"$200" Betta Bowl (5.5G Tank) - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 34 (permalink) Old 02-21-2015, 05:20 AM Thread Starter
I may have MTS

"$200" Betta Bowl (5.5G Tank)

So as a few of you may have seen there was a post about a $200 dollar betta, this is the journal of her new apartment.

Equipment:
Tetra 5.5G(May change to something more stylish)
Hydor Theo 25W
Fluval C2 (may change)
Cheap light for now, DIY in the future.

Fauna:
White Platinum HM Betta (Betty White)
African Dwarf Frog (Aquasloth)
Something else, opinions welcome.

Flora:
Anubuias nana
Frogbit
Monywort
Java Ferns
Amazon Swords
Anacharis
Crypt Wendetii
Java Moss
Ludwigia Repens

I want to breed the betta, what would be a good male to pair her with?

Here is the tank Day 1:

4 Days in after plants melted:

Last edited by zerodameaon; 02-25-2015 at 09:50 PM. Reason: Grammer
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 34 (permalink) Old 02-21-2015, 07:14 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Flora and Fauna are reversed in initial post.

That's a 200 dollar betta?
Very interesting, would try the most docile of males to breed to insure her survival.

Subscribing.

Emersed Tub Club #27
post #3 of 34 (permalink) Old 02-21-2015, 07:30 AM Thread Starter
I may have MTS

Ha, so they are thanks for pointing that out. Anyways the seller had her listed as $200, she sold then was relisted. I picked her up for 60 bucks on the relist.

Original post.
$200+ Betta
post #4 of 34 (permalink) Old 02-21-2015, 02:22 PM
Algae Grower

Beautiful Betta. What are your thoughts on getting some floating plants for her?
post #5 of 34 (permalink) Old 02-21-2015, 02:53 PM
Wannabe Guru

I'm glad she has room to spread her fins? She looks good. I'm glad she made it safely to you.
Have you bred bettas in the past?
A like colored male with good-ears should give you the results your looking for. It's a lot of work to breed them. Do a lot of research.
I would get another 10 gallon or 20 long and fill it 6 inches with water. Leave it bare bottom with some floaters or a couple potted aquatic plants. Some breeders I've seen use those glass chimneys for candles so the betta can be separate and still breath water from the surface- during introductions to the other sex. I would make sure the male has a bubble nest built before releasing her. Also a tip some folks cut a styrofoam cup in half the long way and float it upside down- tape it to the side of the tank and he will build under it. Indian almond leaf is supposed to be good for fin health after a battle.
Then you move the female back to her tank after the male has the eggs in the nest.
Good luck.
post #6 of 34 (permalink) Old 02-21-2015, 07:36 PM Thread Starter
I may have MTS

I have not bred them in the past but I understand the scope of the undertaking and have a lot of reading to do and appreciate the advice. I have a lot of Frogbit in my other tank which now that you mention it would be a great addition to her tank.
post #7 of 34 (permalink) Old 02-22-2015, 05:56 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Frogsbit is a good start, maybe some dwarf water lettuce for thicker roots to hide in.
Something like a larger Anubias nana var. Petite, as every betta I see napping is on a leaf of that plant.

The catappa leaves also seem to make the males more excitable, and sometimes more aggressive.
blackwater works as well.

Dimming lights seems to work to calm males.

Best of luck with this project.

Emersed Tub Club #27
post #8 of 34 (permalink) Old 02-22-2015, 04:26 PM
Planted Member

Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada, Earth Prime, Sol System, Milky Way, Horrible Gelatinous Monster
She looks beautiful, congrats on the purchase! Great looking tank too!

Just like Maechael says above, my Betta naps/shelters on my Anubuias nana.

Subscribed.
post #9 of 34 (permalink) Old 02-24-2015, 07:06 PM Thread Starter
I may have MTS

So a update only 4 days in.

The plants I got for her tank melted back a bit, probably because of the low light, shipping shock and low ferts so they have been transferred to my big high tech tank for now. The low light plants are staying and I will be making it a crypt, java fern, and anubuias tank.

Miss Betta also got a new friend but it is problematic so far. She has a ADF now and neither of them bother each other. The issue is when I try to feed the frog tubifex worms in a dish per recommendations she will eat her floating portion after they thaw then go and swim in circles in the dish to get to get the frogs portion suspended in the water column so she can eat them as well.

post #10 of 34 (permalink) Old 02-24-2015, 07:15 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Be careful you don't over feed her. Over feeding could lead to dropsy. You may want to dangle the frogs worms above him with tweezers to make sure he gets his. Hopefully your betta won't swoop in and grab them up anyway.
post #11 of 34 (permalink) Old 02-24-2015, 07:55 PM Thread Starter
I may have MTS

Yeah that was a one time deal, she got to pig out but it won't be happening again. I have some petri dishes and some frog food on the way which I hope she is not as interested in. For now the frog is getting his food dangled like you said but in true ADF fashion he is a slow eater.
post #12 of 34 (permalink) Old 02-24-2015, 08:24 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

I think ADFs are the sloths of the aquarium world.
post #13 of 34 (permalink) Old 02-25-2015, 04:59 AM
Planted Tank Guru

The future RCS will be betta food, they're great food don't get me wrong. But you probably want to keep them in a separate tank / breeding container if you want to have a sustainable food source. I had a super red vibrant betta that lived off RCS and blue rilis. Never fed him, just threw in some more shrimp every month or so in dense plant cover as the population became depleted (they'll hide and run, but eventually get gobbled up).
post #14 of 34 (permalink) Old 02-25-2015, 05:42 AM Thread Starter
I may have MTS

Yeah I was worried she might see them as snacks. This tank will only get RCS if my main tank has the explosion of RCS I am hoping for, if not she will be living with her Aquasloth (thanks Varmint) friend, unless she starves him out. I feel that maybe a breeder box and netting Aquasloth for his dinner might be in order if she eats his frog pellets.
post #15 of 34 (permalink) Old 02-25-2015, 06:33 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Crushed snails from your tank also makes for a tasty snack. I like supplementing with some live feed, especially for such an elegant fish �� they have super strong jaw pressure, yummy calcium supplement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode