"Tranquility" - Mark's 90 Corner Bow Front (2012 Changes Coming!) - Page 2 - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 319 (permalink) Old 01-06-2009, 01:56 PM Thread Starter
Always a Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by crudnugget View Post
You could get some Krylon Fusion spraypaint and paint it the same color as the background of your tank. Or try to cover it up with some stem plants. Not a whole lot else you can do...except maybe spending some big $$$ on some glass lily pipes.
I did send an e-mail to Rust-Oleum and asked them if the paint I used was aquarium safe but have not heard a response back yet. If it is, then I am going to paint the pipes the same as the background. I had thought of lilly pipes but again....$$$$$. So we will see.

Current Tank Journals: 125 Dream~~~~
Retired Tank Journals: Tranquility ~~~~ Les Collines Rouges ~~~~ Restful Hideaway Riparium~~~~Gone Live-55Gal
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 319 (permalink) Old 01-07-2009, 12:07 AM
I ♥ BBA!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewalltheway View Post
I hope I can still inspire people with this tank. I have heard it said that it is difficult to scape a corner tank, but I hope to prove that theory wrong
I'm inspired already. After giving such great depth to the 55, this should be a piece of cake for you. By the way, if the paint isn't aquarium safe, what about coating it with epoxy after painting the tubes? I have seen this over on Aquatic Plant Forum.

Without Algae, death of mankind would be inevitable.
post #18 of 319 (permalink) Old 01-07-2009, 12:13 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I'm so happy the rock wall is still getting some action! You have some awesome fish! I'd love to see below in the stand. I loved the crazy maze of plumbing on the right side of the old 55.

29g Journal 10g journal 15g Journal
"Modesty is the only sure bait when fishing for praise."
post #19 of 319 (permalink) Old 01-07-2009, 01:02 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewalltheway View Post
The one thing I hate about this tank is the unsightly view of the equipment. If someone has an idea to how I can better hide that stuff, please let me know. (Drilling the tank at this point is not an option)
I love the scape!I think it could only look better if you paint some of that blue hardware black with a black background. The hardware will just about disappear!

EHEIM Pimp Club Member #250 2217,2026,2236
post #20 of 319 (permalink) Old 01-07-2009, 01:41 AM Thread Starter
Always a Newbie

Here is a couple pics underneath..

And some shots of the tank tonight. I finally got my erios planted.

Retired Tank Journals: Tranquility ~~~~ Les Collines Rouges ~~~~ Restful Hideaway Riparium~~~~Gone Live-55Gal
post #21 of 319 (permalink) Old 01-07-2009, 01:47 AM Thread Starter
Always a Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sewingalot View Post
I'm inspired already. After giving such great depth to the 55, this should be a piece of cake for you. By the way, if the paint isn't aquarium safe, what about coating it with epoxy after painting the tubes? I have seen this over on Aquatic Plant Forum.
Is epoxy aquarium safe because if it is, then that would be a great idea. I did find out today that the Stone Creations paint I used is not aquarium safe. I did find that out tonight when I had a test piece I had done and when it got water on it it started coming off.

post #22 of 319 (permalink) Old 01-07-2009, 01:50 AM Thread Starter
Always a Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mott View Post
I love the scape!I think it could only look better if you paint some of that blue hardware black with a black background. The hardware will just about disappear!
I debated on painting it black or do this textured paint and I chose the wrong one. My 55 was black and I wanted to try something different. I will have to live with this for a while because I am not going to tear it down anytime soon. Live and learn!

post #23 of 319 (permalink) Old 01-07-2009, 03:06 AM
Planted Member

Send a message via Skype™ to fish-aholic
What regulator is that?

Ehfipimp #277
post #24 of 319 (permalink) Old 01-07-2009, 03:22 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

So the five timers....
Light fixture 1
Light fixture 2
Solenoid
air stone?

thats all my guesses and I'm one short!

Looks like you still have plenty of room down there! That is a big tank!

29g Journal 10g journal 15g Journal
"Modesty is the only sure bait when fishing for praise."
post #25 of 319 (permalink) Old 01-07-2009, 03:38 AM
Algae Grower

It's certainly inspirational, the design is brilliant. I remember having seen your 55gal a few months back when I signed up, it was one of my favorites. This is looking similarly exceptional, keep the pictures coming as you continue to update.

I'm really digging those rainbows, I'm sorry about the one you lost. I'll bet it's nice have a tank that can support clown loaches of a respectable size .
post #26 of 319 (permalink) Old 01-07-2009, 03:39 AM Thread Starter
Always a Newbie

2 Timers on the bottom right, 1 for Coralife light fixture and the other for CO2 solenoid
2 timers on top right, 1 for 36" light fixture and the other for 24" light fixture.
Timer on the left for night lighting

I have the 24" light fixture (2-15watt flouresent bulbs) come on in the morning at 11am. The 36" light fixture (1-30watt flouresent bulb) comes on at 11:30am and the coralife (4x65watt, compact flouresent bulbs) comes on at 12:00pm. This simulates the morning sunrise a little better then all 320watts of light coming on all at once. I also have the CO2 turning on at 11am. I then reverse the lights going off with the coralife going off at 9pm then the 36" at 9:15 then the 24" off at 9:30 with the moonlights coming on at 9:30pm.

post #27 of 319 (permalink) Old 01-07-2009, 03:43 AM Thread Starter
Always a Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hungry Wendigo View Post
It's certainly inspirational, the design is brilliant. I remember having seen your 55gal a few months back when I signed up, it was one of my favorites. This is looking similarly exceptional, keep the pictures coming as you continue to update.

I'm really digging those rainbows, I'm sorry about the one you lost. I'll bet it's nice have a tank that can support clown loaches of a respectable size .
Thanks for the encouraging words. I do love this tank and the clown loaches are some of my oldest fish I have. I have been so taken back at how large the rainbows have gotten. They are so fun to sit and watch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fish-aholic View Post
What regulator is that?
It is the Milw. regulator like fastfreddie got for Christmas.

post #28 of 319 (permalink) Old 01-13-2009, 06:07 AM
Planted Member

Send a message via Skype™ to twychopen
The epoxy is aquarium safe. I make 3d backgrounds for my cichlid tanks and if I paint the cement, I cover it with epoxy. Many "professional" backgrounds are done this way as well. You just have to make sure that all the paint is covered completely. You probably will want to try to find an example of an exact one. Google 3d aquarium backgrounds or something similar. Some guys use it over the cement. You should see the brand.
post #29 of 319 (permalink) Old 01-13-2009, 03:26 PM Thread Starter
Always a Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by twychopen View Post
The epoxy is aquarium safe. I make 3d backgrounds for my cichlid tanks and if I paint the cement, I cover it with epoxy. Many "professional" backgrounds are done this way as well. You just have to make sure that all the paint is covered completely. You probably will want to try to find an example of an exact one. Google 3d aquarium backgrounds or something similar. Some guys use it over the cement. You should see the brand.
I was able to find a site - http://www.sscoatings.net/poolcoat-info.htm - that has a clear epoxy that is used for pools and aquariums. A bit pricey though, but maybe in time I can get some. If someone finds something easier or cheaper, let me know.

Update on the tank....Things are going well except for my erios. My loaches keep uprooting them and I find them floating at the top. Not sure if they are going to work in this tank but time will tell. I am thinking of selling my erios and going with some UG in the front if I can find some but the loaches may do the same with UG as they are doing with the erios so not sure what I am going to do.

post #30 of 319 (permalink) Old 01-13-2009, 03:55 PM
Planted Member

Send a message via Skype™ to twychopen
Here is a place that show another epoxy and an explanation.
http://aquarium.mriweb.nl/en/epoxy.php

here is the actual project:
http://aquarium.mriweb.nl/en/index.php

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode