Suga Shack - 55 gallon - Where is my algae hiding? :( (56K) - Page 195 - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #2911 of 2954 (permalink) Old 06-08-2012, 09:54 PM
Planted Tank Guru

The tanks are looking good. That HMF seems to be working like a champ. Keep it up.

The Fraternity of Dirt #39
Just because its dirt doesn't make it low tech

Cable's Madness
Fish tanks are like cups of coffee, one is never enough.
"What the smeggin smeg's he smeggin' done now?!" - Lister
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2912 of 2954 (permalink) Old 06-13-2012, 04:40 PM
Woah, I'm a Guru?!

Sara, your tanks are looking great! I LOVE the "fallen branch", it looks AWESOME all filled in, I might have to try something like that so you literally just superglued the plants onto PVC? People keep talking about supergluing plants to things....I really need to try this Do you want me to send you some gutter guard stuff that I used for my moss wall? works pretty well!

I actually really like the look of the jungle on the right side of the tank and some empty, free swimming space for the fish on the left. Not necessarily left bare, but I sort of like how it slopes to one side. It will look really cool if the moss wall fills in on the left too and if the grassy plants (not sure what they are) keep filling in and over to the left. Could be a really cool look.

I didn't recognize this tank at first! It's looking really good! But I thought it was a much bigger tank and the growth in the back was emersed, but not I realize you only took a picture of the bottom portion of the tank I want to see more pictures!

I have to go find the HMF thread now! Great updates and I'm still jealous of your pictures, they're so clear!

30g Low Tech Journal
5 & 10g Low Tech Journal
3 year old Tibetan Terrier named Whisky
11 year old miniature Poodle named Cody
I enjoy having a zoo to care for!
20gH Planted tank,5g Planted Betta Tank
post #2913 of 2954 (permalink) Old 06-16-2012, 03:49 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

*poke*

How's version 3 of the moss wall doing? Bored to death of low tech yet? LOL!

Tanks look good...I especially like that "fallen log" you made.
post #2914 of 2954 (permalink) Old 06-16-2012, 04:07 AM
Planted Tank VIP

Im lichen your lichen How in the heck do you get giant UG? Its so cool looking! I am about to fold the cards on the Yellow shrimp. You get three times as many babies as me and now im sad seeing all of yours
post #2915 of 2954 (permalink) Old 06-16-2012, 04:21 AM
Planted Member

What is the foreground plant on the left? I really like the look

Oh and for those that don't visit my HMF thread (see signature link if curious), I am proud to say it's going well with some hiccups along the way:
[/QUOTE]
post #2916 of 2954 (permalink) Old 06-16-2012, 05:08 AM
Woah, I'm a Guru?!

I too would like to see how the new moss wall is doing!

30g Low Tech Journal
5 & 10g Low Tech Journal
3 year old Tibetan Terrier named Whisky
11 year old miniature Poodle named Cody
I enjoy having a zoo to care for!
20gH Planted tank,5g Planted Betta Tank
post #2917 of 2954 (permalink) Old 06-22-2012, 06:44 PM Thread Starter
I ♥ BBA!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wkndracer View Post
while you're claiming boredom I think the removal of weekly drama can be a good thing.
the updated pics look like stable tanks and happy critters.

congats on the baby otto too! I think that is really cool (and no diapers to change)
Hi Mike! And yes, so cool on no diaper changes. I only wish there were more to look at. How are your tanks coming along? I've been lurking, but not as much time to do so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cableguy69846 View Post
The tanks are looking good. That HMF seems to be working like a champ. Keep it up.
Love it, best decision I ever made. I'll never go back to canisters unless I have to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karackle View Post
Sara, your tanks are looking great! I LOVE the "fallen branch", it looks AWESOME all filled in, I might have to try something like that so you literally just superglued the plants onto PVC? People keep talking about supergluing plants to things....I really need to try this Do you want me to send you some gutter guard stuff that I used for my moss wall? works pretty well!
I used something called Rexlace to tied it down. Was more sturdy than nylon and cotton string and is permanent. In my past experience, superglue isn't too keen with pvc. Most of the time I use superglue, my fingers end up attached to said project as well.

Quote:
I actually really like the look of the jungle on the right side of the tank and some empty, free swimming space for the fish on the left. Not necessarily left bare, but I sort of like how it slopes to one side. It will look really cool if the moss wall fills in on the left too and if the grassy plants (not sure what they are) keep filling in and over to the left. Could be a really cool look.
My plan is to leave the other side really low, but I haven't gotten it even figured out in my head yet. I was babysitting plants that I need to move over to emersed life, but I haven't gotten to that point yet. I'm slow.

Quote:
I didn't recognize this tank at first! It's looking really good! But I thought it was a much bigger tank and the growth in the back was emersed, but not I realize you only took a picture of the bottom portion of the tank I want to see more pictures!

I have to go find the HMF thread now! Great updates and I'm still jealous of your pictures, they're so clear!
Haha, this tank is pretty sad. Case in point:

I raided it for plants and haven't gotten around to redoing it. The fish is happy, so I am not in a hurry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos_Being View Post
*poke*

How's version 3 of the moss wall doing? Bored to death of low tech yet? LOL!

Tanks look good...I especially like that "fallen log" you made.
Hey Chaos!!! Attempt #3 is going much better. I took some pictures a few days ago, but it's already looking even better. Low tech is so slow. But it's not a lot of work so....sigh. It's a trade off. Best looking tank I've had in a while. And practically zero maintenance. That's ideal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chad320 View Post
Im lichen your lichen How in the heck do you get giant UG? Its so cool looking! I am about to fold the cards on the Yellow shrimp. You get three times as many babies as me and now im sad seeing all of yours
*snorts at nerdy plant joke* I have critters, they love critters. The yellows are doing quite well for me. I think the key is really is WV water. Send them to me and I'll take care of them for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ophiophagus View Post
What is the foreground plant on the left? I really like the look
"Utricularia graminifolia" or UG for short. It's a carnivorous plant that can be also grown emersed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karackle View Post
I too would like to see how the new moss wall is doing!
See below for updates. They aren't very new, but I'll try to get more soon.

Needs some work....

Overexposed, but that's typical for me.

Some of the java ferns I got didn't faired well in shipping.

Moss wall:

Without Algae, death of mankind would be inevitable.
post #2918 of 2954 (permalink) Old 06-22-2012, 09:39 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Love the update Sara what crypt is that too the left of the Java fern in the center of the tank? Its sexy!

My dirty journal
Fraternity of dirt #8
post #2919 of 2954 (permalink) Old 06-26-2012, 05:20 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bahugo View Post
what crypt is that too the left of the Java fern in the center of the tank? Its sexy!
Lol I was thinking the same thing. It's so eye-catching!

The tank looks really great. I love it. I haven't been on the forum much in a while but I remember how you used to struggle with algae earlier on, and that reminded me of my struggle with my tanks. Now your tank looks so great!

Sadly mine is still not clear of algae (haven't had the time to pay attention to it).
post #2920 of 2954 (permalink) Old 06-26-2012, 05:29 AM
Planted Tank Guru

What's the sword with the hydrocotyle draping over it? Looks fancy
post #2921 of 2954 (permalink) Old 06-26-2012, 05:34 AM
Pelvicachromis Lover!

Okay, you did the show, but you didn't do the tell! We want both, show and tell!

I'm also interested in the crypt. Very pretty color! I don't know the name of it, but I also love the way the clover-like plant is growing. Very nice growth on it. Probably one of the prettiest examples of it I've seen. Nice looking plants!

Vicki Rena Filstar pimp #142 (four XP4s/three XP2s/one XP1) Eheim pimp #301 (Pro II 2128) Victor pimp #27 (VTS-253B-320)

90g - Journal Pelvicachromis taeniatus 'Moliwe' 75g - Journal Pelvicachromis pulcher 'Lagos Red' Better Pics 8-24
29g - Journal Pelvicachromis pulcher 'unknown' -- 29g - Pelvicachromis taeniatus 'Moliwe'
5g - RCS colony 2.5g - Journal Retired
post #2922 of 2954 (permalink) Old 07-04-2012, 11:31 PM Thread Starter
I ♥ BBA!

Sorry all! I forgot my manners and haven't been checking my journals lately. So I'm multi-quoting to save space.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bahugo View Post
Love the update Sara what crypt is that too the left of the Java fern in the center of the tank? Its sexy!
First - Eww! A plant is never, never, ever SEXY. That's just so wrong.

Second, it is a Cryptocoryne Nurii Phang 'mutated.' From what I understand, Ghazanfar Ghori actually developed the mutation. I could be wrong, so don't quote me without asking him first. I got a little itty baby from Chad that he said something like "I sent you a banged up one to see if you can grow it." He was referring to my up until recently manslaughter of all crypts that crossed paths with me. I'm actually surprise that it's doing so well. In fact, I noticed a runner yesterday!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LICfish View Post
Lol I was thinking the same thing. It's so eye-catching!

The tank looks really great. I love it. I haven't been on the forum much in a while but I remember how you used to struggle with algae earlier on, and that reminded me of my struggle with my tanks. Now your tank looks so great!

Sadly mine is still not clear of algae (haven't had the time to pay attention to it).
Algae is a natural life cycle. It'll clear up when you pick back up maintenance. I wouldn't worry about it unless your plants start to suffer. Look at it as free food. I'll tell you my secret to controlling algae, but don't spread it around.

It is this: I quit listening to everyone's well-intentioned advice especially the experts and started experimenting on my own. I went old school. Searched actual scientific articles on growing plants (above water and aquatic). Learned the basics of how light, co2, temperature and nutrients play a role in the health of both plants and algae. I focused on how to grow algae, not how to eliminate it. I set up little jars of different alga (singular for algae, by the way), manipulated nutrients, co2, lighting, water quality, etc one a time and observed. I came up with a hypothesis like "Nitrogen causes BBA to spike when it is abundant supply" and did exactly that and observed. If the hypothesis failed, I started over with a new idea. If the hypothesis worked, I repeated it over and over again to make sure it didn't fail. At that point I came up with it being a theory. Not fact, but plausible. It was lots of fun and I learned a lot about how algae grows, what you can do to limit it's growth and how to grow healthy plants with minimal water column dosing. This essentially was my goal even for higher lit tanks as our water quality sucks so bad the city was fined recently by the EPA and I can't afford nor want an RO filter. Probably more than you wanted me to say, but there it is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkan0228 View Post
What's the sword with the hydrocotyle draping over it? Looks fancy
Echinodorus parviflorus 'Tropica' is the name. If you ever get the opportunity, jump on it. Great sword but slower in growth and smaller than any other sword I've owned. Really wish I had more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Complexity View Post
Okay, you did the show, but you didn't do the tell! We want both, show and tell!

I'm also interested in the crypt. Very pretty color! I don't know the name of it, but I also love the way the clover-like plant is growing. Very nice growth on it. Probably one of the prettiest examples of it I've seen. Nice looking plants!
Hydrocotyle sp 'Japan' is what it was given to me as. Lovely, lovely plant grows everywhere is invasive even. If you ever want to try it, I'll hook you up. Any other tell you'd like? If not, I have updates! I finally began rescaping the left side and I'm getting really pleased with my tank.

FTS

Moss wall progressing 3rd time around:

I need to ask Wasserpest for an id on this cute little crypt in front of the Limnophilia sp. 'wavy' and some purplely plant I don't know the name of either.

Look at my lovely dremil work at the end when I found out the door wouldn't close and I was irritated.

Crypt mutated you all asked about:

And the sword with a mystery snail (cute!)

The new java fern that made the trip. We'll see how it grows out. I moved the green gecko (still debating on the correct id for that) to the left (see FTS)

And finally - shrimp! I moved 9 shrimp outside to breed and took this opportunity to take pictures against a white background with automatic settings on the camera. I didn't touch up the picture, so you all can see how years of selective breeding pays off for coloring.

And here they are above water climbing on the food to eat. I still kept the auto settings, but the bulb on the tank is 6500 Kelvins which may or may not change their appearance. I frankly don't know. The males are bright yellow and the females are a darker yellow almost sunflower at times.

And finally, the shrimp meet their new roommate. One of three awesome mystery snails.

So that is my update. Where's yours?

post #2923 of 2954 (permalink) Old 07-05-2012, 12:20 AM
Pelvicachromis Lover!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sewingalot View Post
Second, it is a Cryptocoryne Nurii Phang 'mutated.' From what I understand, Ghazanfar Ghori actually developed the mutation. I could be wrong, so don't quote me without asking him first. I got a little itty baby from Chad that he said something like "I sent you a banged up one to see if you can grow it." He was referring to my up until recently manslaughter of all crypts that crossed paths with me. I'm actually surprise that it's doing so well. In fact, I noticed a runner yesterday!
I'd like to formally take my place in line for one of the runners. I think I'll probably be somewhere around #356 which means I'll get one around the year 2074, but that's okay. I'll be sure to include its posthumous arrival in my will.

Seriously, very pretty crypt. I'll have to watch for it when it becomes available. I'd love to add that one to my tanks.

Quote:
I set up little jars of different alga (singular for algae, by the way), manipulated nutrients, co2, lighting, water quality, etc one a time and observed.
Have you ever done a write up on your experiments and experience? I would love to learn from you on this!

I'm especially interested in two areas. One is the growth of BBA because I don't think it's as simple as high or stable CO2. It sounds like you gained more information that I'd find highly interesting.

The other is a theory I've been batting around in my mind, but don't know where I could even start to narrow down the actual cause. I have noticed that new tank setups are especially prone to algae. And while the normal rationale is to suggest that the person alter their lighting, ferts, CO2, or what have you, I have found that this is not always the cause. There seems to be something that changes as a tank matures which makes it more resistant to algae (or less susceptible, if you will). I have no idea what that mysterious something may be. It's not cycling, but it is definitely related to new tank setups.

I have watched my tanks go through this new tank algae phase, and without changing a single thing in my setup, I've been able to get rid of the algae and not have it come back. If I'm not changing anything in my setups, then that cannot be the reason for the change. The only factor I can see that seems to trigger this algae susceptibility and then algae resistance is the age of the tank. Therefore, I believe something happens, but I have no idea what.

But I digress. I find it funny how the joy of planted tanks brings us to become little scientists regarding algae! LOL!

Quote:
Hydrocotyle sp 'Japan' is what it was given to me as. Lovely, lovely plant grows everywhere is invasive even. If you ever want to try it, I'll hook you up.
I'd be crazy to say no! Sure, I would love some. Send me a PM whenever it's a good time for you.

On your updates... I love your moss wall! One of the prettiest I've seen! Which moss is that?

I'm not Wasserpest, but my guess on the little crypt ID is either C. parva or C. lucens. C. parva is really small and very slow growing. By looking at the picture, I'm suspecting you have C. lucens. I think the purplely plant looks like Hygrophila araguaia.

Your tank is looking really nice! Lots of healthy plants. Love the shrimp, too! Their meeting with their new mystery friend is too cute! LOL!

Vicki Rena Filstar pimp #142 (four XP4s/three XP2s/one XP1) Eheim pimp #301 (Pro II 2128) Victor pimp #27 (VTS-253B-320)

90g - Journal Pelvicachromis taeniatus 'Moliwe' 75g - Journal Pelvicachromis pulcher 'Lagos Red' Better Pics 8-24
29g - Journal Pelvicachromis pulcher 'unknown' -- 29g - Pelvicachromis taeniatus 'Moliwe'
5g - RCS colony 2.5g - Journal Retired
post #2924 of 2954 (permalink) Old 07-05-2012, 01:23 AM Thread Starter
I ♥ BBA!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Complexity View Post
I'd like to formally take my place in line for one of the runners. I think I'll probably be somewhere around #356 which means I'll get one around the year 2074, but that's okay. I'll be sure to include its posthumous arrival in my will.

Seriously, very pretty crypt. I'll have to watch for it when it becomes available. I'd love to add that one to my tanks.
You are first one to mention it, so congratulations, you are first in line if I can ever convince myself to part with it. It wouldn't be until fall, though. This heat wave is awful. We lost power for almost a day and it was miserable. I thought my fish made it through unscathed, but now I am finding I lost all but one apisto and I'm now finding many yellow shrimp bodies. Even some of the more cooler water plants are melting.

Quote:
Have you ever done a write up on your experiments and experience? I would love to learn from you on this!
I have outlines and notes with plenty of sources cited both by first hand discussions with those passionate about algae (professional level) and secondary research. My intention is to write up my experiences for the fun of it, but I am in the process of writing my first fictional novel just for kicks. I'll probably pick it up after that's done and will be glad to send you my links to the blog of terror in a pm.

In the meantime, I'll just tell you based on personal experience and reading my brief thoughts on your own observations.

Quote:
I'm especially interested in two areas. One is the growth of BBA because I don't think it's as simple as high or stable CO2. It sounds like you gained more information that I'd find highly interesting.
You are indeed correct. It's not as simple. I found in several instances that this was not proven as the end all of be all. I even hooked up pressurized co2. I can tell you a very interesting aspect of Rhodophyta algae some are found in very clean acidic fast flowing waters like what most refer to as BBA, others that actually look similar to BBA but aren't and staghorns like the exact opposite alkaline, slower waters. Both are found in cleaner waters and it's been thought that they aid in helping to purify the water source. So think of it this way. You and I have "BBA" but mine is actually Compsopogon and yours is actually Audouinella. In the initial stages, Compsopogon really mimics the look of BBA and in certain circumstances stays compact and doesn't get branchy. This is the type of algae that doesn't typically respond well to CO2 and thrives in low co2. Upping your co2 often shuts it down. Now say that I have an acidic loving algae and up my co2. What's going to happen?

However, there is a level of co2 that most red algaes can't thrive at and they are also at the stages that are often not great levels for some types of fish. Despite what people may say that their fish are healthy, take a guppy or platy and put it in an extremely acidic conditions long term, breed it a few generations and see how healthy they end up being. Also, look at most of the people that say "I got rid of my algae with high levels of co2." Consistently, the majority will use H2O2 or excel as a spot treatment in addition to cranking up the gas. So they are effectively killing and removing the algae manually. Are they truly getting rid of it with high co2 levels?

Now here is the kicker. These algae reproduce sexually. And they need water movement to do so. Where do most BBA reside in tanks? Near or on filters. This is the highest flowing area making it prime real-estate. My ultimate cure that's worked a lot of the time? Removing the plants, putting them in a tank free of water movement or in a sunny window and letting them sit for a LONG time. You can fertilize, blast it with light everything. Just don't let the water move. But now you are finding more issues including BGA. This is lovely water for other algae, lol. It's an interesting process.

Quote:
The other is a theory I've been batting around in my mind, but don't know where I could even start to narrow down the actual cause. I have noticed that new tank setups are especially prone to algae. And while the normal rationale is to suggest that the person alter their lighting, ferts, CO2, or what have you, I have found that this is not always the cause. There seems to be something that changes as a tank matures which makes it more resistant to algae (or less susceptible, if you will). I have no idea what that mysterious something may be. It's not cycling, but it is definitely related to new tank setups.

I have watched my tanks go through this new tank algae phase, and without changing a single thing in my setup, I've been able to get rid of the algae and not have it come back. If I'm not changing anything in my setups, then that cannot be the reason for the change. The only factor I can see that seems to trigger this algae susceptibility and then algae resistance is the age of the tank. Therefore, I believe something happens, but I have no idea what.
Absolutely something is happening. Look at nature. In the spring, start following the life of a pond. It starts out with green water, BGA. These are meant to feed the new life. This in turn feeds the diatoms that feed the bottom feeders that feed the other fish. Temperature, lighting, nutrients available and what types of nutrients available affect what algae thrives. By the end of the summer, the cycle has matured. When you first set up a tank, if you don't interfere you really see what nature intended. Initially, there is an abundance of ammonia, bacterias, unicelluar algae feeding frenzy and then it settles down.

I'm probably not making much sense, especially since I am mostly asleep. LOL

Quote:
But I digress. I find it funny how the joy of planted tanks brings us to become little scientists regarding algae! LOL!
Me too. I love learning the hows and whys more than excepting standard practice. I've been known to annoy people because of my curiosity, but that's alright by me. I don't keep planted tanks for them. I keep them for myself and part of the fun for me is to test the boundaries. LOL

Quote:
I'd be crazy to say no! Sure, I would love some. Send me a PM whenever it's a good time for you.
Will do.

Quote:
On your updates... I love your moss wall! One of the prettiest I've seen! Which moss is that?

I'm not Wasserpest, but my guess on the little crypt ID is either C. parva or C. lucens. C. parva is really small and very slow growing. By looking at the picture, I'm suspecting you have C. lucens. I think the purplely plant looks like Hygrophila araguaia.

Your tank is looking really nice! Lots of healthy plants. Love the shrimp, too! Their meeting with their new mystery friend is too cute! LOL!
It came from NeoShrimp and another person I can't remember. One is supposed to be Taiwan and the other is Christmas. I don't know which is which, though. Should have labeled.

And thanks for the id's. I remember the name Hygro araguaia being listed in the plants so you are probably spot on with that - the pictures do look very similar. Very pretty plant, it should be used more often in the hobby.

That crypt does look like a lucens but maybe a hybrid? Definitely not parva. I've had that before and this is larger in leaves. It's bright green in the middle and bronze on the edges. It's very pretty.

And thanks. Oh, Happy 4th!

post #2925 of 2954 (permalink) Old 07-05-2012, 12:38 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

WOW LOOKING GREAT!!!!

SHRIMP ARE SUPER YELLOW!!! AWESOME!!! I need to go back and read the last few pages that I have missed being gone soo much this summer! But been up all nite with upset stomach, so I'm a bit tired now!

Looking Great !!!
Drew

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode