Smhism's 20 long Updated 11/12/14 - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-13-2014, 03:35 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Smhism's 20 long Updated 11/12/14

Updated shot from 11/11/14:

------------

Started a new tank tonight! 20 gallon long tank with hob api filter, no CO2 injection... yet. DIY cfl lights.

Mopani driftwood.

Plants:

Cabomba
Ludwigia ovalis
Ludwigia palustrus
Java fern
Anubias nana
Amazon sword (just the root ball, seeing if it'll sprout back up)
Willow moss
Banana plant

I have a bunch of stuff on order. I know dwarf hairgrass and dwarf baby tears will be planted in this as a carpet. I'll decide on what else to plant if any when I get them in hand.

Last edited by smhism; 11-12-2014 at 01:01 PM. Reason: update
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-13-2014, 09:37 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Filter and heater that were supposed to be delivered tomorrow came in this morning! Trying to decide on a background, waiting on dhg and baby tears, and trying to decide on fish. I'm really liking the idea of a decent group of schooling fish. Any suggestions? My other half seems to be partial to guppies, but I might be able to be persuasive if I need to be!
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-14-2014, 06:42 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Just a quick update:

Not much has changed. The water has settled and cleared. Hopefully I'll have some DHG and some other plants delivered tomorrow so I can get the carpet started.

I still need to get a background also.

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-16-2014, 06:59 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I officially have plants waiting for me at home!
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-17-2014, 04:42 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Why didn't anyone warn me that planting dwarf baby tears and dwarf hair grass was so tedious? Also, I ordered wayyyyy too much hair grass. I overestimated and ordered 4 bunches, and only used a partial for the 20 gallon. But, i'm done with planting, and I hope they all do well and establish themselves.

I started adding flourish and metricide to the 20 to try to help promote growth. Already without them, the plants that were in there were showing progress. My ludwigia ovalis has some nice red leaves on top, and other stems that were transplanted had started growing roots.

I planted some dwarf baby tears on the lower "slope" of the scape, dhg on the upper portion. Removed the narrow leaf ludwigia, the ludwigia palustris, and rearranged some others, as well as adding ammania sp. bonsai, rotala sp green, and quite honestly, some others that I'm not 100% sure what they are. I ordered a plant package from someone on here, and told him to use his best judgment. He did an awesome job, just have no idea what half of them are!

post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-20-2014, 02:51 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I was starting to notice some brown dust algae, so I broke down and started populating the tank. I added three otocinclus, six red cherry shrimp, a lyretail guppy, and two female guppies (going to see what happens with the guppies).

post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-20-2014, 05:03 AM
Planted Tank Guru

what are your lights and co2 and all? I ask because something in my gut is telling me that some of your plants might not do well?

Nvm, I see that you aren't doing co2. dwarf baby tears is going to be very, very hard to grow without co2, just warning you now so that you won't be disappointed later.

What are your plans/ideas for the tank overall?

My 75 gallon High Tech Tank:http://tinyurl.com/n7zp47m
My 10 gallon High Tech Tank:http://tinyurl.com/qyf7s5o
My 5.5 gallon nano College Dorm Tank:http://tinyurl.com/p54uupj
Mom's Spec V:http://tinyurl.com/qjt3rw2
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-20-2014, 06:05 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by HybridHerp View Post
what are your lights and co2 and all? I ask because something in my gut is telling me that some of your plants might not do well?

Nvm, I see that you aren't doing co2. dwarf baby tears is going to be very, very hard to grow without co2, just warning you now so that you won't be disappointed later.

What are your plans/ideas for the tank overall?
No CO2 yet, planning on ordering an aquatek mini regulator next week to attach to a paintball tank. Just dosing w/ excel and flourish right now. Thanks for the heads up with the dwarf baby tears.

Right now, plans for the tank are just to have the cherry shrimp and guppies, and hopefully see what plants I can keep alive/get to flourish. This is my first real attempt at aquascaping and planting with somewhat of a plan for the layout, so mainly seeing how it turns out. I welcome any suggestions though! Always good to get other ideas and learn new things along the way.

Bump: Also, current lights are 59 watts of cfls. I have a new light on order that is approx. 55w LED 6500K. Got an email after it said it shipped that it was actually on back order, so hopefully it'll be in within a couple of weeks.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-29-2014, 06:29 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Paintball co2 regulator came in today, and it's up and running! The drop checker is showing a greenish yellow, but it's only going at maybe 1-2 bps. Letting it sit overnight and will see what it's looking like in the morning. Also picked up ANOTHER aquarium. That makes six. It's a 30 gallon, trying dirted w/ a black diamond sandblasting cap, and some rocks on order from [Ebay Link Removed] It's going to house a pleco that's getting increasingly larger by the day it seems, so not too much with the plants for now.

Day 1 of CO2:
FTS

Left side: Bacopa caroliniana, java fern, some sort of wort, and a couple of other plants I'm not sure of. Dwarf baby tears in foreground.

Right side: Dwarf hair grass, hydrocotle, banana plant, ludwigia ovalis, anubias nana, some sort of crypt? any ideas on this one?

Mystery plant: (photobucket is being annoying, so I apologize if its orientation is flipped around)

Just noticed that the banana plant is putting out quite a few roots, the anubias nanas are putting out new leaves, the mystery crypt? has a runner going out with a new leaf (was worried about this one because the original leaves all but disintegrated ), and the bacopa is looking much better also. Hope the co2 makes even more of a difference and the carpet plants start spreading!

Last edited by smhism; 10-29-2014 at 06:32 AM. Reason: plant changes
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-29-2014, 06:38 AM
Wannabe Guru

Depending on the Pelco many of them can get to 12" to 18" in length
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-29-2014, 06:46 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatherLandDescendant View Post
Depending on the Pelco many of them can get to 12" to 18" in length
Yeah, realized that, like so many other people, after I got him. Also discovered after attempting planting the tank he was in that he demolishes anything scape-wise in the tank. That's why he's going in the new 30 gallon tank that won't be heavily planted. Maybe some hairgrass that's in pots and a few stems of low/med light plants/moss on cholla wood. Mainly he'll have some fake plants to rummage around in.
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-30-2014, 02:07 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Woke up this afternoon (I'm currently on night shift at work) to find no co2 being injected into the tank. Seems something happened with my timer, but a quick push of a button, and it started back again. Hopefully it's not a sign of things to come. Also saw a fish fry of undetermined origin in the tank. I had two female and one male guppy in the tank for a couple of weeks, but neither of the females look pregnant. Other than that, there are three ottos, but i'm thinking they're all male? Only other posibility is some eggs hitched a ride with some cherry shrimp I got from ebay, as I also have four or five snails in the tank that mysteriously appeared from no where as well.
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-31-2014, 11:04 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I officially have pearling! For some reason that excites me, and makes me think I'm actually doing some things right. I also got a package of Alternanthera reineckii roseafolia in from a tpt member that I need to plant to give some more color to this (and a couple other) tank. More pics to come (assuming I don't have to go into work tonight).
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-04-2014, 04:17 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

CO2... who knew?

It's amazing what less than a week of co2 will do for plants!

Left:
Replaced some of the ammania sp. bonsai with a. reineckii. Java fern is a nice dark green and seems to be doing well.

Mid:
The rotala really looks amazing compared to what it did, even while being overshadowed by the penny wort. the HC in the back (directly under the light) appears so much nicer than the front. The banana plant is going crazy with roots, and I think it's sprouting another leaf! And that stargrass in the very front? It was pitiful when I placed it in this tank. I seriously was about to throw it out, and now I'm glad I didn't! The green cabomba also seems to finally be doing well.

Right:
The ludwigia has really seemed to have shot up in the past couple of days, if not overnight. I'm starting to question which species this is, as the leaves don't really look like ovalis (which is what it was sold as). Either way, it adds some nice color to this side of the tank. The anubias nana is showing some growth, but also some detriment. There are holes forming, as well as some dust/spot algae that the ottos/shrimp aren't taking care of. The dhg is showing some growth as well, as there are a few small runners in the front of the tank, and the crypt? in the back corner is showing some new growth as well.

Anubias nana issues:

Mystery plant:

FTS:
Today:

10/29:

Sorry for the blurry photos. I'm trying to talk myself/sig other that it's not outlandish to buy a dslr just for aquarium photos! But notice the difference in the HC in the back and front of the tank. It's been less than a week since I've had co2 running in this tank, and already I notice a huge difference. I'm pondering going ahead and ordering setups for at least two more tanks that are already planted. Just digging that hole deeper. lol
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-12-2014, 01:08 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

New pics! I got some new plants, removed others, etc etc.

FTS:

Right:

Had to trim back a couple of the leaves on the anubias. It had holes/dark green spots. There were new leaves coming in, so I went ahead and trimmed. The back anubias also has some green spots, but there's no new growth.

Left:

Banana plant is going crazy with its roots:

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode