55 g. low tech - Page 4 - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #46 of 60 (permalink) Old 03-19-2009, 02:40 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

It's been awhile since I updated this one. A few things have changed, chain sword is gone, the vals got trimmed. The vals new leaves have more spiral to them, most of the original ones weren't doing as good, an starting to fade. Added a Nana petite, an some more moss. I'm going to replace the java fern with the big leaves with something smaller. The dwarf sag is hardly growing as far as I can tell.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #47 of 60 (permalink) Old 03-19-2009, 03:11 AM
I ♥ BBA!

The plants are looking great, brion0. The vals are especially healthy! I love this tank.

Without Algae, death of mankind would be inevitable.
post #48 of 60 (permalink) Old 03-19-2009, 03:43 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I see a fish I know! LOL Your tank is looking great! I know the low tech doesn't give you the instant gratification with lots of fast growth, but I think it is actually more of a chalange. I like the low tech tanks a little better myself. I was going to ask you about a update on this tank. Now I don't have too. LOL Keep up the great work.
post #49 of 60 (permalink) Old 03-19-2009, 05:20 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by sewingalot View Post
The plants are looking great, brion0. The vals are especially healthy! I love this tank.
Thanks sewingalot, the vals look healthy cause I cut any leaves that weren't off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trallen44 View Post
I see a fish I know! LOL Your tank is looking great! I know the low tech doesn't give you the instant gratification with lots of fast growth, but I think it is actually more of a chalange. I like the low tech tanks a little better myself. I was going to ask you about a update on this tank. Now I don't have too. LOL Keep up the great work.
Yes, they seem to be doing great, the females reflection is on the glass by the vals. Low tech is a really nice way to keep a planted tank. When I look at this tank the fish are what I'm watching. Might glance at the plants, looking to see if they have any bad leaves, an note how the algae is doing. But since things change so slow in this tank, its easy to just enjoy watching the fish do there thing. In the 29 things change every day. An I obsess over how to control the plants an algae, some times I have to clear my head an enjoy the fish for a few minutes. 3 of the 4 tanks I have are low tech, the 20L is doing the best out of the 3, no algae to speak of, an healthy plants that grow good, its about 1.75 wpg.
post #50 of 60 (permalink) Old 03-25-2009, 04:55 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by brion0 View Post
Yes, they seem to be doing great, the females reflection is on the glass by the vals. Low tech is a really nice way to keep a planted tank. When I look at this tank the fish are what I'm watching. Might glance at the plants, looking to see if they have any bad leaves, an note how the algae is doing. But since things change so slow in this tank, its easy to just enjoy watching the fish do there thing. In the 29 things change every day. An I obsess over how to control the plants an algae, some times I have to clear my head an enjoy the fish for a few minutes. 3 of the 4 tanks I have are low tech, the 20L is doing the best out of the 3, no algae to speak of, an healthy plants that grow good, its about 1.75 wpg.
I know what you mean about the fish. That is what got me started and then I got into the plants to benifit the fish. I like being able to look over at my 55 and see all the fish swimming in there. It is relaxing.
post #51 of 60 (permalink) Old 04-21-2009, 12:59 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Congrats on the new babies!
post #52 of 60 (permalink) Old 05-30-2009, 03:18 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Why is it that work keeps people from updating their threads? LOL Inquiring minds want to know what is going on with the tanks!
post #53 of 60 (permalink) Old 06-05-2009, 08:01 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

The tank has not been dong to hot. Algae problems not to long after I set it up. Ran the light at a low photo period for months, till the pants started to fade. Now I bumped it up, a will go up more soon. The plants are starting to do much better, an algae is at bay.
Thinking of adding a few more fish. Ill post a pic in a couple weeks. Have been busy working an enjoying the good weather. Summer time so Im more into catching fish, an the fishing is good here in south east Idaho.
post #54 of 60 (permalink) Old 07-06-2009, 12:52 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

This tank still looks bad. Almost all the ferns died. Some of the plants have started to recover. The moss has suffered, think it may have a deficancy maybe posphate. I am at a loss as to what to do. I did add a few fish, I might add a couple more. An also im thinking of more Anubius.
post #55 of 60 (permalink) Old 10-17-2009, 09:55 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Its been a long time since I posted a photo of this tank. It has realy been in bad shape.
I added sunset to it in hopes that it would help on th algae problem. A few weeks ago it was so bad that the plants were getting choked out by it. So I oded it with Excel, waited a week an did it again. The plants are starting to come around, putting on new leaves an such. Killed so much algea that it caused a bit of a bacteria bloom from it decomposing. Its just about cleared up now, been changing 50% of the water every week.

So here it is, not much of a improvement in a year, hoping another year an it will be better.

post #56 of 60 (permalink) Old 10-18-2009, 02:48 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

"So here it is, not much of a improvement in a year, hoping another year an it will be better."

I think it looks GREAT! BTW: I really like the pink color of the Sunset Hygro! It's one of my favorite stem plants...
post #57 of 60 (permalink) Old 10-18-2009, 04:45 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

It looks great, just need some closer pics. That way I can see the fish. LOL
post #58 of 60 (permalink) Old 10-18-2009, 07:21 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by demonbreedr16 View Post
I think it looks GREAT! BTW: I really like the pink color of the Sunset Hygro! It's one of my favorite stem plants...
Thanks demonbreedr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trallen44 View Post
It looks great, just need some closer pics. That way I can see the fish. LOL
Hey Tim, thanks, your fish are dong good. They are busy spawning right now, havent seen them much so I think thats what they are up to.
post #59 of 60 (permalink) Old 10-18-2009, 07:26 PM
Planted Tank Guru

I like the large rock pile on the right, looks good!

"My next hobby is going to be tearing up $100 bills while simultaneously banging my head against a wall and flooding my basement."
"Ask not what the hobby can do for you, but what you can do the the hobby" - ScapeFu
The Jake-arium
Wabi-Kusa Pimp #3
post #60 of 60 (permalink) Old 11-19-2009, 03:46 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Thanks JakeJ. Heres a photo of it.

The tank is finaly doing better. The plants are growing! Thats a big improvement, used to be "I think the plants are diying", lol.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode