Tank: Finnex 7.5g Low Iron Cube (12" x 12" x 12")
Filter: AquaClear 20 HOB w/ sponge pre-filter
Lighting: Finnex 12" Planted+ LED
Shrimp: 10x Cherry Shrimp, 4x Amano Shrimp
Anubais nana petite
Ludwigia sp. "Red"
Marimo Moss Ball
Needle Leaf Java Fern
October 10th, 2014
October 31st, 2014
November 10th, 2014
December 10th, 2014
It's been a month now since I started using dry ferts and Excel so I thought i'd post an update. The Rotala nanjenshan didn't work out, it melted and made a mess so I tossed it out. I planted Rotala rotundifolia trimmings in its place so I look forward to that area growing in and getting thick. The Marimo ball is greening up nicely and seems to have grown slightly. The biggest changes i've seen so far has been in the moss and the Needle Leaf Java Fern. Since I started EI dosing + Excel, the once-stagnant java fern has thrown out a ton of new leafs. Still working on the Ludwigia sp. "Red", not sure what it requires to get the rose petal red it displayed when it arrived. I also have a pregnant shrimp so yay for a growing colony.
January 12th, 2015
My final update with this current scape. There's a few things bothering me about this tank, so I plan to tear it down and start over. Growth is good, but I have come to the realization that nanos, HOB filters and stem plants don't go together. Once my stems become tall enough to hide the equipment, the outflow of the AquaClear catches the tops and bends them almost down to the substrate in a "n" shape (pics don't show it since I turn the flow all the way down for pictures). Marsilea minuta refuses to be healthy regardless of EI dosing, medium lighting and Excel. I've never been a fan of the Eco-Complete, and its purchase wasn't intentional (as odd as that sounds). I called my LFS when I set this tank up and asked if they could order a bag of Activ-Flora (fine grain sand substrate). My Dad, who was passing the LFS at the time, went in and paid for it. Without telling me or asking if it was alright, they ordered Eco-Complete so I decided what the heck, i'll use it. I really don't have any complaints as far as growing plants goes, it's just not aesthetically pleasing to me. I plan to replace it with Flourite Black Sand, and try a DHG carpet with just Excel. If that doesn't work, then a Stauragryne repens carpet as plan B.
I'll post pics once this project gets rolling.