Ok everyone, finally got around to getting some true Wabi Kusa balls made!
I did a pseudo progress with pictures...but once your hands get messy it's hard to keep taking photos, haha.
Before we start, I will update on the last emmersed, terrarium-like setup I did, it's grown in well but I just don't like the look... I used about half the plants here to put into the wabis and I'll figure out what to do with the rest... Anyway, here are the pictures of that before I tore it apart.
Anyway, now onto the real wabis!
For the balls I used some MGOP as a base, added some dry peat moss for more filler, added a little bit of sphagnum moss as filler, and finally some extra aquasoil.
Added water until it "squishes" when squeezed and retains its shape nicely.
I made 3 total, of different sizes, and initially wrapped them in sphagnum moss with tons of fishing line...
...But decided to strip that off and just use a huge hunk of java moss I had from when I tore down and revamped my 40 gallon. I know now why people don't really like java moss for driftwood applications...it's so stringy...but grown terrestrially, I think it looks fine.
And then I went to town stuffing stems in those bad boys!
Got various ludwigia, some limnophila, hygrophila, hydrocotyle, HC, s repens, some myrio (that I hope survives), and probably some more that I'm forgetting. Layed down some gravel in a glass cube and BAM!
I'll be moving them to separate containers, but I lost steam last night so I'll take care of that tonight. Hoping to put them in three different containers and different accent substrates.
Apologies for the delay in posting pictures, I've been quite busy as of late...
Thanks as always for looking and comments are welcome!