Suga Shack - 55 gallon - Where is my algae hiding? :( (56K) - Page 11 - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #151 of 2954 (permalink) Old 03-22-2009, 06:29 PM
Wannabe Guru

Send a message via AIM to monkeyruler90
wow. thats a beautiful blyxa forest!
and that sucks to hear about the lights giving you algae, did you raise the co2 when you upgraded?

--Oscar.
Fluval pimp #4 aka PIMP master!
I SAID ITS GREAT
TO BE

A FLORIDA GATOR!!

40 gallon LED fixture
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #152 of 2954 (permalink) Old 03-22-2009, 06:30 PM
Wannabe Guru

Send a message via AIM to monkeyruler90
oh and i started laughing sooo hard when you mentioned that you had to qt your "big fish" before you put him in your tank. that was hillarious.

--Oscar.
Fluval pimp #4 aka PIMP master!
I SAID ITS GREAT
TO BE

A FLORIDA GATOR!!

40 gallon LED fixture
post #153 of 2954 (permalink) Old 03-23-2009, 01:11 AM Thread Starter
I ♥ BBA!

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyruler90 View Post
wow. thats a beautiful blyxa forest!
and that sucks to hear about the lights giving you algae, did you raise the co2 when you upgraded?
Thanks for the compliments, monkeyruler90. Did I raise the co2 or nutrients? No. I just put them on the tank, plugged them into the timer and sit back and relaxed. And I wonder why I am getting algae.....lol! I wanted to wait on the weekend to up the co2 so I could keep a close eye on the fish. I am already seeing improvement after 2 days. I also cut out a lot of infected plants, but I need to take out more. I also dropped the lights to six hours and upped the nutrients. I guess it is going to take a while.

Strange thing is the blyxa is virtually algae free. Go figure. Oh, and I noticed three new shoots off my long dead downoi! Happy day!

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyruler90 View Post
oh and i started laughing sooo hard when you mentioned that you had to qt your "big fish" before you put him in your tank. that was hillarious.
Thanks, for finding me amusing. I am normally not the funny type. I normally tell the punch line first. My "big fish" tells me I shouldn't even try to tell jokes.

Vicki - I love your tank! I am glad to hear you haven't had any issues with the rainbows. Welcome back! More pictures soon, please.

Without Algae, death of mankind would be inevitable.
post #154 of 2954 (permalink) Old 03-23-2009, 03:27 AM Thread Starter
I ♥ BBA!

My new fish in quarantine is showing signs of septicemia and has a pop eye. It has bad red streaks all over her body and her eye is very cloudy. I am treating her and changing the water 25% a day but I am angry she had this disease since it is preventable with simple water changes. I hope she gets better.

Today, I have been moving at snails pace.

But I finally got the pictures taken of my new setup with my new plants - algae!

Snail doing its job:

Teenage platties in front of a plant I don't know the name of:

My Erio type 2 is finally thriving thanks to the new lights:

And so is the algae (otos couldn't be happier):

One bright note, my downoi is coming back!

post #155 of 2954 (permalink) Old 03-23-2009, 02:37 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Send a message via AIM to boltp777
eveything is looking great im happy your downoi is coming back since the fry were eating it from when the last time i seen it. the platies look like gold twinbar platies or sunburst platies or a hybrid.

42 gallon hex journal coming soon
post #156 of 2954 (permalink) Old 03-23-2009, 04:09 PM
Pelvicachromis Lover!

Your tank looks great! Your algae problem looks to be very small at this stage. I bet you can stop it quickly. Plus, a little algae is in all tanks so what you have now isn't bad at all.

I'm so sorry about your sick fish! The popeye is bad enough, but the red streaks is a really bad sign. Can you return the fish? I would not blame your water unless you put the fish in a small amount of water, over fed it a million times, and never changed the water for a month. Otherwise, the fish was already sick, and the stress of being bagged and moved has weakened it enough for the disease to really attack full force.

Vicki —Rena Filstar pimp #142 (four XP4s/three XP2s/one XP1) • Eheim pimp #301 (Pro II 2128) • Victor pimp #27 (VTS-253B-320)

• 90g - Journal Pelvicachromis taeniatus 'Moliwe' —— • 75g - Journal Pelvicachromis pulcher 'Lagos Red' Better Pics 8-24
• 29g - Journal Pelvicachromis pulcher 'unknown' —-- • 29g - Pelvicachromis taeniatus 'Moliwe'
• 5g - RCS colony —————————————————— • 2.5g - Journal Retired
post #157 of 2954 (permalink) Old 03-24-2009, 05:16 AM Thread Starter
I ♥ BBA!

Quote:
Originally Posted by boltp777 View Post
eveything is looking great im happy your downoi is coming back since the fry were eating it from when the last time i seen it. the platies look like gold twinbar platies or sunburst platies or a hybrid.
Thanks. I think the babies are enjoying the algae at the moment and leaving the downoi alone for now. That or it's coming back after I quit dosing Mg (since my water is already hard). You know what is strange about those platties? I have no other platty that looks like them. Go figure. Pretty though, I looked up sunburst and they do look a lot like that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Complexity View Post
Your tank looks great! Your algae problem looks to be very small at this stage. I bet you can stop it quickly. Plus, a little algae is in all tanks so what you have now isn't bad at all.

I'm so sorry about your sick fish! The popeye is bad enough, but the red streaks is a really bad sign. Can you return the fish? I would not blame your water unless you put the fish in a small amount of water, over fed it a million times, and never changed the water for a month. Otherwise, the fish was already sick, and the stress of being bagged and moved has weakened it enough for the disease to really attack full force.
The algae was worse. I cut most of it out. I just blurred the pictures enough to disguise how bad it really looks. On a bright side, there is definitely some red on the bba in the moss. So I am thinking it is beginning to turn around. I cut my hours back to 6 1/2 and upped the co2 a bit. I am going to try the H202 if this doesn't work. A wise gal named Vicki suggested fixing the problem instead of just treating it.

I am not able to return the fish. I put some Furan (spelling?) in the tank yesterday and already the eye is clearing up. The red streaks are still there and she is still breathing heavy. Also, the fish is very gravid which is probably adding to her stress. However, she did eat a little for the first time in days.

I tested the water in the quarantine tank. Ammonia is 0, Nitrites 0, and Nitrates 20. I am thinking you are right about the fish already being sick before I bought her. I am hoping the best for her. Keep your fingers crossed.

post #158 of 2954 (permalink) Old 03-24-2009, 12:28 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

this sounds like

HEMORHAGIC SEPTICEMIA

What is it?
Thankfully, most fish owners will never come across this disease. But when this disease occurs it has devastating consequences. It progresses slowly, often with little symptoms. The fish will continually more lethargic until it finally dies.
It is caused by a bacteria that attacks a fish's blood vessels. The bacteria slowly spread, causing hemorrhaging along the way, thus the name. Eventually the disease reaches the heart and other vital organs and the fish will die.

It is often brought about by poor water quality, as are many diseases. Parasitic infections may trigger the disease, but are not a direct cause. The fish may exhibit dropsy-like symptoms as body fluids leak into the abdomen, causing the fish to appear pine-cone like.

It is also often due to high ammonia levels, and for that reason is more common in goldfish. (I.e., goldfish produce a lot of waste and in turn water is more susceptible to high ammonia.) Water changes should be carried out regularly to help prevent this nasty disease.

It may not affect all fish in an aquarium, and often only affects fish with a wound or point of entry.

As well as a bacterial form of this disease, a viral form also exist. It is less common however.

Symptoms:
Streaks of blood in fins are often one of the first obvious signs. The may have red areas on their body and eyes as well. The fish will become lethargic, which increases in severity as time goes by.

If the condition is brought about by ammonia, ammonia poisoning symptoms may also appear. These include gasping at the surface and rapid breathing.

Cure:
Quick treatment is essential! Firstly check water parameters (pH should be 6.5 - 7.2 and ammonia should be 0). Fix these and progress to treatment. A broad spectrum anti-biotic should cure the problem, providing there has not been too much internal damage done. Medicated food may also help. Sadly, it may be too late and the fish may die regardless.

A small amount of aquarium salt added to the aquarium will help with stress and will help restore fluid levels to a normal level within the fishes body.

Remember, water quality is always extremely important- so always check that first as it is often the cause of disease in aquarium fish. When treating sick fish, try to put the least amount of stress on them as possible, as stress will hinder the heeling process. Another thing is to remember is that generally, a healthy fish is a happy fish.

source : http://www.angelfire.com/blues/fish_...EPTICEMIA.html

i seen some of the fish at my work have it its sad.

post #159 of 2954 (permalink) Old 03-25-2009, 02:53 AM Thread Starter
I ♥ BBA!

Unhappy

Quote:
this sounds like
HEMORHAGIC SEPTICEMIA
. . . source : http://www.angelfire.com/blues/fish_...EPTICEMIA.html

i seen some of the fish at my work have it its sad.
Crap! This is it exactly. Unfortunately, the other two fish that I had in quarantine but were recently put in the main tank are showing signs as well this evening. I took them back to quarantine and am treating them as well. I am keeping a close eye on the parameters (which are really good, thankfully) and changing 25% of the water every other day. I was changing everyday, but the medicine I put in there said to wait 48 hours for the medicine to work before changing the water. I am not sure the female is going to make it. She is becoming lethargic and breathing sallow.

What should I do about the main tank since the two fish now sick were in there for a day or so before I moved them back to quarantine? Should I wait until I see any symptoms showing up or treat as a preventative? Poor fish. I am coming close to culling the female. She is really pitiful looking.

post #160 of 2954 (permalink) Old 03-25-2009, 05:33 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

i wouldnt treat the main tank. i would leave the fish in quarantine and treat them there
i would buy a medicated fish food like Jungle Anti-Bacteria Medicated Fish Food for the fish that are in your tank. if your really scared take all your fish out and treat them in the quarantine tank. Treatment is usually a week sometimes longer below is some more information on what types of medication is effective. hope the fishes feel better =(

source: http://www.nippyfish.net/septicemia.html
How to Treat Septicemia?

Usually when treating fish illnesses I recommend antibiotics be used sparingly but in the case of septicemia, I strongly suggest starting with them. The bacteria in the blood can quickly overcome a fish and antibiotic treatment is usually the quickest and most effective method for treatment. Most aquarium antibiotics are designed to dissolve in the tank water where they are absorbed by the fish, but because this is an internal bacterial infection this type is often ineffective. I recommend a medicated fish food like Jungle Anti-Bacteria Medicated Fish Food. I have also successfully treated septicemia by soaking pellets in a concentrated mixture of Mardel’s Maracyn & Maracyn-Two. I chop up the amount I would use to treat the tank, add a few drops of water and soak a few pellets for 10 minutes. I then feed the fish and add the pre-measured mixture to the tank as directed. This method isn’t fool proof, for one, there is no way to measure exactly how much of the antibiotic they are consuming. All I can say is it worked well for my betta. Loss of appetite can commonly afflict fish with an infection so it’s important to medicate as soon as possible while the fish is still eating. If the fish will no longer eat, then the standard method of adding the antibiotic to the tank should be employed. Because the average hobbyist has no way of determining the type of bacteria that has infected the fish, I suggest a combination of wide spectrum antibiotics that treat both gram-positive and gram-negative bacteria. Some effective medications include,
•Mardel’s Maracyn and Maracyn-Two in combination
•Aquarium Pharmaceuticals’ Triple Sulfa
•Kanamycin Sulfate is also very effective, especially for fish that won’t eat.

post #161 of 2954 (permalink) Old 03-25-2009, 10:30 PM
Pelvicachromis Lover!

Oh, no, this is so sad! I really hope it didn't spread to your existing fish in your tank. That's everyone's nightmare. Having a stable tank with fish you just adore, and having one new fish wipe it all out. I hope you got those other fish out of the tank fast enough to keep your other fish safe.

boltp777, do you know if the bacteria becomes water born as a method of transferring from one fish to another? If so, wouldn't a good UVS help prevent the spread of it to her fish in her main tank? I would think water changes should help, as well.

Vicki —Rena Filstar pimp #142 (four XP4s/three XP2s/one XP1) • Eheim pimp #301 (Pro II 2128) • Victor pimp #27 (VTS-253B-320)

• 90g - Journal Pelvicachromis taeniatus 'Moliwe' —— • 75g - Journal Pelvicachromis pulcher 'Lagos Red' Better Pics 8-24
• 29g - Journal Pelvicachromis pulcher 'unknown' —-- • 29g - Pelvicachromis taeniatus 'Moliwe'
post #162 of 2954 (permalink) Old 03-26-2009, 03:32 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

the thing is if she treats the tank i dunno if it will cause any harm to the plants i would just make sure the medication does not, but if the medication is safe for it yes she should treat the tank and continue to do water changes.

Quote:
Oh, no, this is so sad! I really hope it didn't spread to your existing fish in your tank. That's everyone's nightmare. Having a stable tank with fish you just adore, and having one new fish wipe it all out. I hope you got those other fish out of the tank fast enough to keep your other fish safe.

boltp777, do you know if the bacteria becomes water born as a method of transferring from one fish to another? If so, wouldn't a good UVS help prevent the spread of it to her fish in her main tank? I would think water changes should help, as well.

post #163 of 2954 (permalink) Old 03-28-2009, 04:53 AM Thread Starter
I ♥ BBA!

Quote:

Quote:
the thing is if she treats the tank i dunno if it will cause any harm to the plants i would just make sure the medication does not, but if the medication is safe for it yes she should treat the tank and continue to do water changes.
Thanks you two. I am using Furan 2 to treat her. It is supposed to be specifically for this disease. Here is a link on the medicine. Boltp777 - thanks for the diagnosis so I could get the proper medicine. http://www.americanaquariumproducts....furan2pro2.jpg

She is actually coming out of hiding, so I was able to get a few pictures (a couple were blurry, but I wanted to turn back off the lights quick to keep her stress down). One side is noticeably better than the other already. However, her fin is almost gone on her left side and her eye is still cloudy. On the third picture, she almost looks healthy. To give you an idea, her belly was more orange. The red tint is actually the disease. Poor girl. Good news is the male fish is doing much better and may actually have made a turn around. Luckily, no other fish are showing signs. I think I moved them in time. I am still keeping a close eye on my other fish though.

post #164 of 2954 (permalink) Old 03-28-2009, 07:06 AM
Pelvicachromis Lover!

Oh, the poor thing! I hope she makes it, but I hate seeing any fish suffering from a disease. Good to hear the news on the male and the rest of the fish in your tank. I'll keep sending good thoughts your way in hopes that the worst is over now.

Keep us updated on her progress.

post #165 of 2954 (permalink) Old 03-28-2009, 07:27 PM Thread Starter
I ♥ BBA!

Quote:
Oh, the poor thing! I hope she makes it, but I hate seeing any fish suffering from a disease. Good to hear the news on the male and the rest of the fish in your tank. I'll keep sending good thoughts your way in hopes that the worst is over now.

Keep us updated on her progress.
I know what you mean. I really hate seeing fish sick as well. I have debated on whether or not to treat her or cull her. I hate to not try and help a fish first, though. Especially my tropical goldfish. Guess what? She is eating today!!! Thanks for the good thoughts! Keep those up!

Sara

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode