Comments on my 50gal cube Mountain Scape - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-17-2014, 04:07 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Comments on my 50gal cube Mountain Scape

OK, This is the first try at a couple of things:

1) First aquascape
2) First dirted tank

I purchased a 50 gal cube off of CL for a really nice price thinking I was going to do a Saltwater tank. Well, I chickened out on that and joined this website after viewing some wonderful Aquascapes.

The first ting I wanted to do was to create a dirted tank. So after watching many utube videos, I gave it a try. Miracle Grow Organic potting soil was the chosen dirt. I the back of the tank I used pea gravel to build up the base. The Feather stone was placed upon that. MGOPS was layered over the pea gravel and over the bottom of the tank where the gravel was not used. This was capped with some National Geographic brown substrate.

Once filled with water, the water stained brown from the MG. I then emptied out the tank and did the planting and refilling of water. That was last night and this is where we are today.

What are your thoughts of what I have done so far? Like, don't like, constructive criticism.

Thanks, Dean

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-17-2014, 04:44 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Send a message via AIM to talontsiawd
When I first saw the rock pic without substrate, I didn't think I would like it. However, the softer rocks, with the sand river, give it a soft and tranquil vibe. I usually don't like a lot of negative space between the highest rock and the top of the tank but I think it actually makes this seem "airy". I like this a lot. Rocks and cubes are not easy either.
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-17-2014, 05:47 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks so much for your comment. For those of you who have done dwarf hairgrass, do you think I should trim this down now or wait a while?
post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-17-2014, 05:51 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

let it acclimate for a week or two then mow it
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-17-2014, 07:39 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

The plants that I used I purchased from others on this site. Unfortunately, The Downoi that I was going to use at the top (Behind the last rocks) were DOA when they got here. What is your thought about using that plant for the top of the scape? Any other ideas for that area? Does anyone have any extra Downoi they can spare?
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-17-2014, 07:56 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

what plants do you have in there?
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-17-2014, 08:19 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

As far as plants are concerned, I need to get the plants for the top and let everything grow out. In regards to livestock, I want to get some shrimp and some small schooling fish. I think that larger fish will take away from the proportions of the tank and put it out of scale.
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-17-2014, 10:49 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Any ideas about plants?
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-17-2014, 11:35 PM
OVT
Carpe Diem

What look are you going for?
Tall, short, green, color?

v3

Courtesy * Integrity * Perseverance * Indominable Spirit * and Self Control
Tenets of TKD
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-17-2014, 11:42 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I have no CO2 running and don't plan on doing so. I think maybe something that might grow to the top of the highest rock that would somewhat represent trees.

By the way someone asked what plants I have in there. Front - Dwarf grass, right side - dwarf 4 leaf clover, going up the hill - Staurogyn Repens. The plan was to use Downoi on top.
post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-18-2014, 02:56 PM
Algae Grower

My suggestions are some thing like Blyxa Japonica at the end of the path to soften out the the transition to tank wall. I'd also have some smaller stones on the sides of the path/riverbed to make it more natural looking. Perhaps get some moss for a few of the smaller stones.
post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-18-2014, 03:04 PM
Planted Tanker

I'd put a few select stems in the very back right. More along the right hand plane than the back one. Something that will get higher than the tallest rock. Bacopa maybe, or some L repens for a slight variation in color.
post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-18-2014, 03:26 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

What would you guys think about something like Wisteria in the very back? It is somewhat "Tree looking" and could keep it trimmed to an acceptable height.
post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-18-2014, 03:35 PM
Planted Tanker

Wysteria would work. The bright green would add a nice color variant to what you have now. If possible, I'd try to get some already growing submersed. The low light, emersed kind like you find at PetCo etc, will take a few months to convert and really take off. At least that's been my exp in a non-high-tech set-up.
post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-18-2014, 04:14 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks burr!!! I am not so focused on color as much as I am about mixing up the texture. I have Dwarf clover so I don't need and clover like plants, I have dwarf hairgass so I don't want any more grass like plants. That's why I am thinking wisteria might be a nice change of texture but I am open to any other ideas.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode