First Nano: Fluval Spec V (pic heavy!) - The Planted Tank Forum
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-13-2015, 04:26 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower
First Nano: Fluval Spec V (pic heavy!)

So, when I said pic heavy I meant eventually ;D
Anywho, finally got my Fluval after drooling over it for the last 3 months! The plan for now is to create a low tech planted using the stock equipment, that is until I have some more play money to buy a better light

You'll have to excuse my poor phone photography!

First task was painting the back, I used black plasti dip

Next was putting in my eco complete, filling, and transferring my two plants. Broke the stem trying to plant the guy on the right oops I played around with arrangement and put some of my old tank's pebbles in, I think I'll make it more slanted and take out some of the eco complete in the front to make it taller in the back. I was trying to go for a disappears behind the lava rock look with the pebbles Obviously have a lot more work to do lol

Won't be getting fauna for a while, I have yet to buy anything to measure my parameters and want to have my plant life established. So for now the search for the greatest nano fish (and inverts!) continues!

Last edited by Mizliz; 02-13-2015 at 04:43 AM. Reason: picky
Sponsored Links
post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-13-2015, 05:17 AM
Planted Tank Guru
Galaxy rasboras is what you want.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-13-2015, 06:03 AM
Planted Tank Guru
Nice start! That pathway is going to an ongoing effort to keep clear, but it's a fun look. The Hygrophilia (I think that's the one on the right?) will probably recover. Dose some extra potassium if you can; they're mega potassium hogs. (especially if you ever upgrade your lights!)
post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-13-2015, 07:41 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower
Galaxys are pretty neat and very flashy! They were my favorite for a while but I've had so much time to look that I've bounced around to every other fish by now haha

Fortunately its a pretty hearty plant! This isn't the first time I've damaged it. The one in the tank is actually a broken off peice from a larger plant I used to have, I left it in the tank long enough that it started growing ha. I need to go to the store today and look for a new fertilizer, the one I had been using before had iron in it, I'll look for something with potassium thanks kman!
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-15-2015, 07:00 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower
Things have developed fast the last three days! I'll try to go in order,

Friday: I unexpectedly had to transfer my current fish into the new tank after my heater went out. The petstore had, of coarse, already closed and it is way too cold to keep the poor fishes in a non heated tank over night, so there they are.

Saturday: I got my mystery bag of new plants from fellow pt member Spike! So excited for this, and thankful for the kindness of other hobbyists!

I decided to try to bleach dip the plants, which scared the crap out of me, but I've never had algae problems before and didn't want to start now. I did a 1/20 ratio and only held each plant fully submerged for about 10 seconds, probably didn't do much in the long run but hopefully it did something. I rinsed them extensively with luke warm water before placing them in the tank. I added some more potassium and iron to the tank to give them a little boost. All the plants are looking great a day later, hopefully their condition stays the same!

So now in my tank: 2 hatchet fish, one platy (that poops NONSTOP), bulldog pleco, and so far as I can tell some crypts, anubias, ludwigia, vals, marimo ball, and a few other random plants

picture of my plant wad

I also decided to split my marimo in half, I'm much happier with the size and shape of them now

Sunday: Turns out hatchet fish are jumpers.... and I mean really good jumpers. Sigh. Because I had the heater cord sticking out the side of the tank the lid was on crooked, meaning there was a 1 inch wide and about 3 inch long gap that not one, but both my hatchets managed to find and escape out of. Although incredibly unfortunate at least this gave me a little insight as to where the 3rd member of their party disappeared to a month ago... uhg guess this just means I have some new fertilizer for my substrate

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode