The Planted Tank Forum banner

Xz's 3ft High tech + low tech nano experiments

203K views 390 replies 122 participants last post by  Greggz 
#1 · (Edited)
Current 2 tanks that I'm maintaining:

First old post from a couple years back:
Hello,

I have been reading the forum for a couple of years, and find the community really supportive and encouraging. Today I would like to share my 47g tank.

The tank has grown out quite a bit since being planted on 25th July, so I can provide a "fast forwarded" view for those impatient to see changes.

Pic in mid sep:

When the tank first started I played with rock arrangements in the tank:
Two large 150w industrial metal halides; a brute force method for sure, but despite the lousy spectrum, I found that they grew plants quite well. Eventually they would be switched out for BML XB leds.

About a week plus after being planted; many of the plant positions are not meant to be final. Some weeds like L. Repens are used as nutrient sponges while other stuff grew. The backbone bushes; Ludwigia arcuata at the back, Hemianthus glomeratus bushes in the mid and left have not been replanted since the start, only trimmed. Often I like to grow out plants, cut and replant the submersed portions, then throw away the entire original(poorly grown) portion from the shop.

on 14th Aug, roughly 3 weeks, still changing out hardscape to find more suitable rocks. Yellowish tinge because of metal halides:

19 Sep: Changed out rocks again. Algae on rocks because of high lighting used, spot dosed some with excel and lowered lighting. Lighting changed to BML Leds now; better colors are shown when only 1 fixture is turned on; 2 washes out colors. Also reds come out more strongly because of BMLs spectrum. Dosing of phosphates and Iron increased as tank stabilized.

Substrate lighting etc:
Lighting was 2 X 150w MH for first month
switched to BML XB dutch + BML XB 10k + CFL warm white 20w (for visual purposes as I find the BMLs still cool; warm white helps to render orange/yellow tinges). The 10k is raised 6 inches off the tank, and is on only 4 hours in mid day.

Substrate is dirt over iron rich clay + peat, capped by ANS planted tank substrate (a brand of aquatic substrate sold here).Dirt is there to save cost, disregarding costs, I would have probably chosen ADA's substrate. I prefer capping with planted tank substrate than gravel as I find it more adjustable.

Fertilization: Modified EI, water change 25% every 5 days.

Some Eheim filter, + generic CO2 system with inline diffuser.

At the same time I'm running this tiny 3 gal non-CO2 dirt tank. Tank has not been cleaned since the first day, I kept it this way to demonstrate that even if it takes higher lighting to grow carpet plants, it does not necessarily mean an automatic algae farm. For those having trouble growing carpets in dirt/non-CO2, sometimes increasing the light (carefully) may help. Having stem plants to provide plant competition against algae is advisable as well.

It has been run for about a month, and the DHG is filling in nicely. I find that dirt + reasonably good lighting in a shallow tank with some nutrient dosing grows DHG quite well.

On running higher lighting on low tech tanks; I find that if tank is kept stable, higher lighting helps growth and doesn't contribute to algae growth
The factors that I find contribute to tank stability (for a low tech tank);

- If not using CO2, then substrate impact is large; soil gives much better growth compared to commercial substrates. This may be due to soil decomposition giving rise to slightly elevated natural CO2 levels. There should be a balance of organic/inorganic composition of soil. Too high levels of organics might give ammonia spikes that trigger algae growth, too little and the dirt substrate is much less effective.

- Plant densely at the start and choose suitable plant species; some stuff really don't do as well in non-CO2 tanks. Some competitive species such as fast growing stem plants help a lot against algae. A portion of the tank should be dedicated to such species. Having 80% of floor space planted for example, is much more effective against algae than say 10% planted with hardscape making up the rest. Volume matters also, larger clumps of stem plants that stretch the height of the tank makes a bigger impact than say just using hairgrass.

- Shallower tanks seem to give better results; better gas exchange?

- Wait for at least 1-2 months for plant growth to settle in before adding any lifestock; plants would have filled in by then and bacteria action stabilized

- Find balance in the frequency of water changes (which are de-stabilizing if tap water has very different chemistry from tank water) and the need to remove organic waste through water changes. Running a very clean tank initially before the plants dig in prevents algae from becoming unmanageable.

- Consistent pruning to ensure plants are in constant growth space. Good pruning methods allow density without compromising that much on growth space

- Lower bio-load helps.

- Even though higher lighting is used, light should still (always) be adjustable. Adjusting lighting is one of the largest factors that influence growth/tank balance.

- Overall stability is important; should not changing growth variables rapidly which causes plants to re-program between fast and slow growth states

This pic is taken after freshly planted:

After few months of settling in

This pic is of an older tank with glosso carpet, with similar methods

Detail shots of large tank:

16/7/2015 - Collated most of the past pics in this post

47 gal rescaped in 2015

47 gal Hi-tech under Metal halides

15 gal Hi-tech with CFLs lamps

5 gal Hi-tech with Metal Halides

1 gal Low tech Nano rectangle Ikea vase under Metal Halides

2 gal Low tech Nano rectangle Ikea vase under CFL desklamp

1 gal Low tech round Ikea vase under CFL desklamp

3.5 gal Low tech under CFL desklamp

3.5 gal Low tech under CFL desklamp

5 gal sold at exhibition/grown under MH

Another tank (sep 2015) - still making changes to this one

15 gallon stone arc

with different lights

6 gallon seiryu stone scape

46 gallon lava rock scape

65gallon with seiryu stone

See less See more
#278 ·
For the guys following and wondering about the growth rates for the red Erios, this is the same batch as above today. Probably need to start selling them locally

Please stop posting these pictures!

Every time I see them it makes me want to throw my tank out the window.:grin2:

But seriously, the colors are remarkable.

Something rarely achieved but worth aspiring to.

Really just beautiful.

#282 ·
Coloration is very species dependent, so the ones that have colored submerged leaves tend to be costly. Only brownie ghost is strongly purple... but they're quite expensive, and unless you have connection to good primary dealers in Indonesia its hard to find. Other secondary dealers can call a Buce something it is not, just to sell it at a higher price. Using light that has strong red/blue naturally makes them more colorful due to reflection

Crypt flamingo; Slow growing, which is a plus sometimes...

#284 ·
That buce on riccardia is an amazing effect. I like how it looks like vines wrapping around a tree trunk.

I can only imagine how much attention has gone into every detail. Just like the brown crypt(?) at the base in front of the wood. That would never work without the little splash of green behind it.

And like how the "path" is partially obscured in front...

Im looking forward to seeing a full tank pic one of these days!

#285 ·
Stunning... have you considered speaking engagements or seminars on this?? I know quite a bit more than the average hobbyist, but you are a couple orders of magnitude above what I could ever hope to accomplish. I would book a flight, hotel, car and tickets to attend a seminar where you spoke not only of your collection of exotics, but also general care, equipment, dosing, photoperiods, maintenance... you could easily fill 2 to 3 days and leave people inspired and hungry for more.
I've got Buce all over my tanks and emersed racks... I even have an emersed cube where I keep and grow my favorites emersed.
I would love to know all about that erio... looks like Buce moss in there too? You have serious talent and people will pay to be educated by someone with your experience. If you worked something out with Tom Barr.... oh man... packed house... I bet it would sell out in hours. I'm suggesting this for purely selfish reasons. I would be there no matter what..

Bump:

Is that Riccia or Buce moss? Burr if you could get some of these species and learn their needs I would be first in line to pay...

#291 ·
If there is ANY possible way I will be there. Unfortunately I think the semester doesn't end until that week... but if I do well enough which I usually do I can exempt exams and that will be my reward! Marking it on the calender. Do you know if there is a site for it? Host hotel info and pricing? Tickets etc??

#293 ·
Hmm I'm not sure actually, never been there myself... AGA will make the announcement eventually I think, still a year to go.

Hi Dennis,

I would like to ask you about your lamp. On 15 page this of this thread is specification your LED Lamp. Did I understand correctly - your lamp no have white led? If yes, I have one more question:
I have DIY LED lamp 108WAT. In my lamp is 24 x 3W *********** Led Epistar and 6 x 3W blue 445-450nm and 6 x 3W red 660nm. If I change white led on red, green and blue (18 x 3W red, 8 x 3W blue and 10 x 3W green) it's good? I can't find 3W epistar Far Red led....

Sorry, now I look again on specification your LED Lamp, first time I think - you have only red, blue and green led. In your light is sequence: 5000K, 3000K, 625nm, 6500K, 3000K, 625nm, 5000K, 470nm, 625nm, 5000K, 3000K, 6500K, 625nm, 3000K, 5000K
sorry again

Thank you for your help in advance.
Arcady

Eh, the 5000k and 6500k LEDs are white.

Added some pencil fish

Closeups of 2 types of macrandra that I'm growing in the farm tank

#292 · (Edited)
Help me with my DIY LED Lamp

Hi Dennis,

I would like to ask you about your lamp. On 15 page this of this thread is specification your LED Lamp. Did I understand correctly - your lamp no have white led? If yes, I have one more question:
I have DIY LED lamp 108WAT. In my lamp is 24 x 3W *********** Led Epistar and 6 x 3W blue 445-450nm and 6 x 3W red 660nm. If I change white led on red, green and blue (18 x 3W red, 8 x 3W blue and 10 x 3W green) it's good? I can't find 3W epistar Far Red led....

Sorry, now I look again on specification your LED Lamp, first time I think - you have only red, blue and green led. In your light is sequence: 5000K, 3000K, 625nm, 6500K, 3000K, 625nm, 5000K, 470nm, 625nm, 5000K, 3000K, 6500K, 625nm, 3000K, 5000K

sorry again

Thank you for your help in advance.
Arcady

#295 ·
Hi Dennis,
again please confirm me it's good sequence (in attached thumbnails) in your lamp? I'm not sure I understand the specification of your lamp.

arkkab
The ratios are correct

I think it can be improved; switch out one white for one more red, and 2 whites for 2 blues instead... I did not build the lamp myself, I only chose the spectrum, my electrical technical knowledge is actually limited.

#297 ·
catching up on some older pics (and some new ones)

Amano's tank in end 2017

I visited ADA gallery and noted some observations from how the tanks are run; you guys can read about it in the link if you have not done so previously: This is also the newsletter issue 1 I wrote for the 2hr Aquarist site.
https://www.advancedplantedtank.com/newsletter_1ozn.html

Picture with my home tanks this year

Hygro pinnatifida closeups

#298 ·
WOW! That is some red hygrophila pinnatifida. I had no idea it could even get that red! Mine is mostly green.

Thanks for sharing the update and the pictures, always enjoy them.

Also, reading your first newsletter and really enjoying it. The ada overview if quite informative, I appreciate those details! For my 29 gallon tank I am thinking of trying a leaner method to see what I can learn.

#299 ·
missed out soome; couldn't use the edit function for some reason

Brownie ghost flowering. Rather rare though I've been keeping them for quite long. This variant/specie also seem more picky about growth parameters than other Buceps

Pic of half of the farm tank

#301 ·
Good article Dennis, very interesting to see how those tanks are run.

I like the emphasis on good cleaning and pruning and maintenance - such critical aspects of keeping a nice planted tank that are often ignored and certainly undervalued.

Yes, I think for folks still facing algae issues, its quite an important factor. Vin kutty managed to visit me and my tanks ! And we talked about you hee hee.

Bump:
Good article Dennis, very interesting to see how those tanks are run.

I like the emphasis on good cleaning and pruning and maintenance - such critical aspects of keeping a nice planted tank that are often ignored and certainly undervalued.

Yes, I think its important, especially for folks facing algae issues. On side note, Vin kutty managed to pay me a visit at my place, and we talked about you hee hee.

#306 ·
Update on main display tank. Main tree tends to be very shadowed, so I added an additional lamp before taking photo

Dennis I so much enjoy seeing your tanks.

Something that always occurs to me.

The most impressive thing about your tanks is not really even the growing of plants, it's the artistic vision and presentation. And don't get me wrong, the growing plants part is fantastic.

But when I think of trying to create something like that, it's like wishing to be able to paint, or to play guitar beautifully........it's not learned and you either have it or you don't.

And you sir have it. Well done as always.

#307 ·
Thanks Greggz~ The locals/asians didn't favor the blue background though, I thought it made the scape more interesting...

For guys still new to scaping ( I still consider myself somewhat new actually, haven't done as much technical hardscape work as some of the more experienced folks), easiest way to learn is by copying a couple of other people's scapes that you like - after you learn the techniques, then its easy to apply to your own design.

Preparing for vid on Rotala macrandra... so grew out a few different varieties of that

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.