"Tranquility" - Mark's 90 Corner Bow Front (2012 Changes Coming!) - Page 3 - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 319 (permalink) Old 01-14-2009, 03:54 AM
I ♥ BBA!

To add to the list of options:

Check out Chuck's Aquarium page on painted backgrounds.
http://www.csd.net/~cgadd/aqua/46g_construct.htm

Oh, and get a hold of Sunstar he is using paint and some type of cement. Perhaps he could give you some ideas as well.
http://www.aquaticplantcentral.com/f...ta-tank-3.html

Without Algae, death of mankind would be inevitable.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 319 (permalink) Old 01-14-2009, 11:29 AM
Planted Tank Guru

try putting plant ties on the erios roots, itll weight them down so that they dont float up if the substrate is disturbed. youll need to put one on only a quarter or less of the roots, otherwise the root mass is too thick and the erio will just slip out.
post #33 of 319 (permalink) Old 01-24-2009, 04:33 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

I actually really like the color of the background. IMO, with the color of the lighting and the substrate and the inhabitant in the tank and don't forget the tank being a bowfront, I just think the background color works. Very refreshing and yet very natural.

if this was my tank and the equipments in the tank is not bothering me on the "hourly" basis. I'll just take them out for that special "photo-shoot" day.

I really like this tank, and thank you for sharing.

Treasure your ears and they'll serve you well...
my 55 gallon discus tankhttp://www.plantedtank.net/forums/ta...e-journal.html
my new 20H gallonhttp://www.plantedtank.net/forums/ta...nted-tank.html
post #34 of 319 (permalink) Old 01-24-2009, 04:57 AM Thread Starter
Always a Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by soundtweakers View Post
I actually really like the color of the background. IMO, with the color of the lighting and the substrate and the inhabitant in the tank and don't forget the tank being a bowfront, I just think the background color works. Very refreshing and yet very natural.

if this was my tank and the equipments in the tank is not bothering me on the "hourly" basis. I'll just take them out for that special "photo-shoot" day.

I really like this tank, and thank you for sharing.
Thanks for the encouraging words! I do like the background color, and I hope when I get some extra money I am going to try to spray some equipment and coat it with epoxy to seal it and see what it looks like. I just don't like seeing the equipment in the back because it takes away so much of the natural feel of the tank. Hope one day to change that.

Working on a better water change set-up right now and will post some pics when I get it done. Should save me some time in doing my weekly water changes.

Current Tank Journals: 125 Dream~~~~
Retired Tank Journals: Tranquility ~~~~ Les Collines Rouges ~~~~ Restful Hideaway Riparium~~~~Gone Live-55Gal
post #35 of 319 (permalink) Old 01-24-2009, 05:09 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

BTW, did you wrote in one of my thread that you always wanted discus?

if yes, you should search aquabid for a seller "LarryP", he's based in Columbus, OH and they allow local pick ups. I've been eyeing their quality discus for a long long time and he's got some awesome strains and even awesome prices. It cost too much for me on shipping so I never purchased from them but if I live in OH, I'd most definitely pay them a visit. Sadly there are close to none discus breeders in NYC.

Treasure your ears and they'll serve you well...
my 55 gallon discus tankhttp://www.plantedtank.net/forums/ta...e-journal.html
my new 20H gallonhttp://www.plantedtank.net/forums/ta...nted-tank.html
post #36 of 319 (permalink) Old 01-24-2009, 05:23 AM
I ♥ BBA!

Yeah! I have been waiting for updated pictures!!!!!

post #37 of 319 (permalink) Old 01-24-2009, 05:27 AM Thread Starter
Always a Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by soundtweakers View Post
BTW, did you wrote in one of my thread that you always wanted discus?

if yes, you should search aquabid for a seller "LarryP", he's based in Columbus, OH and they allow local pick ups. I've been eyeing their quality discus for a long long time and he's got some awesome strains and even awesome prices. It cost too much for me on shipping so I never purchased from them but if I live in OH, I'd most definitely pay them a visit. Sadly there are close to none discus breeders in NYC.
I will have to check that out! Thanks for the tip.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sewingalot View Post
Yeah! I have been waiting for updated pictures!!!!!
I have been so busy the last 2 weeks with work and my daughters basketball games, that I haven't had really much time to enjoy the tank let alone take some pics but I will get you some this weekend.

Retired Tank Journals: Tranquility ~~~~ Les Collines Rouges ~~~~ Restful Hideaway Riparium~~~~Gone Live-55Gal
post #38 of 319 (permalink) Old 01-24-2009, 05:42 AM
I ♥ BBA!

How's she doing in her games? I used to love going to watch my older brother play. I'll be looking forward to those pics!

post #39 of 319 (permalink) Old 01-28-2009, 04:01 AM Thread Starter
Always a Newbie

Well I finally was able to snap a shot of the tank. The main front lights are off so that is why it is darker.

The sun going down..

post #40 of 319 (permalink) Old 01-28-2009, 04:21 AM
I ♥ BBA!

Your fish are beautiful. I am totally digging that wall! What is the reddish stem in the far back? It is very nice. The plants are doing a lot to help take the eye away from the filter pipes.

post #41 of 319 (permalink) Old 01-28-2009, 04:29 AM Thread Starter
Always a Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sewingalot View Post
Your fish are beautiful. I am totally digging that wall! What is the reddish stem in the far back? It is very nice. The plants are doing a lot to help take the eye away from the filter pipes.
The plants are coming along. This tank is much different then my 55 gal because of the depth. I purchased a 30" coralife CF fixture on e-bay that I hope will give me some more light intensity. The filter equipment is my main eye sore in this tank and was something I didn't think about when I chose the color for the back, but I will have to live with it for the time.

The red plant in the back is Hemigraphis traian (I think is called something different now)link, http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/my...is_traian.html

Thx for the kind words!

post #42 of 319 (permalink) Old 01-28-2009, 09:12 AM

Nice tank and setup. I like the way you arranged your plants, contrasting heights, created alot of depth.
To hide the pipes behind, you could tie moss to various stick(DW leftovers) and mess. Let them grow a little then tie or hang them on the pipes.
it could be something like what you did with the DW in the middle, but instead of on the substrate, you could hang them on the pipes. Diferent moss arrange together will create an interesting effect also.
Enjoy your arts.
post #43 of 319 (permalink) Old 01-28-2009, 05:42 PM
Planted Member

Send a message via Skype™ to twychopen
Another less practical but yet still easy way to hid the filter pipes is to make a cubed box without 3 sides to put all the pipes in. Kinda like an overflow box. There is black pvc sheets that you could get. Just drill some large holes inside and then stick it to the back with suction cups. It would fit right into the back where the 2 pieces come together.

You could even paint it the same color as the background (is that the textured stuff from home depot?). You would have to seal it after it dries but its not a big deal. Just my opinion/advice.

do it yourselfer
ADA 75P
Almost complete 3d project:
post #44 of 319 (permalink) Old 01-28-2009, 11:51 PM Thread Starter
Always a Newbie

Thanks for the suggestions on hidding the equipment. I have thought about painting the tubes and then sealing it with a clear epoxy coating and have also thought about gettting glass lily pipes. Still not sure.

I received my light and some plants today so I thought I would share some photos with the lights on full and the new plants.

post #45 of 319 (permalink) Old 01-28-2009, 11:58 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Love the rainbows. Tank looks awesome. I have been looking into getting glass pipes also. Little pricey. Although as more of my plants grow it is getting harder and harder to see them anyways.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode