Planted Member

7.5 gallon Okefenokee Sunfish tank

This is NOT a biotope.
Deep Blue rimless tank
3x Okefenokee Sunfish
ST international aquasoil
Koke
eheim 2211
It's been set up for a few months still battling algae, but it looks like I'm making headway.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	7gallon plant list.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	125.5 KB
ID:	421410  

Name:	IMG_8027.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	95.2 KB
ID:	421418  

Name:	IMG_8036.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	137.7 KB
ID:	421426  

Name:	1162015.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	136.7 KB
ID:	421434  

Name:	01232015.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	145.2 KB
ID:	421442  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-28-2015, 12:52 AM
Algae Grower

Looks good! I love those fish, would really love to own some someday.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-28-2015, 04:19 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Tank looks good, any pics of the Okees?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Eheim Pimp #540 Finnex Member #11 ADA Gentleman #6 60F Club 12G Club 60P Club BeastMaster Project Tanks

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-28-2015, 05:14 AM
Algae Grower

Looks amazing!
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-30-2015, 12:17 AM
Algae Grower

Nice looking tank. Definitely a species of fish I'd like to try someday.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-30-2015, 12:27 AM
Algae Grower

First time hearing about this species in an aquarium. The tank itself looks awesome! I'm interested in seeing where this goes, good choices on plants for the tank that give some good depth and the hill with rock is a very nice touch.

Planted 40B - 2 Angels, 3 Swordtails, 5 Julii Cories, 10 Harlequin Rasboras, 3 Otos, 1 Clown Pleco, and some Ghost Shrimp.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-02-2015, 05:20 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Just a quick update. The pygmy sunfish are little more difficult than anticipated. The male chased the females literally out of the tank after they spawned, then ate all the fry. *sigh*
I also had a bad slime outbreak as I was figuring out my dosing, causing major plant death. It's rebounding quickly, especially now that i aerate it at night with a cheap ceramic diffuser.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	02282015.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	151.0 KB
ID:	439161  

post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-02-2015, 08:45 AM
Planted Tank Guru

I put a pair of them in my 10g tank and have three juvies left after they had babies.
I've since put the female in another 10g tank. They are listed as "experienced keepers" where it says experience level required on one site(Sach's) that I get them from.
So now I have that one female in one of my two 10g tanks and one adult male and two female and one male juvie in the other 10g tank. Plan on moving the male juvie to the tank/w the adult female soon.
Beautiful scape, love the slope. I would think about getting a second tank for one of them. a 20L tank can support a couple or even a few but the smaller tanks put them
too close to each other IMO. The 10g do fine/w one but I anticipate fighting if/when the juvie male gets much bigger. The adult chases him now but not too much and it's usually a short chase and not continous.

The shortest distance between any two points is a straight line...in the opposite direction...
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-02-2015, 03:26 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Beautiful fish and tank. Do they only eat live foods? Or will they eat frozen at all? I would love to try them one day, but the live food issue keeps coming up in my research. Thanks.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-02-2015, 04:54 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond S. View Post
I put a pair of them in my 10g tank and have three juvies left after they had babies.
I've since put the female in another 10g tank. They are listed as "experienced keepers" where it says experience level required on one site(Sach's) that I get them from.
So now I have that one female in one of my two 10g tanks and one adult male and two female and one male juvie in the other 10g tank. Plan on moving the male juvie to the tank/w the adult female soon.
Beautiful scape, love the slope. I would think about getting a second tank for one of them. a 20L tank can support a couple or even a few but the smaller tanks put them
too close to each other IMO. The 10g do fine/w one but I anticipate fighting if/when the juvie male gets much bigger. The adult chases him now but not too much and it's usually a short chase and not continous.
At this point, I've lost 2 out of my 3 females to the male. So all I have left is a couple. The tank is much denser then it appears and I have been completely unable to get them out. I really want to breed them. My girlfriend is from the south, and having a southern native fish she can relate to, makes my slightly out of control hobby, easier for her to live with. So if you any more advice I'd gladly take it.
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-02-2015, 05:09 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotCousteau View Post
Beautiful fish and tank. Do they only eat live foods? Or will they eat frozen at all? I would love to try them one day, but the live food issue keeps coming up in my research. Thanks.
I feed all my fish live foods, specifically daphnia. Which in the long run has turned out to a lot cheaper than buying food.
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-02-2015, 05:52 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Only thing I didn't include already is that I've read that they like a densely planted tank.
I don't cause I can't see them. End of that story. But I've tried to get a colony of scuds growing in each tank now and they just ate all of them. Both tanks have Daphnia that they eat. But it's a little thin in the tank/w four of them. A dense corner of plants might cure that. Looking for that "right" piece of tree limb which is the correct shape and use it for a wall in a corner to put a handful of Floating Hortworth in. Should give the Daphnia AND the scuds a safe spot.

The shortest distance between any two points is a straight line...in the opposite direction...
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-30-2015, 04:13 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Just another update.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	03292015pt.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	130.8 KB
ID:	453441  

post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-02-2015, 06:02 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Updating....
I broke this guy down in April, and gave it to a friend. This is the last photo of it.
Mid-August, I took advantage of a very good deal to get another 7.5. This time a Mr. Aqua, low iron tank. I'm not sure is I should start a new thread or not. But this is where I am headed for my new 7.5.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	april2015.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	161.5 KB
ID:	524466  

Name:	sept2015.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	123.3 KB
ID:	524474  

post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-02-2015, 08:10 AM
Planted Tank Guru

I got one of the local versions of this fish to eat frozen blood worms.
But the Oky one's would only pick at it slightly, not really eating it.
The Banded Pigmy sunfish is the local version.
I'd just do a trio of Chile Rasboas in a 7.5g tank/w any elaborate "scape" in it.
Or Ember Tetra's or other micro fish.
I'd prefer to have a larger tank like a 10g at least for even one Elassoma.
They eat snails/scuds well and if you tried you could design an environment that
could support those as well as the fish. In that process now. But the pond snails are prolific enough that if you add an adult or two now and then the fish can live off of just those(their babies).
But when I put even two females together one of them will go without near as much food due to harassment from the larger one.
It's really a fish that you need to be "into" to want to arrange an environment suited for it. I'm playing/w the idea of getting one of those long Betta tanks/w the dividers and
only use one divider in the middle to separate a pair except for breeding time.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode