Jared's Underwater Jungle - Page 5 - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #61 of 94 (permalink) Old 09-04-2010, 01:14 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

My Starougyne repens 049 Tropica came yesterday!!! I pulled out all the anubias and microsword/ trimmed and replanted. I had to plant ~50 microswords within a 6" x 3" area... never want to do that again! I trimmed back the ozelot sword even further, since its new growth has been staying 4-5 inches.. if it doesn't stay small (see post 36 for the size I'm aiming at, love the color of the leaves when its that small), I'll probably get rid of it and put my anubias on a rock as a centerpiece instead. I'll post pictures tonight when the junk has settled.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 94 (permalink) Old 09-04-2010, 07:35 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

That's pretty cool man. I always found the flowering underwater intriguing.

I am kicking myself for chopping up my amazon sword stem. I have 7 plants from the original 2 now, but none have produced a stem since.
post #63 of 94 (permalink) Old 09-04-2010, 10:34 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I've put new bulbs in, put new, and more tinfoil as a reflector, cleaned the outside of the glass, and completely cleaned the glass canopy in hopes of giving my new plants a good headstart.

Hood:

FTS:

Anubias, the roots were 8" when I pulled them up! split them up as the center 2" had no leaves, opposite ends were growing.

Starougyne repens 049 Tropica... hopefully the spacing is right!

L. brasiliensis this was a PITA to plant ~50, 3-5 leaf rhizome in a small space! I had a whole lot more than imagined. It's never gotten over 1" in my tank, hopefully it will fill in.

What do you think of the layout? I'm waiting a month or two to see if the sword will put out smaller leaves, if not I'm probably going to find some rock or wood and have the anubias as the centerpiece.
post #64 of 94 (permalink) Old 09-05-2010, 04:57 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by frogmanjared View Post
[COLOR=Green][FONT=Comic Sans MS]I've put new bulbs in, put new, and more tinfoil as a reflector, cleaned the outside of the glass, and completely cleaned the glass canopy in hopes of giving my new plants a good headstart.
The layout looks good. I just read through the whole thread and you really piqued my interest when you mentioned that your plants do better when you use foil as a reflector. I've read that foil is actually a light diffuser and will therefore reduce the intensity your lighting.

Once my tanks get going again, hopefully I can RAOK you some small foreground/midground plants. Sucks being on a budget when you're into this hobby!!!
post #65 of 94 (permalink) Old 09-05-2010, 05:03 PM
F22
Planted Tank Guru

that is one of the nicest 10g tanks i have seen in a long time, nice work.
post #66 of 94 (permalink) Old 09-05-2010, 10:13 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by snausage View Post
The layout looks good. I just read through the whole thread and you really piqued my interest when you mentioned that your plants do better when you use foil as a reflector. I've read that foil is actually a light diffuser and will therefore reduce the intensity your lighting.
There is a thread that has par readings from different reflective materials... foil is the best cheap way to increase reflectivity.

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/li...fficiency.html
post #67 of 94 (permalink) Old 09-05-2010, 10:14 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by F22 View Post
that is one of the nicest 10g tanks i have seen in a long time, nice work.
Thanks! I can't wait until it fills in and I can get a picture with all the background plants at the same height.
post #68 of 94 (permalink) Old 09-20-2010, 08:44 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Angry How stupid can I get!?!

Wow.. I really messed up with my fert regime... though the batch I made up lasted a bit longer than 2 weeks... redid the math, and I'm only putting 1/2 the amount needed!!! At least I caught it before too long. My S. repens 049 tropica looks doesn't look the healthiest, but it is rooting and branching out... I attribute it's lack-luster look to my dosing mistake... we'll see if the new with make a big difference!
post #69 of 94 (permalink) Old 09-26-2010, 03:08 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I have really noticed a difference in just one week now that I've got my ferts right! The anarchis is growing >1in a day, and all the new growth from all the plants looks very healthy. The crypt leaves look curly again, and the sword looks amazing! It looks like a jungle now, but I'll try and get a FTS tonight to show.
post #70 of 94 (permalink) Old 09-26-2010, 03:29 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Hi frogmanjared,

In your 9/4 post in this thread, are those Anubias with the rhizomes buried in the gravel substrate? Glad to hear your tank is responding to the fert correction.

Roy
75 Gallon, 2X55W AH Supply CF 8800K, 1XMarineland Doublebright, 2X Marineland 350 Magnum; 45 Gallon Tall, 96Watt AH Supply CF 6700K; 30 Gallon Long; Fluval F&P 2.0 36"/46W; 20 Gallon, 1X26W AH Supply LED kit; all with Press. CO2; (Calcined) Montmorillonite Clay
Greater Seattle Aquarium Society (GSAS)

post #71 of 94 (permalink) Old 09-27-2010, 08:23 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seattle_Aquarist View Post
Hi frogmanjared,

In your 9/4 post in this thread, are those Anubias with the rhizomes buried in the gravel substrate? Glad to hear your tank is responding to the fert correction.
Thanks, and the rhizomes aren't buried, they have pretty well developed roots, some over 4 inches, so they anchor them down in the substrate well.
post #72 of 94 (permalink) Old 09-27-2010, 08:37 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I was comparing the picture taken today (sorry, I hadn't cleaned the glass yet, didn't want to make the water cloudy, will post a pic tonight if its cleared up from the waterchange/trim) from when I first got the S. repens 049... and wow! I'm glad I decided to get them and rescape the way I did! I'll have to keep the sword trimmed back to the size it currently is, but I love the look of it. It's starting to send out another flower stalk, so I'll have to get rid of the 3 babies asap (2 have good root systems, 1 just started growing). I think the microsword is even starting to grow a bit ! Now If I can just get the Rotala to grow upright I'll be extremely happy. I've trimmed it back and will continue to trim to form nice bushes in front of the E. densa. Please post comments/suggestions, I'd really like feedback on the current layout!

post #73 of 94 (permalink) Old 09-28-2010, 02:15 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Still getting a hold of the trimming thing... cut a few pieces of anarchis a little shorter than I should have, the left corner!

post #74 of 94 (permalink) Old 10-04-2010, 10:29 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Angry Worst Day!

So, I decided to take the sword out and trim the roots... BAD IDEA! I started to slowly pull it up, and notice plants on the edges of the tank moving, the entire gravel bed was moving like a sheet because of the root mass! At that point, it was a lost cause, so I yanked it out. In doing so, I saw one of my fish against the glass UNDER the gravel, so I had to dig it out! All the fish are in my 5 gal for a couple days until I get this tank put back together... and the sword is in the garbage, after I ripped it into many pieces because of what it had done to me! My main concern is the stress on the plants, especially the S. repens 049, microsword, and C. spiralis, as all of them were rebounding from the stress of previous re-plantings. The other is the nutrients I'm going to lose, I already see at least 1/8 of building settling from the murky water (some from flourite I'm sure) maybe this disaster will be good, as it has caused me to disturb the substrate, and mix the sand/flourite together (been over 2 years since I put the flourite on top). Anyone have a major mess up like this... what can I expect in the next few weeks???
post #75 of 94 (permalink) Old 10-06-2010, 07:35 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Finally back to normal, maybe?

Well, I finally managed to get everything replanted last night! I just got the fish back in also. I'll post a pic of the new scape tonight after the sun goes down. The only difference is the sword is missing, so the anubias are somewhat of the centerpiece, and the C. spiralis are in the middle back, with E. densa on either side. Hopefully all is good, and I won't have a bacteria/algae bloom, or major loss of nutrients because of the disaster. A few silver linings of the fiasco are, 1: I'll stop complaining to my wife about how annoyed I am that the sword is shading out my foreground plants 2: the substrate is well mixed, so plants will/spread root easier in the sand/flourite mix, instead of just flourite on top 3: I finally got the front-back slope in the substrate that I've been trying to do without a major disturbance... oops!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode