need scape ideas - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-23-2008, 04:12 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

need scape ideas

okay, so my 20 looks messy. I love the hardscape of the wood on the right. The rest of it - meh. I did a bunch of pruning tonight, pulled out some stuff, then added in the sunset hygro and the lace plant in the back left. It still looks messy.

Please ignore the dirty glass and the clado that I'm fighting with (I WILL win, I have before).

Suggestions on how to make the scape better?

Front view

from the side

90G Planted Community, low-light & low-tech
29 Gallon Coldwater, moderately planted
20G planted community tank, high light, CO2
2.5G planted nano
coming soon, 1gallon planted
Yes I suffer from MTS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-23-2008, 08:25 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

bump. Someone? Anyone? Suggestions?

2.5G planted nano
Yes I suffer from MTS
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-23-2008, 08:32 PM
Algae Grower

ur tank made me remember this..
http://www.cau-aqua.net/index.php?op...=1&key=0&hit=1

adding a few rocks around ur DW and some valls for background would be great...
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-23-2008, 09:03 PM
Planted Tank Guru

umm ok.
well whats that forground plant? lileaopsis? chain sword? hairgrass?
whatever it is, id use it as the upper midground, having it go from the back left corner to the driftwood (diagonally) and then in front of the wood to the right side of the tank. behind it to the left of the wood a plant growing a bit taller. maybe an HM bush? for the foreground, id do a really low grower, like HC or glosso, or riccia. and id let the background grow in really really thick.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-23-2008, 09:08 PM
Planted Tank Guru

First of all it looks very good the way it is. I really like the driftwood arrangement. My only suggestion is the tank looks very right-heavy, so take those stem plants in the front right side and move them toward the back left. I think all of your stem plants should be behind the wood. Then, remove the tall grassy plant (some kind of val?) altogether. It looks out of place for some reason. Once you have all stem plants, just keep trimming them real low, so that they get bushier and bushier, and this tank will look awesome!
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-23-2008, 11:00 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

brt_p - I wish my tank looked that good! lol There are some rocks around the base of the driftwood, you just can't see them through all the plants. Silly, I know, but I keep them in there for the shrimp and cories to scavenge over.

marko - the foreground is a mix of crypt parva and hairgrass right now. I planted both, wanting to see which would do better. The plants in the back do grow tall, I'd just cut them back to half height. I like your idea of the diagonal midground, then the foreground. When I first planted this tank, I envisioned a sort of riverbank look, with the wood and some heavy growth on the right in around the wood, then a feature plant just left of center, with lots of open space and a nice carpet coming down from the back left corner and into the front. I can see it in my head, the execution is the problem *sigh*

Church - thanks for the compliment I think you're right, and I need to lose the stems from in front of the driftwood - I think it will go a long way to lightening it up. Funnily, the only reason they're there is because everything grows so fast that I keep having to prune it, and, well, I hate to throw the cuttings out. Maybe I should just toss the cuttings into my planted goldfish tank as floaters. What's not eaten, once I've accumulated enough, I can send to my friend on the Island or trade at the lfs for credit...

I'd really like to get some glosso going, but can't find it in any store between here (Chilliwack) and Vancouver. Maybe I should check out the swap n shop...

2.5G planted nano
Yes I suffer from MTS

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode