The Planted Tank Forum banner

MrAqua 48G Rimless

4K views 32 replies 11 participants last post by  junglefowl 
#1 · (Edited)
Hello all!

I have decided to get back into the hobby after taking a long break! Unfortunately it has been a little while since I have a tank but I decided to really go all out on this one!

Here are the specs:

Tank: MrAqua 48G Rimless
Filtration: 2x Eheim 2215
Lighting: 2x Current Satellite + Pro
C02: GLA PRO-1-SS CO2 Regulator
Heater:Hydor ETH 200 In-Line External Heater 200w
UV Sterilizer: Turbo Twist 3x 9w
Substrate: ADA AquaSoil (4 Bags)
Stand: Maple Stand purchased from Aquarium Shop ( sorry, don't know the brand :( )

Ferts:
1 x PPS-Pro Fertilizer Package [Includes 2 x 500mL Fertilizer Dispensers]

Glass:
Lily Pipe Outflow: 2x ADA LILY PIPE OUTFLOW P-4 (13MM)
Lily Pipe Inflow: 2x LILY PIPE INFLOW V-3 (13MM)
CO2: ADA POLLEN GLASS BEETLE 30MM(CO2)

Fish:
2x German Blue Rams (this is a must for me, my favorite fish!)
?x Guppies
?x Platys
?x Ottos

Plants:
This is where I am going to struggle. I know I want some type of carpeting plant, but I want a very densely planted tank. I am not exactly artistic so I am still looking around for my best options. Feedback here would be greatly appreciated!

Driftwood: I have some driftwood already purchased and will attach pictures of the pieces as they come in :)

Most of my stuff is still on the way but I have already received a good amount of it!

And now I am going to shamelessly show you how cute my dog is. LOOK AT MY DOG LOOK HOW CUTE SHE IS

See less See more
#3 ·
Wow! You really did go all out on the equipment!

I'm jealous haha.

Looking forward to seeing this develop.

Just looking at the stand, are you planning to put a board or something to support the full footprint of the tank? Or are you going to just have the tank supported along the edges of the stand?

#4 ·
Currently just planning on having the tank be supported along the edges :)

Bump:
Currently just planning on having the tank be supported along the edges :)
I may end up putting some ply wood down but it is my understanding that tanks are supported at their perimeter and not within the actual center of the bottom of the glass :)

If anyone could chime in that would be great!

#12 ·
I didn't mean to throw a monkey wrench into your plans. I don't have much experience with large tanks (or aquariums in general...). I'm just used to seeing rimless tanks sitting on flat boards instead of just around the edges. And personally I'm super paranoid about stuff like this so I err towards unnecessarily over built stands...

I think tanks with rims along the top and bottom can just be supported along the edges fine because the plastic rim is in contact with the stand and not the glass directly. That way any imperfections in the stand won't cause a sharp pressure point on the glass.

Maybe just put down a nice plywood board and use a foam mat to prevent any sharp pressure points.

I imagine the glass thickness on the bottom of the rimless is plenty thick to carry the water load with just edge support? I mean don't a lot of 55g stands only support around the edge?

#17 ·
You aren't being a wrench in the plans at all! And sorry it took me so long to reply to you! (I am going to do my best to reply to every person that takes the time to comment on this out of pure respect and envy that you all gave me the time of day to view this!)

I have decided to take the stand back and try to get one that is complete on the top! I like you get paranoid about these kind of things! I would rather be super duper safe as opposed to having an accident later!

#15 ·
You know, I probably could! But I am a worry wart and just want to make sure everything is done right :) so I don't think I am going to go that route. Just me being nit picky for safety!

Bump:
You know, I probably could! But I am a worry wart and just want to make sure everything is done right :) so I don't think I am going to go that route. Just me being nit picky for safety!
Just to touch up a little more! If it had a beam running running across about halfway through, I think I would be all for that!

#21 ·
Do you think that would be structurally sound enough? I am not too good with this stuff but if you could give me some tips is look into it

Bump:
Following along !
I`m interested in the same tank but also couldn't find a stand for it.
What brand was ur original stand ?
Hello! Thanks for checking in! The stand is actually a custom one from my local fish shop so I don't actually know :icon_frow

Bump:
Following along !
I`m interested in the same tank but also couldn't find a stand for it.
What brand was ur original stand ?
It was a custom one from my local fish shop and does not have a brand :(

#25 ·
I definitely think it would be sound enough. From the looks of the stand, you could place a 2x2 in the center, supported at the front and back by vertical 2x2s. Then put the plywood and mat on and you could have that beautiful stand and peace of mind.

#26 ·
Alrighty folks! Today has been a big day! Took my old stand back and got a new one. And got a few important packages today! Lets have a look!

New Stand!

The actual tank came in today too!

My other 3 bags of aqua soil came as well!

And my substrate additives came!

I also went ahead and had a digital scale sent to help with the fertilizer weighing!

And then my daily shameless plug of my dog!

So tomorrow I have a lot of Green Leaf Aquarium stuff coming in and hopefully my ADA garden mat will be here too!

#29 ·
I def liked the first one better. But unfortunately around here there were no stands that had full tops built in :(.. And if I wanted to get one, it was looking like it would be $5-600 and could take 2 months to get :(.However this one is still wood and actually if I had thought to do it, it has supports built through the middle as well that have support feet on the bottom!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.