The Planted Tank Forum banner

Suga Shack - 55 gallon - Where is my algae hiding? :( (56K)

262K views 3K replies 170 participants last post by  MlDukes 
#1 · (Edited)
Hello everyone! First of all, let me tell you how great it was to find this forum. You each have personally inspired me to try my hand at a planted tank. I know I am making plenty of mistakes, but I am learning a lot from this site.

I used to be all about plastic until I stumbled onto this site.

Then I decided to try Java Moss. However, I didn't know it was all dead until I started looking on this site a few months ago! What's sad is the LFS sold it to me like this. After nearly giving up with embarrassment, I decided to try again.

I am now trying a new method. I started buying still live plants (elsewhere) using Flourite substrate, Excel, DIY Co2 and 130 watts of light. These are my results.

Any suggestions? Thanks for all the inspiration!

See less See more
#2 ·
You are on the right track! You remind me of myself at the beginning of this year starting my 55 gallon. If you read alot of threads on here and ask alot of questions, you will learn alot in a short period of time. the one suggestion I would make is to get some ferts to sart dosing with. Your plants will need the micros & macros or they will soon start to get holes in the leaves and look ratty. Look at the sticky I believe under water parameters about dosing. very helpful!

Nice start! Also, Welcome to PT :)

#4 ·
Thank you for the nice words of encouragement. That explains the hole starting in the tip of one the amazon sword leaves. Thanks for the information on the fertilizers. I need to determine whether or not to use Flourish products or do the dry dosing. I am a little intimidated about overdosing, so I was thinking I should start out with the Flourish line. What do you suggest?

#6 ·
As far as overdosing, if you do the EI (Estimative Index) method of dosing, you will not overdose. If you do a search for "EI" you will get tons of info on it. The basic concept is you dose the ferts listed in the chart per your tank size and every week you do a 50% water change and this will level or start fresh your tank for another week of dosing without the worry of overdosing or doing a bunch of testing. I do this and it works out great!

If you want to save money, go with the dry ferts. The flourish products are good but will burn a hole in your pocket compared to the amount of dry you can get and how far it will go. The only flourish product I am using is Flourish but I only dose 5ml of this 3X a week so it last me awhile. If I can be of any other help, let me know.

#1,658 ·
Dosing

#1, "every week you do a 50% water change and this will level or start fresh your tank for another week of dosing without the worry of overdosing or doing a bunch of testing. I do this and it works out great!

#2 "The only flourish product I am using is Flourish but I only dose 5ml of this 3X a week so it last me awhile. If I can be of any other help, let me know.
#1- Is it really necessary 2 do such large w.c so often? Plan on using the flourish in my tank and was just curious.

#2- Y do u use so much of this? Another person in here only uses 5ml 1x a week with "great results".

Thanks in advance.

#8 · (Edited)
I braved the inital expense and decided to buy nutrients. I tried the EI method the first week. However, after losing two otos to the massive water change, I decided to try the PPS method found on this board. I like this method and so far, the growth is amazing. In fact, my amazon sword sent out a runner and a tiny plant is growing! I am still trying to learn how to take better pictures so please be patient.

The swap and shop is awesome! Daud sent me a bunch of new plants in excellent condition! I couldn't believe the quantity and quality compared to my LFS! What do you all think so far? Thanks for looking!:redface:

#9 · (Edited)
Update on my tank after using fertilizers. I am using the PPS-Pro method. I should have shut the lid...and cleaned the glass. :icon_neut

I have pearling! :)

My cories love to dig up the giant baby tears. I am starting to hate it! :mad: I find pieces of it floating in all my plants. I also am not crazy about the amazon sword, but the ottos love it. Comments/criticism are welcome as always.

#11 ·
Great progress Sara. The tank looks fantastic! The plants look very healthy and the sword looks wonderful. The one suggestion I would make is to try and hide some of your equipment if you can. This allows your eye to focus more on the plants then on the equipment.

Great beginning! :thumbsup:

#12 ·
Thanks for the comments! I looked at the main picture and you are right, the equipment is very distracting. I just received my inline heater in the mail yesterday and I plan to install it this weekend. I just cannot figure out where to install the powerhead since it is hooked up to my co2. We'll see how it goes.

#14 ·
I took dewalltheway's advice and hid some of the equipment. :) I am still having trouble hiding the powerhead, but I am planning on doing a diy inline reactor soon, so I am just going to be patient. I also got in some downoi from the S&S...love this site! I moved the ludwigia repens to my betta's ten gallon and planted a few more stems of ludwigia arcuata. My moss wall is starting to finally grow in after I moved it behind the amazon sword. I am battling green spot algae. I think dosing fertilizers seems to help, since it is not as bad. Anyway, enough talking - the updated pictures (which are still over exposed with the flash off).

My cories keep digging up the downoi along with the marsilea minuta. :mad: Well, at least their having fun.

My amazon babies are growing, I am not sure how or when to remove them.

What do you all think of the changes? :icon_eek:

#17 ·
Thanks a lot for the tips, it really did help moving the equipment. I am actually using your post http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/613994-post112.html as inspiration. :eek5: After seeing how well you did with diy co2, I started to venture into more plants than just my Amazon sword and hornwort.

Wow that is looking really good.. So you are using Flourite and DIY CO2 correct? I can only hope to have a sword that looks that strong WOW..
Thanks solution7. Yes, I am using flourite and DIY Co2. I absolutely love flourite! My sword started out with just 0.72 watts per gallon and regular gravel with no fertilizers. The flourite is what really had the plant taking off, though. The additional lights were a bonus after that, at a little over 2.5 watts per gallon. I also just started dosing ferts using the PPS-Pro Solution, which resulted in the runner.

#18 ·
My last week's fiasco....I decided to restart my yeast concoction and used "quick rise" active yeast, since I was out of the regular kind. Bad idea. My co2 drop checker was yellow, half my fish were at the top and half where on the bottom just hanging out. I put in an airstone, did a 25% water change and after a day, most of the fish were back to normal. One of my male cories didn't make it, though. Now his mate is looking kinda sad. :icon_cry: I am such an idiot. Here is an updated picture. This time, I had the lid up on purpose as I was trying to let in as much air as possible. Still no excuse for the lousy pictures. I will be rearranging the tank tomorrow. I got rid of my foxtail and purchased some sort of rotala this afternoon.

#19 ·
Changes! My amazon sword outgrew the tank....literally. She had seven babies on the runner and the tips of the mother plant were beginning to grow out of the water and were turning crispy in the light. :icon_sad: So I gave it to a fellow hobbyist who has the room for her. :hihi:

So, I trimmed my rotala green sp. and moved some to the right of the tank. I also planted the new rotala round. in the back. I am now in the grow out phase.... What do you think?

Oh, and my husband helped me out and used a tripod to take better pictures. Much better quality, no?

My new downoi has side shoots!

Is this java moss?

Found that rubber band that broke..... I love Marselia minuta! They came with BBA, but the excel is doing a good job of getting rid of it.

new rotala mini in far left, so tiny and so cute! Most is in my ten gallon, but I stuck a few stems in my 55 for accent. Thanks cardinal tetra for the great quality! :wink:

Blyxa is getting more and more side shoots. It is growing like a weed.

#23 ·
2 - 2 Liters. I have been pretty successful with 1 1/2 cup sugar and 1/2 teaspoon in each container. I only change one out every other week. The only algae I have trouble with is GSA, especially after moving the Amazon sword out of the tank. Haven't seen any other kind (so far). And since I am posting, here is a small update.

FTS

My bronze cory recovering after a recent scuffle with a checkered barb.

Anyone know what this red plant is? I like this picture, the reflection is pretty awesome IMHO.

Found the culprit who keeps uprooting the downoi. The albino cory was just swimming up to the downoi he flipped out of the substrate. Anyway, I like how his back is turned and the oto has his belly on the glass. Cute, huh?

#24 ·
For Christmas, my husband gave me a co2 regulator and tank. After nearly a week of fighting with the various parts, I am finally able to fine tune it to either 1 BPS or like 7 BPS, no in between. :mad: It is aqua euro usa brand, and the needle valve is pathetic. But hey, I am able to get it to work on a timer and I do get 1 BPS consistently now. It has been up for two days with no problems. I hope to buy a splitter soon, so maybe I can use that to get 2 BPS?

Other than that, I have been reading more on aquascaping and moved a few plants around to better compliment each other along with a small trim.

I love this red plant, lately identified by a fellow TPT member as narrow leaf rotala macranda. It came to me as a freebie with my first plants almost dead. Just lately started taking off!

Cool thing I noticed recently about my blyxa on the left side. I thought it was going taller than the right, but what is happening is new shoots are growing which is causing the plants to actually lift out of the substrate. Cool thing is just a few longer roots are actually keeping it from floating, kinda like a balloon with a weight on it. :icon_lol: Here's a closeup:

And since he was being a ham, here's a picture of George for you all!:hihi:

#25 ·
I have babies!

:bounce: Yeah! I have babies! I was looking at the remnants of my GSA and wondering if it would ever go away and noticed I had fry. Oh happy day. I not only saw platty and guppy fry in various stages, but this little guy looks less than a day old! Oh Blyxa, "how do I love thee.....let me count the ways. . . "

My really gravid female has lost her belly since last night, so I am assuming their hers! This little guy was loving the camera and came out to investigate. I think I see a future model, he's working the camera, no?

#27 ·
Phoenix, I am glad you think so. My husband just rolled his eyes at me when I decided to name my fry Waldo. He said I am too interested in this fry business and went back to watching football! As if this isn't more important. By the way, I love your avatar. I just surfed your art, you are wicked talented!

#30 ·
Wow, this tank is looking sweet and that fry is definitely workin' it! Good luck with the regulator. Are you diffusing with that powerhead? I got a reg for Christmas too and I'm probably driving people crazy with questions. I can't wait to get stocked up like you!

What is your favorite plant so far? I'm guessing the blyxa judging from your Shakespeare quote.... or was that quote from Waldo to the blyxa? lol

#31 ·
Thanks Fastfreddie! The regulator was a PITA in the beginning, and I almost gave up trying to use it before it finally was adjusted to 1BPS. I have noticied a lot of growth and the GSA is going away in just a few short days of the addition! Hey, if you ask the questions, I can learn to, so BUG away. :) You'll love the new regulator, congrats as well.

Yes, I am diffusing with the powerhead. I put a skewer stick in the tubing, drilled a hole in a piece of undergravel filter tubing I bought and cut down to three inches (and glue gunned around the intake). Oh and I stuffed half a sponge for an aquaclear in the bottom of the tubing. The bubbles are very fine and pearling has increased by more than double. An added bonus is the cories and danios like playing in the extra current. Although it is kind of ugly. :icon_redf (By the way, the quote was from Elizabeth Barrett Browning, I used to read poetry for hours when I was younger- my mom's a librarian- lol!)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.