Got the uv sterilizer bulb changed out! I'm actually glad I did, but not because of the bulb. I found that the uv sterilizer was full of dead baby MTS snails! I don't normally open up the uv sterilizer, and I hadn't thought that I'd need to clean it out after I had killed all the snails. Fortunately, they were all dead (which is why I ran bleach through the entire system before I started over). It was a strong reminder of why I went to such great lengths to get rid of those snails.
Now I'm just waiting to see if the connections are solid. One connection has given me fits with a very slow leak. I have never liked the way the uv sterilizer hose bibs are made. They are notorious for leaking. One connection just would not stop leaking so I cut off the old hose end to ensure a fresh connection. That seemed to help, but it still had a tiny leak. Loosening the hose clamp seemed to help. I think I had it too tight. Last I checked, it still had the tiniest leak, but I'm hoping it's just residual water from before.
Once I can get the connections solid, then I will start cleaning out the canisters. After that, I'll do another water change with a thorough vacuuming of the crud on the substrate (not plunging, but just getting what's sitting on top), then I should be done.
Vicki —Rena Filstar pimp #142 (four XP4s/three XP2s/one XP1) • Eheim pimp #301 (Pro II 2128) • Victor pimp #27 (VTS-253B-320)
• 90g - Journal
Pelvicachromis taeniatus 'Moliwe' ——
• 75g - Journal
Pelvicachromis pulcher 'Lagos Red' Better Pics 8-24
• 29g - Journal
Pelvicachromis pulcher 'unknown' —--
• 29g - Pelvicachromis taeniatus 'Moliwe'
• 5g - RCS colony ——————————————————
• 2.5g - Journal