 PM. Reason: Picture
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 45 (permalink) Old 03-20-2015, 07:38 PM
kep
Planted Tank Obsessed

post #3 of 45 (permalink) Old 03-20-2015, 09:16 PM
Planted Member

Looks very nice
post #4 of 45 (permalink) Old 03-31-2015, 03:41 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Here an update of the tank. Added some nerite snails to clean up some algae on my old Amazon sword. Took out the 7 clown loaches because I catch one of them destroyed my dwarf sagg and baby's tear. Still waiting for GLA to be back in stock so I can order. So far my algea is under control but I'm afraid the co2 system will trigger a new algea outbreak. My angel and rainbows are doing great. I'm feeding them frozen brine shrimp every other day but I should cut back Due to protein build up on the water surface. Here is a shot after a water change.

post #5 of 45 (permalink) Old 03-31-2015, 03:46 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Wow...very nice looking.
post #6 of 45 (permalink) Old 03-31-2015, 04:00 PM
Planted Tank Guru

That is a really nice looking tank you've got going there!
post #7 of 45 (permalink) Old 04-01-2015, 05:32 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks all. I took off the blue background. I want a more natural look. Would black be better or just leave it as it is?

post #8 of 45 (permalink) Old 04-01-2015, 05:53 PM
Algae Grower

Go with a black background it makes the color pop more.
post #9 of 45 (permalink) Old 04-01-2015, 08:57 PM
Planted Tank Guru

i don't use a background in my tank either. I had black and after a couple months took it down. Love the tank though, great job.
post #10 of 45 (permalink) Old 04-02-2015, 03:05 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky817 View Post
Here an update of the tank. Added some nerite snails to clean up some algae on my old Amazon sword. Took out the 7 clown loaches because I catch one of them destroyed my dwarf sagg and baby's tear. Still waiting for GLA to be back in stock so I can order. So far my algea is under control but I'm afraid the co2 system will trigger a new algea outbreak. My angel and rainbows are doing great. I'm feeding them frozen brine shrimp every other day but I should cut back Due to protein build up on the water surface. Here is a shot after a water change.

c02 would keep the algae down..I can't explain why, but I am sure someone else here can..lol. Your tank is gorgeous!
post #11 of 45 (permalink) Old 04-02-2015, 10:53 AM
Planted Tank Guru

I'd go with no background if I had a short tank like this. My plants don't grow to the surface on mine, so there is a lot of empty background that would show endless wires and pipes. I'm a fan of black over blue though.
post #12 of 45 (permalink) Old 04-03-2015, 03:13 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freemananana View Post
I'd go with no background if I had a short tank like this. My plants don't grow to the surface on mine, so there is a lot of empty background that would show endless wires and pipes. I'm a fan of black over blue though.
Yeah I were thinking of keeping it clear but The water seem kind of hazy and washed out to me. Painted it and love it

post #13 of 45 (permalink) Old 04-03-2015, 06:00 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I would suggest you will need more macros when adding Co2. Flourish has insufficient nitrate/phosphate.

4ft CADE Planted Tank| Eheim Prof 3, 2217, 2213 (Purigen only) + 350 Skim, Reeflex UV 800 | HC300A Chiller | 3xKessil A360WE LED + Spectral Controller | Pres. CO2 + Aqua Medic Reactor1000 | DIY Fertz + 2 x Jabeo DP-4 | CAL AQUA LABS’ Black Earth & GreenBase subst. + root tabs
2ft CADE NT River Biotype | Eheim 2217 + 2213 | Kessil A360WE LED + Spectral Controller | Pres. CO2 + atomiser | DIY Fertz | ADA Africana + root tabs.

post #14 of 45 (permalink) Old 04-03-2015, 09:42 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

co2

Co2 will help keep algae down if done correctly , and with the proper ferts..and lighting.

post #15 of 45 (permalink) Old 04-08-2015, 01:51 AM
Algae Grower

Yeah, I got clear back just so I could put a background on it. It really helps. Also, plants love fish poop. I try to keep my tank at 10 to 20 PPM Nitrate so the plants are happy so I only change 25% each time. Eventually, I'll replace one the filters with a plant and algae scrubber refugium but for now my trapdoor snails and SAE are doing and OK job controlling algae. I also have 2 ghost shrimp running around but they do not seem to help much but having 3 smaller (2") SAE in 50 gallons make big difference on algae control.

I have coffee table tank and was having constant problems with it have over 30 PPM leading to constant water changes. I got some guy at a LFS to reluctantly (he thought it would not work) sell me some of his duckweed. Now that tank is always in a good nitrate range for plants (10 PPM) and other parameters have stabilized as well and the mystery film has gone away.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode