JPrice904's 55 Gallon Planted Tank - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-23-2014, 05:48 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

JPrice904's 55 Gallon Planted Tank

Reserving this as I want to watch the progress of my tank. This will be a low light / low tech tank with no CO2.

Currently it's set up as follows:

Equipment:
Aqueon 300W submersible heater
Tetra Whisper EX70
AquaClear 70
Aqueon 48" T5NO dual tube fixture

Plants: (08/02/14)

Myriophyllum Mattogrossense
Dwarf Sagittarius
Amazon sword compacta

Fish:
6 Turquoise Rainbowfish
10 Glow Light Neon Tetra
8 Peppered Cory (1 is a baby..we lost it in the tank as a tadpole but it has survived somehow)
4 Fancy Guppies
1 Albino Bristlenose Pleco
1 Mystery Snail

Here is an original picture of before my lighting was put on and the one after is with the new light fixture.

Before

After

I will be replacing the color spectrum bulb in the fixture with another 6700k bulb. I have ordered the EI pack and 2 500ML containers from GLA. I plan to follow Zorfax's dosing advice from the fertilizer part of the forum Dry dosing and Nutrient Solution Recipes. I'm also waiting on a piece of driftwood I purchased from ebay to get here.

55 Gallon Freshwater Aquarium
36 Gallon Bow Front / Dirted

Last edited by JPrice904; 08-05-2014 at 01:47 AM. Reason: Added plants
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-25-2014, 12:10 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Well no one local has any Moss for sell and buying small quantities on the Internet comes with a high shipping price. However I did call petco and it looks like they can order Java and Peacock Moss so hopefully that will be in soon. Also Petsmart had some good looking S. Repens in so I'll pick those up too. My Driftwood should get here tomorrow or Saturday. Then I'll start planting.

post #3 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-25-2014, 10:36 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Driftwood came in today.. have to let it soak or weight it down with rocks.. this joker, even at 5lbs, floats. Going to try to leech the tannins (if any) out of it with a large pot on the stove.

post #4 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-31-2014, 05:07 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Ok have boiled the wood and placed it in the tank but it seems to want to float still.I've had rocks holding it down for almost a week now. Ordered some dwarf sag from a member here and will be planting that as soon as I get it. I'm fairly partial in keeping the resin house in the tank it seems like my cories, pleco, and snail all like it. I will probably get rid of the local river rock that's in it now.

Never really realized how little room a 55 gallon tank has width wise. Wish I had a 75G tank.

post #5 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-03-2014, 05:56 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Got some dwarf sag and myriophyllum mattogrossense in the mail on Saturday. I put them in the tank today after doing a 50% water change. I also added Flourish root tabs and the macros to the tank for the first time. We shall see how it goes! I would like to pick up some jungle val and maybe an amazon sword too.

Last edited by JPrice904; 08-03-2014 at 05:57 PM. Reason: Added photos
post #6 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-05-2014, 08:55 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Added a Amazon Sword Compacta (from petsmart) in the tank. I took the glass tops off the tank and this morning the mystery snail was on the carpet. Oops! Put him back in and went to work so I guess he is alright.

post #7 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-14-2014, 12:26 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Well the Myriophyllum Mattogrossense doesn't look so hot right now. It has bright green offshoots coming out but the majority of the leaves are turning into a brown color. As this is my first planted tank I'm not sure if this is normal because the plant is getting used to the conditions or not.

Here is a picture of my Myrio in it's current condition:

My dwarf sag is looking alright I haven't had real bad melting problems I've only had to pull a few leaves. My peppered corys keep up rooting some of the plants while they sift through the sand. I have to put maybe 2 or 3 back in the sand once everyday or every other day. I'm hoping they all take root soon.

I have some Rotala Indica coming in by Friday so i hope to plant those in a corner. Possibly the corner with the driftwood in it. I think I'll move all the Myrio to the left corner behind the Cory house.

Last edited by JPrice904; 08-14-2014 at 01:14 PM. Reason: pictures
post #8 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-21-2014, 01:44 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

The Rotala has been planted but boy are they hard to keep down. Since planting there have been at least two a day floating at the top that I have to keep replanting. Today was the first day there were none at the top. I have purchased some API CO2 Booster from Petsmart in order to maybe help out the progress of the plants. Perhaps I'm being a bit to impatient but I'd like to see some good growth and I'm hoping this will help. If this appears to help I will probably by some Metricide 14 and continue to dose daily. I don't really have the funds to do a pressurized co2 system right now.

post #9 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-21-2014, 05:30 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPrice904 View Post
Well no one local has any Moss for sell and buying small quantities on the Internet comes with a high shipping price. However I did call petco and it looks like they can order Java and Peacock Moss so hopefully that will be in soon. Also Petsmart had some good looking S. Repens in so I'll pick those up too. My Driftwood should get here tomorrow or Saturday. Then I'll start planting.

where in VA are you? I have tons of Christmas moss.

Bump: what sand is that? I have been looking for white/cream color sand.
post #10 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-21-2014, 08:26 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sajeev View Post
where in VA are you? I have tons of Christmas moss.

Bump: what sand is that? I have been looking for white/cream color sand.
I live in Roanoke VA. That sand was actually picked up from Home Depot. It's Pool Filter Sand. Fairly cheap and really soft. Didn't take much washing to get it to settle either.

post #11 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-21-2014, 09:23 PM
Algae Grower

Sand

That's awesome. I will get some today. The plants like this sand ? Good growth ?
post #12 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-22-2014, 03:16 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

The plants are doing okay in the sand. I'm supplementing with some root tabs right now and I'm seeing new growth. It's very hard to be patient but I'm trying! My Rotala finally seems to have taken root and it's been a day or so without any floating Rotala.

I've read that the dwarf sag does better in sand instead of gravel but we will see. I think it's a bit to early to tell but most of those plants seem to have taken root in the sand too.

This tank had gravel in it and I switched out to the sand a year or so ago. I was worried about my peppered cory's barbs so I decided to switch it out to sand so it's easier for them to sift around in. I have a feeling they have caused some uproots while doing so. Sometimes there heads are almost buried to their eyes.. it's funny.

Edit: This is my first planted tank so I'm sure I'll experience a lot of trial and error but so far so good. Some melting of the dwarf sag but that has slowed.

Last edited by JPrice904; 08-22-2014 at 03:20 PM. Reason: .
post #13 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-22-2014, 03:27 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PM me if you're still looking for an amazon sword or two. I have a few plantlets and I'm near the VA boarder in NC...not sure where you are in VA

John 14:6
post #14 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-22-2014, 05:52 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfynyson View Post
PM me if you're still looking for an amazon sword or two. I have a few plantlets and I'm near the VA boarder in NC...not sure where you are in VA
Hi jfynyson I'm in Roanoke so kind of south west VA. I ended up buying an amazon compacta at petsmart. The regular amazon swords they had did not look well when I saw them. I was hoping the compacta would grow large because of the scientific name, Echinodorus bleheri.

Last edited by JPrice904; 08-22-2014 at 06:15 PM. Reason: spellin'
post #15 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-22-2014, 07:11 PM
Planted Tank Guru

I remember seeing that driftwood on eBay when I was looking for some for my pleco last year (I bought a different piece from the same seller). Is yours still buoyant and need weighed down? Mine's a red cedar, it's forever buoyant so it's been screwed to a river rock.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode