55 g. low tech - Page 2 - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 60 (permalink) Old 02-05-2009, 06:26 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Finished the hardscape, heres a pic, the water is cloudy. Thought about taking another pic but the sun is making to much glare. Sorry about the background, Ill change it before this is done.

The new driftwood is a different color, it may darken in time or with a coat of algae.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 60 (permalink) Old 02-05-2009, 07:41 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Looking good! A little different color just makes it more interesting.
post #18 of 60 (permalink) Old 02-07-2009, 06:13 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Have you got your new ballast in yet?
post #19 of 60 (permalink) Old 02-09-2009, 06:53 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trallen44 View Post
Have you got your new ballast in yet?
No, should get here this week, I hope. Ill add some plants in the next day or two. Ordered Jungle Val, Dwarf Sagittaria, an Coffee Anubias.
post #20 of 60 (permalink) Old 02-10-2009, 12:44 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I just now saw the little skull and crossbones. That is pretty cool looking in there. Not too big, to be over powering but it is in there. I like it.
post #21 of 60 (permalink) Old 02-10-2009, 06:07 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trallen44 View Post
I just now saw the little skull and crossbones. That is pretty cool looking in there. Not too big, to be over powering but it is in there. I like it.
Its a hobby, so you have to keep things fun. The skull is fun, treasure island!

I did end up taking things out to get the glue to work well. Stuff was wet, but things set up on the wood in about 30 seconds, rocks in about 15. Added a black background, it sets things off well.

Heres a pic of how it looks, still waiting on the Vals, Dwarf Sagittaria, an couple more anubias. Id like to get some moss for a couple places also.
Right,

Left,

FTS,

Last edited by brion0; 02-10-2009 at 08:09 AM.
post #22 of 60 (permalink) Old 02-10-2009, 10:32 AM
Algae Grower

looks good mate i like the two seperate pieces of wood and the gap between makes the scape look really nice.
post #23 of 60 (permalink) Old 02-11-2009, 12:20 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

It looks great! What kind of moss are you looking for? All I have is Java Moss. But I will send you some if you need it.
post #24 of 60 (permalink) Old 02-11-2009, 04:09 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Thanks BENOLUX.

Trallen44, I talked to a member here in Idaho about some moss, if it dosnt pan out Ill let you know. Called the place I orderd my ballast, they said it was sent on the 2nd, an that it should have been here by now.So its lost in the mail.
post #25 of 60 (permalink) Old 02-11-2009, 04:37 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

THat sucks about the ballast. Hopefully it shows up soon, or they resend it one.
post #26 of 60 (permalink) Old 02-17-2009, 07:34 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

The ballast an ends showed up this weekend. Its a Workhorse 5, it can run 1 or 2 54w HO T5s $24.99. The ends are plain T5 ends $5.00+ shipping $15.00. The light is a LifeGlow 6700k bulb $28.00 from Petsmart.It took about an hour to install into the stock hood on the 55. The hood had an aluminum reflector. Looked at how to wire the ballast on the web, a quick search brought it up, an was very simple.

Im happy with how it turned out, for under $100, I have enough light to grow about any plant I want. If I want more light, another lamp can be added. Though I think 1 lamp will be plenty of light for what im doing. Also like it cause I didnt have to change the stock hood to get another fixture over the tank.

Thought about taking more pics, but it was realy easy. Only had to drill a few holes, every thing went together well.

Here it is completed,

post #27 of 60 (permalink) Old 02-17-2009, 08:14 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Looks good Brion. Glad you finally got it in. Now just need to get pics of it on the tank and working. LOL Welcome back. Hopefully you will get your plants in on Wed.
post #28 of 60 (permalink) Old 02-17-2009, 08:30 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Thanks Trallen, Glad your out of the hospital, hope your felling better. Got a pile of moss over the weekend. My wife already burst my bubble, by telling me UPS pry didnt ship anything monday. So Wed. I guess.
post #29 of 60 (permalink) Old 02-17-2009, 08:39 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by brion0 View Post
Thanks Trallen, Glad your out of the hospital, hope your felling better. Got a pile of moss over the weekend. My wife already burst my bubble, by telling me UPS pry didnt ship anything monday. So Wed. I guess.
Thanks, I am feeling a little bit better, but still laid up for awhile. At least she remembered. I made two slow limping trips to the mailbox today before I remembered there would be no mail today. I am just blaming it on the drugs. LOL
post #30 of 60 (permalink) Old 02-18-2009, 05:00 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Did get plants today. Added Corkscrew Val, Dwarf Sag, Chain Sword, Java Moss, Coffee Leaf Anubias, an Anubias Minima. Heres how it looks. Hope you like it. Judging by the pic Id say the new light makes it briter than before.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode