The life cycles of an Erio 'mini' - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-03-2009, 06:39 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

The life cycles of an Erio 'mini'

I was moving all my Erio 'minis' around today, and thought you might like to see some pics of all the different stages of the life cycle of these interesting plants.

Here we have the basic Erio, with a single crown, and no flowering yet:

Here are two plants that are splitting, meaning they have grown multiple crowns. The plant on the left actually has a single flower stalk, as the new crowns are growing from the side of an Erio that had started to flower and was cut in half:

Here is one that is well into it's flower cycle, but still has both flower stalks and leaves. Oddly, this plant seems to be splitting another crown on the left side also:

Here is an Erio that is finishing it's life cycle. All the leaves have rotted away and the flower stalks are starting to break down as well. Only now has it finally started growing a daughter plant from the base:

As a contrast, this is an Erio 'Thailand' that is starting to split:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-03-2009, 04:02 PM
Wannabe Guru

Wow what beautiful plant. Great thread too!
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-03-2009, 06:33 PM
Planted Tank Guru

How big do these erio Mini's get? Been looking for some but they don't seem to appear very often.

Craig

Rebooting...

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdwill View Post
"C'mon, they're just plants, man, no big deal -- try some"
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-03-2009, 06:43 PM
Planted Member

Send a message via Skype™ to fish-aholic
Great documentation of a beautiful plant!

Ehfipimp #277
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-03-2009, 09:53 PM
Algae Grower

How long is the life cycle of one of those? Once it is complete, do you have to get rid of the plant? I'm guessing that you propogate them by separating the daughter plants and replanting those? Interesting thread about a plant I know little about. Thanks!
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-04-2009, 01:51 AM
Planted Member

Heh, I had two of these and ended up throwing them away towards the end of their cycle b/c I thought they were dying on me. I was confused b/c they grew so well, and then lost all their leaves, but I don't believe they were far along enough for a daughter plant to form.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-04-2009, 01:58 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Schellinck View Post
Heh, I had two of these and ended up throwing them away towards the end of their cycle b/c I thought they were dying on me. I was confused b/c they grew so well, and then lost all their leaves, but I don't believe they were far along enough for a daughter plant to form.
Wish some of these would make it to the mid west.

Rebooting...

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdwill View Post
"C'mon, they're just plants, man, no big deal -- try some"
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-04-2009, 03:36 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Thanks for the comments, guys!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craigthor View Post
How big do these erio Mini's get? Been looking for some but they don't seem to appear very often.
Craig
They can get to around 3 inches across, though they often start splitting at around 1-1 1/2 inches.
I would have a couple for sale, but I killed about half my stock recently, allowing them to get smothered in UG until they melted
If you haven't found any in a couple months, send me a pm and I'll see if I can help you out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crudnugget View Post
How long is the life cycle of one of those? Once it is complete, do you have to get rid of the plant? I'm guessing that you propogate them by separating the daughter plants and replanting those? Interesting thread about a plant I know little about. Thanks!
I haven't kept track of it, but I'll take a guess and say the life cycle is about 8 months. Any time a new crown is forming it can be separated and replanted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Schellinck View Post
If you want to keep them going, it is best to chop them into pieces within a couple weeks of the first flower stalks. Either that, or you have to wait until they are starting to completely rot and hope for the best.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode