Suga Shack - 55 gallon - Where is my algae hiding? :( (56K) - Page 2 - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 2954 (permalink) Old 12-07-2008, 04:55 AM
Algae Grower

Send a message via AIM to solution7 Send a message via MSN to solution7 Send a message via Yahoo to solution7
Wow that is looking really good.. So you are using Flourite and DIY CO2 correct? I can only hope to have a sword that looks that strong WOW..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 2954 (permalink) Old 12-07-2008, 07:07 AM Thread Starter
I ♥ BBA!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewalltheway View Post
Looks much better and once you get your DIY reactor made and take out the powerhead, it will really allow the eye to focus on your beautiful plants.

Good job!
Thanks a lot for the tips, it really did help moving the equipment. I am actually using your post GONE LIVE!! - Mark's 55 gal Tank Journal, (Dissolved) (NO 56K) as inspiration. After seeing how well you did with diy co2, I started to venture into more plants than just my Amazon sword and hornwort.

Quote:
Originally Posted by solution7 View Post
Wow that is looking really good.. So you are using Flourite and DIY CO2 correct? I can only hope to have a sword that looks that strong WOW..
Thanks solution7. Yes, I am using flourite and DIY Co2. I absolutely love flourite! My sword started out with just 0.72 watts per gallon and regular gravel with no fertilizers. The flourite is what really had the plant taking off, though. The additional lights were a bonus after that, at a little over 2.5 watts per gallon. I also just started dosing ferts using the PPS-Pro Solution, which resulted in the runner.

Without Algae, death of mankind would be inevitable.
post #18 of 2954 (permalink) Old 12-14-2008, 06:50 AM Thread Starter
I ♥ BBA!

My last week's fiasco....I decided to restart my yeast concoction and used "quick rise" active yeast, since I was out of the regular kind. Bad idea. My co2 drop checker was yellow, half my fish were at the top and half where on the bottom just hanging out. I put in an airstone, did a 25% water change and after a day, most of the fish were back to normal. One of my male cories didn't make it, though. Now his mate is looking kinda sad. I am such an idiot. Here is an updated picture. This time, I had the lid up on purpose as I was trying to let in as much air as possible. Still no excuse for the lousy pictures. I will be rearranging the tank tomorrow. I got rid of my foxtail and purchased some sort of rotala this afternoon.

post #19 of 2954 (permalink) Old 12-22-2008, 03:01 AM Thread Starter
I ♥ BBA!

Changes! My amazon sword outgrew the tank....literally. She had seven babies on the runner and the tips of the mother plant were beginning to grow out of the water and were turning crispy in the light. So I gave it to a fellow hobbyist who has the room for her.

So, I trimmed my rotala green sp. and moved some to the right of the tank. I also planted the new rotala round. in the back. I am now in the grow out phase.... What do you think?

Oh, and my husband helped me out and used a tripod to take better pictures. Much better quality, no?

My new downoi has side shoots!

Is this java moss?

Found that rubber band that broke..... I love Marselia minuta! They came with BBA, but the excel is doing a good job of getting rid of it.

new rotala mini in far left, so tiny and so cute! Most is in my ten gallon, but I stuck a few stems in my 55 for accent. Thanks cardinal tetra for the great quality!

Blyxa is getting more and more side shoots. It is growing like a weed.

post #20 of 2954 (permalink) Old 12-22-2008, 06:45 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

This is awesome! Your plants are doing great. Keep up the good work!

I agree....dewalltheway's 55 is pretty sweet!

29g Journal 10g journal 15g Journal
"Modesty is the only sure bait when fishing for praise."
post #21 of 2954 (permalink) Old 12-22-2008, 10:56 PM Thread Starter
I ♥ BBA!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastfreddie View Post
This is awesome! Your plants are doing great. Keep up the good work!

I agree....dewalltheway's 55 is pretty sweet!
Thanks, fastfreddie! I hope to someday have a 55 as great as dewalltheway's.

post #22 of 2954 (permalink) Old 01-01-2009, 12:04 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

IM not sure if you mentioned it, but how many bottles are you using for the co2?

post #23 of 2954 (permalink) Old 01-01-2009, 03:03 AM Thread Starter
I ♥ BBA!

2 - 2 Liters. I have been pretty successful with 1 1/2 cup sugar and 1/2 teaspoon in each container. I only change one out every other week. The only algae I have trouble with is GSA, especially after moving the Amazon sword out of the tank. Haven't seen any other kind (so far). And since I am posting, here is a small update.

FTS

My bronze cory recovering after a recent scuffle with a checkered barb.

Anyone know what this red plant is? I like this picture, the reflection is pretty awesome IMHO.

Found the culprit who keeps uprooting the downoi. The albino cory was just swimming up to the downoi he flipped out of the substrate. Anyway, I like how his back is turned and the oto has his belly on the glass. Cute, huh?

post #24 of 2954 (permalink) Old 01-05-2009, 12:33 AM Thread Starter
I ♥ BBA!

For Christmas, my husband gave me a co2 regulator and tank. After nearly a week of fighting with the various parts, I am finally able to fine tune it to either 1 BPS or like 7 BPS, no in between. It is aqua euro usa brand, and the needle valve is pathetic. But hey, I am able to get it to work on a timer and I do get 1 BPS consistently now. It has been up for two days with no problems. I hope to buy a splitter soon, so maybe I can use that to get 2 BPS?

Other than that, I have been reading more on aquascaping and moved a few plants around to better compliment each other along with a small trim.

I love this red plant, lately identified by a fellow TPT member as narrow leaf rotala macranda. It came to me as a freebie with my first plants almost dead. Just lately started taking off!

Cool thing I noticed recently about my blyxa on the left side. I thought it was going taller than the right, but what is happening is new shoots are growing which is causing the plants to actually lift out of the substrate. Cool thing is just a few longer roots are actually keeping it from floating, kinda like a balloon with a weight on it. Here's a closeup:

And since he was being a ham, here's a picture of George for you all!

post #25 of 2954 (permalink) Old 01-06-2009, 04:41 AM Thread Starter
I ♥ BBA!

I have babies!

Yeah! I have babies! I was looking at the remnants of my GSA and wondering if it would ever go away and noticed I had fry. Oh happy day. I not only saw platty and guppy fry in various stages, but this little guy looks less than a day old! Oh Blyxa, "how do I love thee.....let me count the ways. . . "

My really gravid female has lost her belly since last night, so I am assuming their hers! This little guy was loving the camera and came out to investigate. I think I see a future model, he's working the camera, no?

post #26 of 2954 (permalink) Old 01-06-2009, 04:48 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

post #27 of 2954 (permalink) Old 01-06-2009, 04:57 AM Thread Starter
I ♥ BBA!

Phoenix, I am glad you think so. My husband just rolled his eyes at me when I decided to name my fry Waldo. He said I am too interested in this fry business and went back to watching football! As if this isn't more important. By the way, I love your avatar. I just surfed your art, you are wicked talented!

post #28 of 2954 (permalink) Old 01-06-2009, 11:49 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Huge transformation between first tank shot and last.
Welcome to the greener side of life.
Knowledge is power!

Craig
post #29 of 2954 (permalink) Old 01-06-2009, 10:11 PM Thread Starter
I ♥ BBA!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WfxXx View Post
Huge transformation between first tank shot and last.
Welcome to the greener side of life.
Knowledge is power!
Thanks a bunch! It's amazing how much you can learn on this site. I actually decided to start trying to grow plants because of you all. The information gathered here has been very helpful and adverted a couple disasters.

post #30 of 2954 (permalink) Old 01-07-2009, 11:26 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Wow, this tank is looking sweet and that fry is definitely workin' it! Good luck with the regulator. Are you diffusing with that powerhead? I got a reg for Christmas too and I'm probably driving people crazy with questions. I can't wait to get stocked up like you!

What is your favorite plant so far? I'm guessing the blyxa judging from your Shakespeare quote.... or was that quote from Waldo to the blyxa? lol

29g Journal 10g journal 15g Journal
"Modesty is the only sure bait when fishing for praise."

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode