Goldfish Planted Tank - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-04-2009, 02:04 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Goldfish Planted Tank

Hi there,

Im still a novice at this planted tanks, as I have goldfish's. They are testing to be quite problematic. I've had the goldfish for the last 2 years now but noo, the lionhead's wen still doesn't want to grow!

Started getting into planting live plants about half year ago. Have had many goes with trying to put up a decent scape but non so far. This is as far as i got.

My oranda has been chewing on many different plants and had to discard, and replant and rescape. They even had a go at my java ferns although they got sick of it after a few days. But a few leaves had been eaten haha.. oh well it was still fun to watch them eat it.

Tank at the moment is about 15-20gal on a 2.5wpg lighting. Its has two filtering as the goldfishes are such messy eaters. An Eheim pro 2 and a UVC clarifier.

My clean up crew is me on the glass to keep it nice'n clean and 4 adult ramshorns and 1 MTS (which after 6months has not multiplied at all) to keep the plants/stones clear of algae.

There is a black pot in the tank that holds the baby javas that keep detaching and floating around. A few of them are becoming a decent size now, guess i could attach it to something. All the plants seem to be growing fast. I've only been adding flourish excel and iron plant gro.

If you have any suggestions please let me know
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-04-2009, 08:54 PM
I ♥ BBA!

Love the goldfish! My favorite fish, although I no longer keep. I like the layout of the tank. Have you tried hornwort at all? My goldfish didn't like it and I used a small weight to keep it on the ground.

Without Algae, death of mankind would be inevitable.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-04-2009, 10:01 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks, I dont think i have tried hornworts, wonder where i can purchase them in new zealand.
I've only tried the Cabomba and they frenzied it like animals.

Interesting I always thought they looked similar and thought it was the same. :0

Thanks for the tip. I'll go round and see if i can find it.
post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-04-2009, 10:09 PM
I ♥ BBA!

Hornwort doesn't actually root, so when you weigh it down, the part weighted will loose its leaves, so make sure you don't cover too much. Or you can leave it free floating. I never had problems with my goldies and hornwort. Here's you a link on the plant: http://www.plantgeek.net/plantguide_...rt&type=Search

Without Algae, death of mankind would be inevitable.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-04-2009, 10:27 PM
Algae Grower

Its looking nice. For the plants, you could try Java Moss. I'm not sure of the others but other people stated you should look for thicker plants.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-05-2009, 12:46 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks, once i find it, it'll be my next plant to try out.

I've try'd the java moss a while ago, but when I got it, i didn't have anything to attach it to that time. It got too messy in the end so I ended up discarding it.

Yeah I've read about thick leaf plants. That's what i've been getting onto aswell.
The recent purchase were the dark red plants in my tank. (not sure what the name of the plant was) But it was stiff and solid and stopped the goldfish from plummeting on top of it.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-05-2009, 02:42 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

You've got purdy fish!

Make sure you keep everyone well fed! Giggle. My friend had a planted goldfish tank and it worked great until she went away for the weekend, thinking they'd be fine. Fish were fine, they'd eaten all the plants down to the gravel.

Even if you attach the java moss I be they'll tear it up. I used to feed my goldfish all sorts of veggies...yum yum.

How about some Anubias?
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-05-2009, 03:26 AM
Algae Grower

Anubias could work. They might try to eat it at first though.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-05-2009, 03:27 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-05-2009, 03:33 AM
Algae Grower

Lol. That's because of their appetite.
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-05-2009, 03:50 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-05-2009, 03:53 AM
Algae Grower

Another lol!
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-05-2009, 04:22 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I thought about getting anubias at the LPS, but since i had a small tank would the large leaves start making the tank look small? Although i already have that large plant on the corner that is startin to look out of proportion to the other ;p

I updated the stone formations as they looked abit small in the photo. I lifted the large stone as its quite deep down in the pebbles. Lifted it a little over the trimmed micro swords. and added a few more stones with more white stuff to direct the eye more to the plants. Hopefully it didnt make it worse :s
Attached Images

post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-05-2009, 09:07 AM
Algae Grower

You can start with a small anubias since they grow very slowly underwater. Also, the new layout looks better.

Tags
goldfish, oranda

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode