The Planted Tank Forum banner

Brian's ADA 60F + Ecoxotic E-Series (New Light!)

9K views 31 replies 14 participants last post by  zico_aqua 
#1 · (Edited)
What's up TPT!!!

So I got excited with the release of the new Ecoxotic E-Series (here) and was able to snatch one up for my 60F. I was pretty pleased with running dual Current Sat+, I thought this would be an awesome upgrade.

Long story, but I went out of town for a month and came home to a pretty nasty 60F. Algae everywhere and most of my plants died. I managed to kill off most of the algae and save some plants. This tank actually stayed up as a grow-out tank (another long story), but this was the old thread when it looked its best....

----HERE-----

But that was then and this is now... maybe by the end of the year, we'll rescape this tank and get it looking pristine again. For now though, I kind of slapped a quick scape together with what extra substrate, stones, and plants I had laying around. Mainly for the purpose to "test" the new light and try out its growing capabilities suspended fairly high off the tank.

So here are some quick details:

Aquarium: ADA 60-F (24"x12"x7" = 8.6g)
Lighting: 18" Ecoxotic E-Series (24W: 10 white + 4 RGB chips)
Filter: AC20 HOB (temporary)
CO2: Aquatek mini paintball regulator w/ NAG-aqua music note diffuser​

So for now, here's the FTS. I'll update this post with the latest FTS as time and growh progresses.

See less See more
#8 ·
Hey CB, thanks for the sub. If the E-Series is within budget, I'd definitely go with it. It's dimmable so you can pretty much have any light level you need depending on your plants. Plus the integrated ramp timer is cool! But don't get be wrong, the Sat+ is still a good option. You can start with one and if you need more light you can what's double up. :)

#11 ·
I just took a guess really. I did raise it from when I was using a Ray 2. I also dimmed my daylight setting on the W channel to 75% starting from the Orange preset. Also, my photoperiod is 7 hours. I'm just going to have to observe and dial in my light intensity, duration, and CO2 rate. But the advantage of using the E-Series is that you can dim the light. So even so you don't get the distance quite right, you can throttle the light down. I just need to find that sweet spot... which will take some time.

#17 ·
Looking very nice Brian! It looks very bright for such a small compact fixture, I like the slim profile. For the super-high tech folks out there, I'm sure a few of these babies on a tank will get you in the category of Metal Halide without the bulk and power consumption.

Drools....

#18 ·
looks good. Just curious though....how much processing was done to those pictures? I'd love to see some basic, non-worked pics if there has been any.

#20 ·
almost no processing other than the internal jpeg engine inside the nx300. I just cropped some, resized and adjusted contrast a bit in post processing. I usually shoot RAW now but didn't feel the need to pull out any more detail. It's all in the glass.. It's a 30mm f/2 shot wide open for shallow DOF.

#26 ·
Looks great, Brian! I agree that the seiryu is a nice change although that's not at all a knock on your beautiful ohko scapes. Just out of curiosity is the ramp timer pretty easy to use straight out of the box? Thinking of getting an Ecoxotic now too for a 60p I'll be setting up soon.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.