OCTOBER 19

OCTOBER 22

OCTOBER 26

NOVEMBER 1

NOVEMBER 2

NOVEMBER 18

DECEMBER 19, 2008

---------------------------

So a friend of mine sends me this link yesterday showing me a 20 gallon long for only $10 on CraigsList. So of course I can't pass up the great deal and call the guy.
It's in great condition, but now that I have it I have no idea what to do first.

As I only have about 25 dollars left in my name :eek5: I kinda want to do something nice but extreamly cheap :frown: (having no job, and having to pay for gas money is quite the experience)

I know that later on I will need to probably upgrade what I get right now; but was wondering if anyone had any suggestions?

I could probably take some plants from my 10 gallon, but even that is slim pickin's.

Also substrate is a question. I know that Flourite is cheap-ish, but my LFS doesn't order it. I could go with the kitty litter way, but not sure yet.

Anyone got advice? >.<
Thank you.

See less See more
#396 ·
Either you have a tricky camera lens (if so, I want one) or the scale of this tank is just right. It looks six feet long in your last two photos. I swear I would believe this was 100 gallons, if I didn't know better.

Maybe you just have a special breed of microscopic tetras that are making this thing look so big.

I swear I almost bought a 20L today at petsmart just because of this tank.

Keep up the good work. What ferts are you using or did I miss that somewhere?

#397 ·
Either you have a tricky camera lens (if so, I want one) or the scale of this tank is just right. It looks six feet long in your last two photos. I swear I would believe this was 100 gallons, if I didn't know better.

Maybe you just have a special breed of microscopic tetras that are making this thing look so big.
Wow I just realized this:hihi:

Great tank! Love the Blyxa:proud:

#400 ·
FTS just for kicks.

HM is growing nicely. I really need to go in and do a trim (on everything). I'm really just no sure how to go about it. I want to be able to shape it so it's... roundish? I have no idea how to explain it. Also the HC seems to be growing up. It's probably normal right? Yeah.

Well there it is. I'm hoping the next time I update there might be a slight change with the HC? Haha, it's ridiculous how impatient I am. :wink:

#411 ·
Mizu-chan, I was away from your journal for a bit, and just came back to see it and three words, girl. Oh. My. God!
It's off the hook, kid!
The health of the plants alone is staggering, but the fact that the scape kicks butt too, is...wow.
It's one of the tanks where if I had it in my house, I wouldn't change a thing.

Except I'd have hella shrimp in there.
No fish.
Just hella shrimp.

#415 ·
I'm pretty sure I've had some growth. Right? Maybe I just look at it too damn much. :icon_roll

And a FTS that shows a snippet of my messy messy room. (the tissue on the right side holds about 30+ dead snails. I take them out and leave them there. I'm horrible!)

#419 ·
Thanks Chris! :hihi:

Wow mizu, that looks gorgeous! It looks like a GIGANTIC tank, impressively 'scaped!
lol, that;s what everyone is saying, but I guess since I see it ever day it actually seems kind of small. lol.

That looks great :) Why don't you top 'er off?
Yeah, needs a bit more water. Was going to do a trim but didn't get around to it. More water it is. lol.

#422 ·
Hahaha yeah, my 30 seemed huge compared to my 5.5 and my 20H when i got it, now it seems pretty normal! but yours definitely has that feel of a much larger tank, and then on seeing the guitar next to it I thought "wow! that really IS a 20!" :hihi:

I saw green neons at one of my LFSs the other say, they're so pretty! Alas, i have nowhere to put them!

#424 ·
A mini update for ya'll. :)

So basically the HC is growing really well. Also my tank has seriously become a jungle. I did a small trim on Wednesday(?) and I look at it now...
Also I was looking around the tank and I found Micro Sword AND Glosso growing... Oh well. Weird, but I don't mind! Also I had bought some Star Grass from fishman forever ago. I look at the front of the tank and realize that it actually grew. It was totally black and transparent a few months ago.

There ya go! Hope everyone is enjoying their weekend. I'm not. ):

#445 ·
A mini update for ya'll. :)

So basically the HC is growing really well. Also my tank has seriously become a jungle. I did a small trim on Wednesday(?) and I look at it now...
Also I was looking around the tank and I found Micro Sword AND Glosso growing... Oh well. Weird, but I don't mind! Also I had bought some Star Grass from fishman forever ago. I look at the front of the tank and realize that it actually grew. It was totally black and transparent a few months ago.

There ya go! Hope everyone is enjoying their weekend. I'm not. ):

i love the bushy jungle look, you should keep it like that! hey whats those tiny stem like plant on the bottom left right above the hc?

#427 ·
Thank you~
I guess we're both excited to see each others carpets fill in. lol. We did plant it around the same time.. I think?
But yeah I should go and do a trim.. it's just that ever time I snip a stem I feel horrible. :redface:

The tank really does look like it is at least 75 gallons :eek:
Haha, if only. I wish it was a 75. I would love to see something that big fit in my room. lol.

#429 ·
That looks CRAZY AWESOME. And this is? what? Low light, low tech, low money? Howly Cow it looks great.

Keep it up.
Jonathan
Thanks you! Yeah it started out low tech, but I upgraded my lighting and filter. But I have to say.. it's low budget. I seem to have a habit of finding awesome deals. :hihi: I still am doing DIY CO2, so I haven't gone pressurized.

#430 ·
wow
i just read your entire thread
it was awesome!!!!!

yeah, i started just like you, buying one thing at a time and trying to find really good deals. your tank looks awesome, i really wana get like 60 neons and shove them in my 29g tank, i love when they school like in your pics.
as for the snails, my friend just bought some assasin snail and he said that they took care of all the pond snails and mts. it'd be pretty cool.

oh and hows senior year going? have you had senior lunch yet?ughh, good luck in may, ap month is crazy!!

#435 ·
Thanks! Yeah it's a process of gathering up the million things you need for a planted tank. :icon_roll But it's worth it! Right? lol..
The neons are great. I love them to death. As for senior year.. ugh. whoever said it was easy is crazy. I'm going to have like 6 AP tests? I'm really not looking forward to it.

If only i could find those kinds of deals here :(
That's why you make friends! ;)

Love your tank! Anytime you wanna empty the Jungle...I'm here.
Haha thank you. Anytime you need something I'm here! Seriously, you see something you **** in here PM me and I'll tell you when I'm trimming. :D I'll send you it for a ridiculous price too! :thumbsup:

So how many species of stems is that bunched together again?
I kinda want to do something like that but with my tall tank xD
Uhh.. Maybe like 4? lol. I have no idea. It really is just a jungle in there.

Just going back and forth with conversation, had to come back to this. Amazing work. At first it looks fine but where you are at now is just soooo much better, i love the progression pics on the first page, truely inspiring.
Thank you so much! Yeah it's funny to look back and see how much it's changed. Oh man did I learn a lot. :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.