31 July 2014
Hi everyone! I'm having a really good day!
I've just finished a 4 hour rescape and tidy up of the tank and thought I'd update this journal. I think this might be the first entry that I've done on the day it actually happened
I've also realised that the max image size is 250KB, not 75KB so I've (hopefully) got better pictures now.
First things first... I looked up Rhizomes last night after cjstl's comment and decided I should tie the anubias to a piece of driftwood. This obviously meant that I had to add the driftwood to the tank, which caused a cascade of things to be done!
So, first things first... I dug out the anubias, which have grown a 2 new leaves each! I didn't expect them to grow this fast
Then I tied them to the piece of driftwood.
I decided to use cotton string instead of fishing line because the roots might attach to it. If this happens then when the anubias attaches to the driftwood, I can cut off the string and the bit attached to the roots can be left on and it will decay or get covered in algae.
Overall, I'm very happy with this... except for the bright white string! It's currently in the tank, resting against the bulky piece of driftwood. It sinks, but it tries so turn upside-down so this long piece is holding it in place
The next thing on the list was to get rid of the spiral val because it turned clear and the surface was "cracked". When I went to pick it up it felt pretty slimy so I'm guessing it wasn't too healthy
It's a shame but in retrospect this tank is pretty densely packed! Also the marimo moss ball has a new home!
Safe to say, this probably doesn't need it's own tank journal
Ive also decided to split up the eleocharis parvula and lilaeopsis brasiliensis into smaller pieces so that it covers more space. One tuft covering about a square inch goes a long way!
And in to the tank it goes!
It's a bit patchy but I want it to spread out and cover the bottom. And for some reason the camera picks up on the reflection a lot! I'm sat looking at it now and I can barely see any reflections
Now for the rescape... I originally had the limnophila sessiliflora in the center at the back but the HOB poured on to the top of it and dragged it down/forward. This meant that this plant alone was taking over a third of the tank's base. It's now sat at the back right corner with much less flow and its got some good growth! A full set of leaves and a new set about to open... in just one week:
The other limnophila sessiliflora is in the opposite corner, with the same amount of growth, but its thinner (less bushy):
The lilaeopsis brasiliensis, before being split up, had grown several new shoots too:
I've hoovered up all the brown stuff too btw
Is it brown algae or the sponge stuff from the plant pots they came in? An ID would be appreciated
Anyway... there's the hygrophila siamensis 53b with new leaves:
Not bad to say I haven't used CO2 yet! I thought this would take months before any new growth appeared! I've also cleaned the prefilter sponge too... crikey that thing picks up a lot of debris!
And finally, to update you on how the cycle is going. I haven't done a WC but I have added a couple of drops (0.5ppm) of ammonia to keep the bacteria alive. Yesterday night the nitrates were at ~2ppm and today at noon (before the rescape) were at 40ppm
I'm assuming that the NO2>NO3 cycle is kicking in but that seems like a REALLY huge jump for 12 hours! Although, I do have a large amount of NO2 in there!
I don't have any pictures of the new setup but I will take some tonight so that I don't get reflections and show you in tomorrow's entry.
As always, thanks for reading!