D_S's plastic shrimp box - Page 2 - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 80 (permalink) Old 06-16-2014, 05:22 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Very nice set up, i see potential for another tank LOL if u make a rack. But that layout is gonna be very clean looken i like that a lot.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 80 (permalink) Old 06-17-2014, 06:02 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Send a message via AIM to Down_Shift
Planted some hc. Downoi. Srepens. C parva. Done w plants now. Let's get it to fill in!
Co2 reg replacement should be in tomorrow along w root tabs and a acrylic scrubber.

Got API tabs since I didn't want the osmo balls to get everywhere.

post #18 of 80 (permalink) Old 06-17-2014, 07:27 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Send a message via AIM to talontsiawd
post #19 of 80 (permalink) Old 06-17-2014, 09:36 AM
Wannabe Guru

Sweet setup... following!

BTW, if the GF did away with the 1 tank rule, would you have kept the 60P up?
post #20 of 80 (permalink) Old 06-17-2014, 01:23 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

I actually like the different looks of the rocks, but that's just me.

pronounced /oo-dej /

20H Community
10g Red Rili

Winner of the Infamous Never-ending RAK of 2014!
post #21 of 80 (permalink) Old 06-17-2014, 03:41 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

a plastic box- 60F tray style custom build

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian_Cali77 View Post
Sweet setup... following!

BTW, if the GF did away with the 1 tank rule, would you have kept the 60P up?

Possibly. I have a few tanks (90g, 20h and 20L) set up at my parents house 15 min away. But they are primarily holding some bigger fish that outgrew my small tank.

Gf just doesn't want the apartment looking like an aquarium again hah. It was pretty bad when she first moved in. I had 4 tanks set up in a 300sqft apartment. Of course she wanted to remodel and change up the bachelor pad.

Im in the process of putting together a farm/qt tank in the basement closet. Cleaning out all the boxes this week. Might bother newbieplanter into building something. Designing the tank with him. I want removeable trays/pots for each plant as I want to grow some HC mats while keeping the tank bare bottom. Will be a pretty shallow tank so I can get lighting pretty close. It will be More for an experiment of growing one tray submerged and another above the waterline. Got the ok from her as long as it's not taking up space in the apartment

Quote:
Originally Posted by EwDeg View Post
I actually like the different looks of the rocks, but that's just me.

I still haven't figured out the exact stones yet. They do have some nice textures that contrast each other.

Last edited by Down_Shift; 06-17-2014 at 03:46 PM. Reason: add
post #22 of 80 (permalink) Old 06-17-2014, 05:41 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Down_Shift View Post
Gf just doesn't want the apartment looking like an aquarium again hah. It was pretty bad when she first moved in. I had 4 tanks set up in a 300sqft apartment. Of course she wanted to remodel and change up the bachelor pad.
If you get married, by law, you legally get to own up to 75% (by volume) of the aquariums you had before you met her and up to 150% if it is in a garage and/or personal home office. That's the minimum, with consent, I have seen that number go much higher.

Seriously though, sometimes it's good to limit your tanks for time, space, and aesthetics. I swore myself down to 2 tanks and I am just about to break that rule, my new rule is one tank per room.
post #23 of 80 (permalink) Old 06-17-2014, 06:45 PM
Wannabe Guru

How thick is that acylic?
post #24 of 80 (permalink) Old 06-17-2014, 08:22 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by gus6464 View Post
How thick is that acylic?

3/8"

Quote:
Originally Posted by talontsiawd View Post
If you get married, by law, you legally get to own up to 75% (by volume) of the aquariums you had before you met her and up to 150% if it is in a garage and/or personal home office. That's the minimum, with consent, I have seen that number go much higher.

Seriously though, sometimes it's good to limit your tanks for time, space, and aesthetics. I swore myself down to 2 tanks and I am just about to break that rule, my new rule is one tank per room.

Hahahha. I like your thinking. A tank in each room would be nice. But I only live in a one bedroom so that's still two tanks
post #25 of 80 (permalink) Old 06-18-2014, 06:04 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

New pic. I was finally able to clean the tank without worrying about scratching!!

Super impressed by the clarity of this tank.

If anyone is looking for an acrylic scrubber. I just bought two for 1.97 each with free prime shipping. Crazy! Also picked up a new cheap regulator as I couldn't save my old azoo.

Ran good for over 6 years! API root tabs came in as well but I don't want to disturb the substitute again. This stuff rolls and levels out my slope too quickly. I have to push it back into a slope daily.

Cories don't help either. They keep uprooting the sparse hc I was able to plant yesterday.

This weekend I'll have to recal. my ph probe as I think it's a little off. After that I'll start testing the parameters to see what I can keep for shrimp. Most likely will be simple neocar. Unless I have something special for parameters.

Anyone have suggestions for a floating plant to help combat algae? Something that can absorb some of the nutrients? I'm thinking Riccia as it would look pretty cool as a cloud looking floater but I'm afraid it will turn into a mess.

Last edited by Down_Shift; 06-18-2014 at 06:23 AM. Reason: add
post #26 of 80 (permalink) Old 06-21-2014, 07:39 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Having issues with keeping co2 in the tank. As well as having to top the tank off every two days. I'm more paranoid it's a small leak but I've been looking and there isn't a leak! Must be te large water surface area and having an AC blowing about 12ft from it.

Sat infront of the tank tonight. Here are some pics of the inhabitants. Couldn't get the green neon shrimp. I have two and they are always hiding.

I won't be adding any more fish. Maybe a few more cories and oto for cleaning. But I want to get my parameters in check and get a new colony of shrimp in there.

http://youtu.be/ugoQi1J0M3c

Last edited by Down_Shift; 06-21-2014 at 08:43 AM. Reason: added
post #27 of 80 (permalink) Old 06-26-2014, 11:41 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Down_Shift View Post
Having issues with keeping co2 in the tank. As well as having to top the tank off every two days. I'm more paranoid it's a small leak but I've been looking and there isn't a leak! Must be te large water surface area and having an AC blowing about 12ft from it.

Sat infront of the tank tonight. Here are some pics of the inhabitants. Couldn't get the green neon shrimp. I have two and they are always hiding.

I won't be adding any more fish. Maybe a few more cories and oto for cleaning. But I want to get my parameters in check and get a new colony of shrimp in there.

http://youtu.be/ugoQi1J0M3c
Yo u did a great job on that tank! I only got one addition to it, some anubias nana petite thats it. Could be cuz im an anubias freak LOL this is a old pic the anubias has started to take off.

BTW: the water is evaporating same thing happens in my tanks too within a day u can see it, i wanna say due to havin no cover but i havent tried that exp on my tanks yet.

Last edited by newbieplanter; 06-26-2014 at 11:45 AM. Reason: Added
post #28 of 80 (permalink) Old 07-08-2014, 04:58 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

It's been a month. Not much growth for the dhg. I mowed it this last cleaning so hopefully it will promote more growth.

Had to cut down the ar mini, crypts, and some MM that was growing in the wrong direction.

Scrubbed the tank down since I had some algae on the walls from accidentally leaving a light on. The rocks had some green tint that is not gone.

Got the co2 on check with recal the ph probe.

Gave everything a good cleaning.

Push the slope back together a bit. Along with putting in a few API tabs.

I noticed the shrimp sand is raising my Tds? My old Tds average was about 160. With a fresh WC it would be around 120.

With this setup my tank is averaging 250 and fresh vw gets it down to 220.

Will do another small wc this weekend to slowly getting it down.

Found a few neon green shrimp on my canister too. Sweet!

My cories both died

Pics:

post #29 of 80 (permalink) Old 07-08-2014, 05:52 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Looks good. Slow fill in is frustrating but it will do it's thing. I like this very much.
post #30 of 80 (permalink) Old 07-08-2014, 04:37 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by newbieplanter View Post
Yo u did a great job on that tank! I only got one addition to it, some anubias nana petite thats it. Could be cuz im an anubias freak LOL this is a old pic the anubias has started to take off.

BTW: the water is evaporating same thing happens in my tanks too within a day u can see it, i wanna say due to havin no cover but i havent tried that exp on my tanks yet.
Wtf is that.. java fern doing in there with the anubias? *glares* nice collection btw! I use to have a ton of anubias too, love the stuff!...Till I got one with the disease "rhizome rot" that spread and killed over half my collection :c
Nice big mess of aluminum plant above water btw. Is that moss or riccia in the outflow?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode