Suga Shack - 55 gallon - Where is my algae hiding? :( (56K) - Page 3 - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 2954 (permalink) Old 01-08-2009, 03:44 AM Thread Starter
I ♥ BBA!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastfreddie View Post
Wow, this tank is looking sweet and that fry is definitely workin' it! Good luck with the regulator. Are you diffusing with that powerhead? I got a reg for Christmas too and I'm probably driving people crazy with questions. I can't wait to get stocked up like you!

What is your favorite plant so far? I'm guessing the blyxa judging from your Shakespeare quote.... or was that quote from Waldo to the blyxa? lol
Thanks Fastfreddie! The regulator was a PITA in the beginning, and I almost gave up trying to use it before it finally was adjusted to 1BPS. I have noticied a lot of growth and the GSA is going away in just a few short days of the addition! Hey, if you ask the questions, I can learn to, so BUG away. You'll love the new regulator, congrats as well.

Yes, I am diffusing with the powerhead. I put a skewer stick in the tubing, drilled a hole in a piece of undergravel filter tubing I bought and cut down to three inches (and glue gunned around the intake). Oh and I stuffed half a sponge for an aquaclear in the bottom of the tubing. The bubbles are very fine and pearling has increased by more than double. An added bonus is the cories and danios like playing in the extra current. Although it is kind of ugly. (By the way, the quote was from Elizabeth Barrett Browning, I used to read poetry for hours when I was younger- my mom's a librarian- lol!)

Without Algae, death of mankind would be inevitable.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 2954 (permalink) Old 01-08-2009, 03:58 AM Thread Starter
I ♥ BBA!

Oh yeah, I didn't answer your question about my favorite plant. It's downoi. Although it was hard to plant, the leaves are very fragile. The plant takes off once established, IME. Blyxa is my second favorite. But it is sensitive to changes.

post #33 of 2954 (permalink) Old 01-08-2009, 07:51 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by sewingalot View Post
(By the way, the quote was from Elizabeth Barrett Browning, I used to read poetry for hours when I was younger- my mom's a librarian- lol!)
Haha. My Mom was a college literature teacher. I should have known better!

29g Journal 10g journal 15g Journal
"Modesty is the only sure bait when fishing for praise."
post #34 of 2954 (permalink) Old 01-09-2009, 04:09 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I cant beleive this is my first time seeing your journal, I usually click every 55gal post I see. The progression is nice. You can really see the difference from no ferts to ferts to pressurized CO2. Platy babies, I remember when I used to get excited to see them, Now not a day goes by that I dont see a new one. The downoi looks great, I cant grow for at all, and it too is one of favorite plants. Cant wait to see what you do next.

Thanks,
Rekles75

55 GAL #1---55 GAL #2 ---10 GAL---4 GAL Finnex---ALL SCAPES HAVE BEEN RETIRED.
post #35 of 2954 (permalink) Old 01-10-2009, 05:12 AM Thread Starter
I ♥ BBA!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rekles75 View Post
I cant beleive this is my first time seeing your journal, I usually click every 55gal post I see. The progression is nice. You can really see the difference from no ferts to ferts to pressurized CO2. Platy babies, I remember when I used to get excited to see them, Now not a day goes by that I dont see a new one. The downoi looks great, I cant grow for at all, and it too is one of favorite plants. Cant wait to see what you do next.
With all those platies you don't see like hundreds of babies daily? They must be hiding in that massive amount of moss you have in your tank. The downoi has really been a challenge for me especially with platties. If they get hungry enough, they will go after the downoi. Maybe that was part of your struggle. Thanks for the complements! I really think ferts was the key, though. I couldn't have been this successful without them. I am looking forward to trying to find a place for the new plants I got from you. I am trying to decide how to scape with so much moss.

post #36 of 2954 (permalink) Old 01-10-2009, 07:40 AM
Wannabe Guru

Send a message via AIM to monkeyruler90
wow great progression. i love the tank!!

and yeah my vals do that too. when they get runners they push themselves out of the substrate. kind of like a "look at me, im the tallest and with the most" kinda thing
darn these show off plants

--Oscar.
Fluval pimp #4 aka PIMP master!
I SAID ITS GREAT
TO BE

A FLORIDA GATOR!!

40 gallon LED fixture
post #37 of 2954 (permalink) Old 01-10-2009, 07:44 AM Thread Starter
I ♥ BBA!

Glad to see I'm not the only one up at almost four in the morning. I am glad you said your vals are doing the same. I was worried I was doing something wrong. I am hesitant to move out some of the blyxa, but I am running out of room. I don't know what grows faster for me the blyxa or GSA. Its a close race!

post #38 of 2954 (permalink) Old 01-11-2009, 08:39 AM
Algae Grower

Smile

Wow, you came a long way from the plastic plants. You tank looks great...must be tough managing a big planted tank... I am still having problem with my ten gallons. Its good to see how something can improve over time with planted tanks, hopefully I can be one of them!
post #39 of 2954 (permalink) Old 01-12-2009, 03:06 AM Thread Starter
I ♥ BBA!

Tony, you can most definitely can improve over time with planted tanks. I still struggle with GSA everyday. However, I look for the small improvements and am happy overall. What kind of problems are you having? Be sure to ask for lots of help, that's what I do. Welcome to TPT!

post #40 of 2954 (permalink) Old 01-17-2009, 09:44 PM
CKJ
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Love your tank!!!! I just read all of it! Not easy with a 7 year old boy driving ya nuts!

No more plastic plants for me either!!

Take care!

Cindy
post #41 of 2954 (permalink) Old 01-18-2009, 04:08 AM Thread Starter
I ♥ BBA!

Lol! Moms are today's super heroes! I couldn't do it with children. I am not talented enough. Thanks for the encouraging words! Sara

post #42 of 2954 (permalink) Old 01-18-2009, 04:56 PM
Wannabe Guru

Send a message via AIM to monkeyruler90
wow id be awesome if you got rid of some of the blyxa and let all the downoi grow in. that'd look amazing. can you imagine a whole field of downoi?

--Oscar.
Fluval pimp #4 aka PIMP master!
I SAID ITS GREAT
TO BE

A FLORIDA GATOR!!

40 gallon LED fixture
post #43 of 2954 (permalink) Old 01-24-2009, 02:49 AM Thread Starter
I ♥ BBA!

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyruler90 View Post
wow id be awesome if you got rid of some of the blyxa and let all the downoi grow in. that'd look amazing. can you imagine a whole field of downoi?
Totally. That is my goal, actually. The blyxa is going mad, I am being overrun by it, lol! If only my other plants (like the downoi) would grow so quickly.

post #44 of 2954 (permalink) Old 01-24-2009, 03:16 AM Thread Starter
I ♥ BBA!

So I don't ever think I am going to get good pictures with this cheapo $99 digital camera. Especially after I dropped it on the floor last week and the battery cover doesn't close. Well, something to save up for now. This waiting until plants grow out to start scaping is getting irritating. I cut back and it still grows in crazy. I hope to get rid of some blyxa soon, since it is doing so well. Maybe that will help with the scaping, no?

Here is my pretty male danio.

post #45 of 2954 (permalink) Old 01-24-2009, 04:33 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

holy cow!! now that's some bunches of blyxa!!

Treasure your ears and they'll serve you well...
my 55 gallon discus tankhttp://www.plantedtank.net/forums/ta...e-journal.html
my new 20H gallonhttp://www.plantedtank.net/forums/ta...nted-tank.html

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode