Suga Shack - 55 gallon - Where is my algae hiding? :( (56K) - Page 187 - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #2791 of 2954 (permalink) Old 12-14-2011, 05:30 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by sewingalot View Post
The only thing I have against the east sun is the fact it is the brightest and it heats up the water the fastest. For algae, it is great. For moss, find a way to shade it a little if you start seeing either browning of the moss or algae growing.

I don't like using anything other than a plain old snail because the nitrogen cycle never fully establishes itself if you are constantly changing 100% of the water. To me, it's not fair to subject a fish or shrimp to the water as snails can crawl out if something gets bad, but they are stuck sitting in it. But, if you used a larger jar and actually gave the cycle a chance to establish, didn't change the water so heavily, I could see it working.

You'll love your pond. Getting 15 feet around ours meant getting 15 mosquitoes attached to my legs. The closer I got, the more they annoyed me. Of course, people know me as the bug deterrent. I am invited to barbeques so everyone else remains bug free.

Pretty much, you can't screw up the moss jars. Moss will grow in just about anything. You could use just aquarium water for fertilizer even. As I tend to do, I overthink even this little setup.
I may try something in a bigger jar if I can get my hands on it. Right now with it being all cold and that, I am not worried about the jars heating up too much from the sun. And hopefully by the time spring hits, they will be in the basement where it is much cooler.

I agree with you on the cycle. If I were to go that route, I would let the nitrogen cycle fully establish before I did anything. But, like you said, a bigger jar would be optimal. I may try to find one that is a gallon or so. Maybe a big pickle jar.

When I do the pond, I plan on adding a bunch of hardy bug eating fish. Mosquito fish if I can find them, if not maybe swordtails, or guppies. That way the bug population will stay low. Probably will overflow it once a week too to help with that. Maybe more often if I have to.

For now I am going to stick with tank water until I can try a more controlled experiment. I want to setup something where I can control the light and temp a bit better and eliminate as many variables as I can so I can get a good test going. Playing with light and all that will be an experiment that I will perform first though. But for now, I am good with the fish tank water.

Thanks for all the info, I really appreciate it.

The Fraternity of Dirt #39
Just because its dirt doesn't make it low tech

Cable's Madness
Fish tanks are like cups of coffee, one is never enough.
"What the smeggin smeg's he smeggin' done now?!" - Lister
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2792 of 2954 (permalink) Old 12-14-2011, 05:34 PM Thread Starter
I ♥ BBA!

My pond was full of guppies and endlers. Didn't really help much. I think they just like water. I did hear water movement will help. They also make mosquito dunks that don't hurt fish, but I don't know if they hurt other things like snails.

Try craft stores for larger jars. They often have coupons for half off as well. Lot less work than eating a bunch of pickels. Good luck with your experiments, and keep that thread updated.

Without Algae, death of mankind would be inevitable.
post #2793 of 2954 (permalink) Old 12-14-2011, 06:04 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
My pond was full of guppies and endlers. Didn't really help much. I think they just like water. I did hear water movement will help. They also make mosquito dunks that don't hurt fish, but I don't know if they hurt other things like snails.

Try craft stores for larger jars. They often have coupons for half off as well. Lot less work than eating a bunch of pickels. Good luck with your experiments, and keep that thread updated.
Good to know on the fish. Maybe a type of Killie would work better for bug control. That is going to be another experiment. Lol.

I will look there. As for the pickles, not sure eating them all would be a problem with a pregnant fiancee. Lol.

Cable's Madness
post #2794 of 2954 (permalink) Old 12-14-2011, 06:10 PM Thread Starter
I ♥ BBA!

The fish eat the mosquito larvae, it's the flying xyz's that annoyed me (and apparently my neighbor's girlfriend now hates me, lol). True, just pick up some ice cream and you're good to go! Maybe send a jar to D's wife to get some help with that.

post #2795 of 2954 (permalink) Old 12-14-2011, 06:13 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
The fish eat the mosquito larvae, it's the flying xyz's that annoyed me (and apparently my neighbor's girlfriend now hates me, lol). True, just pick up some ice cream and you're good to go! Maybe send a jar to D's wife to get some help with that.
Those are going to be a pain. Lol, the funny part of that is, the fiancee hates ice cream, but she has been craving it. Lol. I am sure he wouldn't mind. "Hey Damon, you think your wife can polish a big jar of pickles off for me? I want to grow moss." That would be an interesting convo for sure.

Cable's Madness
post #2796 of 2954 (permalink) Old 12-18-2011, 12:07 AM Thread Starter
I ♥ BBA!

LOL, Cable. Didn't see this until now. Funny.

Small update for you all that are following just dying to know what is going on with the tank. First off, I am done to one bulb because of something going on with the ballast. The ludwigias are taking the biggest hit. Twisty growth, not so preety over all. Also, the HG/HM is growing upward instead of creeping. Some of this could be due to the fact it needs a haircut. The downoi is looking fabulous! Still looking for what to put in the right side. Was hoping some of the stems would grow already.

Guppy/endler hybrids for Kara especially (two out of all these pictures are good, lol)

Shrimper! and oto hiding

Full tank shot of the 10 gallon "urban decay"

Little bit of pinholes showing up. May have to actually do a water change or add some K

Yellow + blue shrimp = brown shrimp. Can you see him?

Sadly, my blue pearl tank is contaminated with yellows. I tried not to, but it happened. Will consider moving some true blues into a new tank if it ever gets setup.

Snails!

Cute albino snail

Okay picture of the girl. Water is getting so cold in here, I am thinking of using a heater

Snail and moss! Any idea on the species of moss?

Cute!

I will not be selling these guys. Look at the cool yellow/blue hybrid on the right, though.

Onto the 55, the "Suga Shack" (caution! These pictures contain algae. Just looking at them is said to cause a possible algae outbreak in your tank.)

Still looking? Okay!
Locally collected fissidens

Preggo oto, proof I didn't kill the crypts, an empty snail shell tanks to the red claws and a yellow shrimp

Crypt affinis is hiding. Need to trim the Hg/Hm:

Didilpis diandra and ludwigia hybrid?

Hurting ludwigia sp 'red' Need to finish fixing those lights:

Najas r.

Downoi is doing well!!

To give you an idea of how it looked, this is some I recently pulled over when I tore down the 15:

And now, again it looks like this:

HC sole patch:

Berried yellow

Crypts (how do I tell the sunset from the indonesia?):

Erio Type 2 and crypts (notice the baby mutated crypt?)

My view point of the 55:

The end:

Still need to do the following:
1. Fix up the filters and think seriously about taking down the second one.
2. Fix the light, too lazy to finish that
3. Find some buckets to do a water change
4. Clean the glass for once before pictures
5. Scrape algae off glass if I ever find the motivation.
6. Realize I haven't done anything on my list and get a drink instead.

Well that is the last post of the year for sure on this tank! Nothing more to show as you can see, nothing really is changing. Sadly, had a difficult time finding algae to photography, but if you look at some of the pictures, there should be some GSA on some of the pictures, maybe BBA if you look hard enough!

post #2797 of 2954 (permalink) Old 12-18-2011, 12:15 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Wow. All the plants and tanks look really good. I wish I had tanks that looked like that. Oh, well. I will just stare at yours.

Cable's Madness
post #2798 of 2954 (permalink) Old 12-18-2011, 12:19 AM
Canon pimp #002

Lovely pics, Sara! The tank is looking good. And there has definitely been some growth, especially on the Ludwigia hybrid.

Your downoi is looking good.

I starved mine of macro nutrients for a while, so a bit of the newer growth is whitish, I'm guessing it's mack of Mg and or Iron.

RIP 75g Journal | OEBT Journal |120g "New Beginning"

Canon Pimp Club #002
Honeycomb and friends club
post #2799 of 2954 (permalink) Old 12-18-2011, 03:18 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:

Small update for you all that are following just dying to know what is going on with the tank. First off, I am done to one bulb because of something going on with the ballast. The ludwigias are taking the biggest hit. Twisty growth, not so preety over all. Also, the HG/HM is growing upward instead of creeping. Some of this could be due to the fact it needs a haircut. The downoi is looking fabulous! Still looking for what to put in the right side. Was hoping some of the stems would grow already.

Full tank shot of the 10 gallon "urban decay"
I like this tank alot, truthfully I am not a fan of "urban" scapes, I usually find them really tacky but I think this one is tastefully done. You should try too somehow attach moss too the divider, it would look like vines growing up it!

Quote:
Yellow + blue shrimp = brown shrimp. Can you see him?
Lol, I have some brown shrimp and I moved them too a high temp tank the one with my tylos in it, it's 80+, well was now I lowered the temp somewhat in there but the shrimp aren't in there anymore... enough blabbering too my point. When I moved the light brownish-interbreed colored shrimp into the high temp tank he turned almost completely black, and stayed that color until I lowered the temp. And it was actually a really solid color too, I may have some pics somewhere of it. Not sure why I felt like mentioning that but I thought it was interesting lol.

Quote:

I will not be selling these guys. Look at the cool yellow/blue hybrid on the right, though.
This guy is cute! You can actually see both colors.

Quote:
Still looking? Okay!
Locally collected fissidens
I'm jealous, I wish I could find some fissiden locally. Maybe me and Chad will have too go on a hunt this year lol

Quote:
Preggo oto, proof I didn't kill the crypts, an empty snail shell tanks to the red claws and a yellow shrimp
Grats on the oto! I love oto's I am always so scared to buy them though because when I did before they all died. The crypt is super cool!

Quote:
Crypt affinis is hiding. Need to trim the Hg/Hm:
It's like the great divide lol.
Quote:

Hurting ludwigia sp 'red' Need to finish fixing those lights:
What is wrong with the Ludwigia red? It looks really good too me...

Quote:
Najas r.
crypts (notice the baby mutated crypt?)
I'm a huge fan of Najas R. is it just as weedy as regular guppy grass? If you ever need too trim it you know who's over yonder. Grats on the baby crypt!

Quote:
The end:

!
Tank looks great Sara! Not sure I see anything wrong with the ludwigia, seems like it is happy and sending off sideshoots..

My dirty journal
Fraternity of dirt #8
post #2800 of 2954 (permalink) Old 12-18-2011, 04:04 AM
Wannabe Guru

Looks like those hybrids both shrimp and fish didn't turn out too badly. I like the mixed colors on the endler guppies.

LOL on the urban decay tank! You should see the one I have at home Nothing but algae, shrimp, snails, and giant crypts. It hasn't had a water change in 3 months.

That mystery moss looks like peacock moss. Love that stuff.

I didn't realize that the fissidens ball was that big until I saw the fts. I'll need to go search for some one of these days. There are some trout streams around here that might hold some. Where did you find it?

What's all that stuff you've got growing on the filter pipe and sponge?

The crypt up front is C. wendtii 'Indonesia' and the one behind it is the florida sunset. They're all wendtii varieties I got from Chad, I think. I'll have to send you more various crypts!

Tank: 20 gallons, 62 watts t5, DIY CO2

Unemployed, poor, and still living off the parents.
post #2801 of 2954 (permalink) Old 12-18-2011, 04:26 AM
Planted Tank Guru

yowza! thats alot of pictures they look great!

i especially love that 10g!
post #2802 of 2954 (permalink) Old 12-19-2011, 06:37 PM Thread Starter
I ♥ BBA!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cableguy69846 View Post
Wow. All the plants and tanks look really good. I wish I had tanks that looked like that. Oh, well. I will just stare at yours.
Thanks, Cable. If I can do it, you can do it! (Those commercials that say that phrase annoy me, the ITT tech ones, haha)

Quote:
Originally Posted by zachary908 View Post
Lovely pics, Sara! The tank is looking good. And there has definitely been some growth, especially on the Ludwigia hybrid.

Your downoi is looking good.

I starved mine of macro nutrients for a while, so a bit of the newer growth is whitish, I'm guessing it's mack of Mg and or Iron.
I do know they are Mg hogs and do appreciate iron. They don't really seem to care where it comes from though. I've found downoi responds excellent to root fertilizers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bahugo View Post
I like this tank alot, truthfully I am not a fan of "urban" scapes, I usually find them really tacky but I think this one is tastefully done. You should try too somehow attach moss too the divider, it would look like vines growing up it!
Not a bad idea with the moss. The idea of this tank was to represent a city street being reclaimed by nature after it's abandoned. I got the idea from the sidewalks in disarray in parts of this city. I find it fascinating how nature finds cracks and crevices to re-establish itself in a concrete jungle.

Quote:
Lol, I have some brown shrimp and I moved them too a high temp tank the one with my tylos in it, it's 80+, well was now I lowered the temp somewhat in there but the shrimp aren't in there anymore... enough blabbering too my point. When I moved the light brownish-interbreed colored shrimp into the high temp tank he turned almost completely black, and stayed that color until I lowered the temp. And it was actually a really solid color too, I may have some pics somewhere of it. Not sure why I felt like mentioning that but I thought it was interesting lol.
Nice. I'll remember that to kill shrimp, cook them.

Quote:
This guy is cute! You can actually see both colors.
Too bad they don't stay that way. Most of the offspring is now like a wild cherry looking shrimp. But I think they are cute. Just really glad I was able to ship some of the blue pearls to non-c before the contamination. Now CT can ask him for BPs if he has a disaster.

Quote:
I'm jealous, I wish I could find some fissiden locally. Maybe me and Chad will have too go on a hunt this year lol
I found it randomly, didn't even know I brought it home with me. LOL

Quote:
Grats on the oto! I love oto's I am always so scared to buy them though because when I did before they all died. The crypt is super cool!
They never seem to get to the point of breeding, sadly.

Quote:
What is wrong with the Ludwigia red? It looks really good too me...
The new growth is curly and smallish. Looks like she curled her leaves under for a date. Some of the leaves are paler red.

Quote:
I'm a huge fan of Najas R. is it just as weedy as regular guppy grass? If you ever need too trim it you know who's over yonder. Grats on the baby crypt!
Roger that. Remind me when the time comes and I'll share.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardinal Tetra View Post
Looks like those hybrids both shrimp and fish didn't turn out too badly. I like the mixed colors on the endler guppies.

LOL on the urban decay tank! You should see the one I have at home Nothing but algae, shrimp, snails, and giant crypts. It hasn't had a water change in 3 months.

That mystery moss looks like peacock moss. Love that stuff.

I didn't realize that the fissidens ball was that big until I saw the fts. I'll need to go search for some one of these days. There are some trout streams around here that might hold some. Where did you find it?

What's all that stuff you've got growing on the filter pipe and sponge?

The crypt up front is C. wendtii 'Indonesia' and the one behind it is the florida sunset. They're all wendtii varieties I got from Chad, I think. I'll have to send you more various crypts!
Peacock could be the winner. I remember getting that particular moss a long time ago. I'm going to try and rescue a piece and grow it in another tank.

Those endler hybrids are really good looking in person. One has a grey tail with white stripes on the top and bottom. I've never seen such a brilliant shade of white on a guppy before. They are really cute fish.

Sad about the blue pearls. I am setting up a small 3 gallon to rescue some of the younger ones that aren't berried and for sure are BPs. I figured with a little time, I'll rebuild a population.

Thanks on the id. So the wrinkly one is Indonesia. Guess what? She is with child! I have a baby crypt!!! I can't believe it.

As far as the fissidens, I found it on my shoe from a trip to a local park. It was stuck in the ridges, lol. This is mostly what it looked like: http://ohiomosslichen.org/MossID11.html Almost like little christmas tree branches. Didn't even know if it was aquatic, I just threw it in the tank for the fun of it. It grows on sand near the water at the base of the rocks in this area. Not sure what sp of fissidens it is even.

It and the hydrocotyle has taken over since the SAE (RIP) depature. I am impressed at how much this one fish could eat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by orchidman View Post
yowza! thats alot of pictures they look great!

i especially love that 10g!
Thanks, Bob. Went a little camera happy. I tend to take 500000 pictures in hopes of getting at least one nice shot. Most of the time I fail, lol.

Oh, on tank realted news:

I trimmed the HM for the first time in weeks. Oh boy, did this create a huge mess! Didn't think until after I started trimming to turn off filters so there was little pieces flying everywhere. It was snowing green leaves. After one half of an hour of scooping and picking, I got the majority of it and decided to stop trimming. That was fun. Meanwhile, I am one the lookout for a new carpetting plant that isn't so adventurous.

And some awesome news! I got a very generous gift recently! It was a regulator built by one our members. It has a solenoid and all kinds of bells and whistles. Frankly, it is awesomeness at it's finest. Waiting for the husband to help me set it up after the holidays. I didn't plan on posting in the journal for a while, but I really had to share how excited I am about build by bettatail. It's so fantastic. I'll take pictures when I get it setup and working!

Until then, enjoy the days to come!

post #2803 of 2954 (permalink) Old 12-19-2011, 06:56 PM
Planted Tank Guru

tanks looks lovely sara!

125g Mud tank.
(A)narchy Love
The Fraternity of Dirt #2
post #2804 of 2954 (permalink) Old 12-19-2011, 06:59 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Lol. ITT commercials.

Cable's Madness
post #2805 of 2954 (permalink) Old 12-19-2011, 07:43 PM
Planted Tank VIP

Wow, this tank is doing great. I hope you get your stuff done through the holidays and post us up some more when the Christmas fog clears I am really likeing the look of the HM. Thats a first for me, I usually dont like it. Yours looks great! What a fantastic tank this must be in person!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode