10g simple scape turned shrimp tank - Page 2 - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 36 (permalink) Old 07-11-2014, 11:06 PM
Algae Grower

That looks really great. I like the border.
The otos are always awesome. I feed my otos blanched romaine lettuce and zucchini which they really enjoy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 36 (permalink) Old 07-15-2014, 09:34 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oto Guy View Post
That looks really great. I like the border.
The otos are always awesome. I feed my otos blanched romaine lettuce and zucchini which they really enjoy.
Thank you! What does blanched mean? Ive heard the term a few times now.

Update. I had bought 30 rcs and they were all gone within a week. Haha, I blame the beta so I traded him in for 2 neon tetras at my lfs. One of them committed fishacide and jumped out. Idk where the other one is but back I am back down to 6. The ones that I got on the trade in did seem very skittish from the start, even the colors weren't all the way there.. But whatever.

I had to take out all the dbt cause it was pretty much ruined, also the java moss. But I left the bits that had attached to the dw. I got the little crypt plant and cabomba. Hopefully when I get new rcs they can hide out in the cabomba.

Anyways here are a couple of photos. The sand has become dirty but I like it better than the burning white. I also added a black background.

post #18 of 36 (permalink) Old 07-17-2014, 05:33 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Here's a soothing video of my tank

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E9YSd6DpWcw
post #19 of 36 (permalink) Old 07-17-2014, 02:09 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Looks pretty good. I need to get more neons for my tank. Only if I could have a huge school of them but it's only 10g.
post #20 of 36 (permalink) Old 07-17-2014, 08:06 PM
Planted Member

From my experience, RCS are very sensitive. How are your water parameters now?
post #21 of 36 (permalink) Old 07-17-2014, 08:28 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonxflare View Post
From my experience, RCS are very sensitive.

If you're unable to care for RCS, there is something wrong with your water. RCS are extremely hardy. They can literally live in tap water.
post #22 of 36 (permalink) Old 07-17-2014, 10:27 PM
Algae Grower

He didn't cycle. Water does not contain much - if any - nitrifying bacteria so using dirty LFS water does nothing for your cycle. You also already have way too many neons for that tank. Please look into trading them for no more than 6 ember tetras AFTER you properly cycle your tank.
post #23 of 36 (permalink) Old 07-18-2014, 04:59 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neatfish View Post
Looks pretty good. I need to get more neons for my tank. Only if I could have a huge school of them but it's only 10g.
Thanks, they look awesome in huge schools. Maybe when I own my own house I'll get a bigger tank.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonxflare View Post
From my experience, RCS are very sensitive. How are your water parameters now?
Quote:
Originally Posted by AGUILAR3 View Post
If you're unable to care for RCS, there is something wrong with your water. RCS are extremely hardy. They can literally live in tap water.
It wasn't the water that offed them, I'm sure it was mostly the betta, and after some research I found out that certain kinds of ghost shrimp attack rcs. And I did have quite a few big ghost shrimp. I am picking up more sunday and I will make sure I don't have any big gs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flinty View Post
He didn't cycle. Water does not contain much - if any - nitrifying bacteria so using dirty LFS water does nothing for your cycle. You also already have way too many neons for that tank. Please look into trading them for no more than 6 ember tetras AFTER you properly cycle your tank.
1 small fish per gallon right? I'm perfectly stocked then.. I know you're new to the forum and all (so am I) but you are pretty annoying. I've seen you post in many threads already with nothing but negative things to say. You might want to say a few nice things here and there...
post #24 of 36 (permalink) Old 07-18-2014, 05:37 AM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinEdgar View Post
Thanks, they look awesome in huge schools. Maybe when I own my own house I'll get a bigger tank.

It wasn't the water that offed them, I'm sure it was mostly the betta, and after some research I found out that certain kinds of ghost shrimp attack rcs. And I did have quite a few big ghost shrimp. I am picking up more sunday and I will make sure I don't have any big gs.

1 small fish per gallon right? I'm perfectly stocked then.. I know you're new to the forum and all (so am I) but you are pretty annoying. I've seen you post in many threads already with nothing but negative things to say. You might want to say a few nice things here and there...
Tbh, 1 fish per gallon is almost as bad as saying 1" per gallon. Stocking varies so much from species to species. 5" of mollies is much different then 5" of harlequin rasboras. I don't think your stocking is overly bad, however.

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk 2
post #25 of 36 (permalink) Old 07-18-2014, 06:05 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinEdgar View Post
Thank you! What does blanched mean? Ive heard the term a few times now.
I didn't see anyone answer this for you, if you're still cruious read below (if you figured it out ignore my post ^^)

Blanching is a method of quickly cooking/softening vegetables to make them easier for fish to eat/pick apart/swallow and can be done a few ways. The quickest being to boil water in a microwave using a microwave safe cup, another way is to boil water in a pot on a stove top. Depending on what you want to blanch it may be easier to use one method over the other.
Some people will boil the water then add the vegetable they want softened for the needed amount of time and remove it (can vary from 30 seconds to 2-3 minutes depending on food). Other with stick them directly in the water to boil (microwave method).

My method:
I usually cut the food I want blanched (lettuce or zucchini slices for my fish), rinse off anything that may be on it and put in microwave safe cup and nuke it quickly. Lettuce takes about 30 seconds, the zucchini depends on how thick the cut is.. I usually let it go about 1 1/2 minute.
Carefully take hot cup from microwave to sink and run it under cool water for a bit . Some glasses ay not be able t handle temp change from boiling hot to cold, (pyrex measuring cup can take it though) if so start at hot tap water and slowly move to room temp then cold water over a minute to prevent glass shattering. Carefully remove the food item and put it on your palm, make sure its not warm still, if its warm continue cooling it in the cold water a bit more before feeding to fish (warm to your palm may be too hot in their mouth). For my zucchini since no one eats the seed I cut out the center/core but most people do not do this.
If its peas you're blanching, put in microwave safe cup and cook 1-2 minutes (depending on frozen or not), cool them (may want a strainer to keep them from getting away) and de-shell them before feeding to fish as they cannot eat the outer shell.
post #26 of 36 (permalink) Old 07-21-2014, 11:36 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

^ thanks for the tip, I'll see how the otos enjoy their snack later when I get off work.
post #27 of 36 (permalink) Old 07-21-2014, 11:49 PM
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGUILAR3 View Post
My mistake, I was thinking of CRS being sensitive, not RCS.

You're right, RCS is pretty hardy shrimp
post #28 of 36 (permalink) Old 07-22-2014, 03:40 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I have a question people, I want to cater to my shrimp more. I have been dosing 5ml of nutrafin plant gro every other day. It has 0.0005% copper, will my shrimp be seriously effected by that amount? Any help appreciated!
post #29 of 36 (permalink) Old 07-22-2014, 10:40 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

So I bought some more rcs this past weekend and they love the tank. With the betta gone they weren't being harassed. But when it came time for feeding the tetras made it extremely difficult so I decided to trade them in for more rcs which I will be picking up tomorrow.

I found one rcs from my first batch living in my filter! She is still alive, what a miracle. Was living in my filter for about a month and is doing just fine in the tank now.

I tried giving my otos a blanched zucchini slice but they have taken no interest.

Here's a shot of one of my new rcs, I need to get a macro lens.
post #30 of 36 (permalink) Old 07-23-2014, 08:28 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I came home from work and my scaping tools came in, I also noticed my otos munching on the zucchini I gave them.

The tools seem like very good quality for only being $26
Deluxe Professional Aquarium Tool Kits - Hand Tool Sets - Amazon.com Deluxe Professional Aquarium Tool Kits - Hand Tool Sets - Amazon.com

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode