Things have developed fast the last three days! I'll try to go in order,
Friday: I unexpectedly had to transfer my current fish into the new tank after my heater went out.
The petstore had, of coarse, already closed and it is way too cold to keep the poor fishes in a non heated tank over night, so there they are.
Saturday: I got my mystery bag of new plants from fellow pt member Spike! So excited for this, and thankful for the kindness of other hobbyists!
I decided to try to bleach dip the plants, which scared the crap out of me, but I've never had algae problems before and didn't want to start now. I did a 1/20 ratio and only held each plant fully submerged for about 10 seconds, probably didn't do much in the long run but hopefully it did something. I rinsed them extensively with luke warm water before placing them in the tank. I added some more potassium and iron to the tank to give them a little boost. All the plants are looking great a day later, hopefully their condition stays the same!
So now in my tank: 2 hatchet fish, one platy (that poops NONSTOP), bulldog pleco, and so far as I can tell some crypts, anubias, ludwigia, vals, marimo ball, and a few other random plants
picture of my plant wad
I also decided to split my marimo in half, I'm much happier with the size and shape of them now
Sunday: Turns out hatchet fish are jumpers.... and I mean really good jumpers. Sigh. Because I had the heater cord sticking out the side of the tank the lid was on crooked, meaning there was a 1 inch wide and about 3 inch long gap that not one, but both
my hatchets managed to find and escape out of. Although incredibly unfortunate at least this gave me a little insight as to where the 3rd member of their party disappeared to a month ago... uhg guess this just means I have some new fertilizer for my substrate