75g first *real* attempt at planted - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 43 (permalink) Old 06-01-2014, 04:24 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

75g first *real* attempt at planted

EDITED 6/23/14

This is just a quick post, will try and keep up on it. Not really a "build" but will update progress.

I'm broke and a cheapskate so I gather equipment slowly lol. Took me about 3 months to get stand, tank, filter, heater, light. Once I got that I started looking for the substrate. I decided to go with Flora-max / ecocomplete / black Diamond sand mix. Began planting with plants I had been storing in a pond tank on my porch. And added a few fish. So here's the rundown.

Tank: 75g

Filter: Aquaclear 110, Aquaclear 70

Heater: 200w x2

Light: Fluval full spectrum LED.

Substrate: Ecocomplete/Flora-max/Black sand

Plants: cryptocoryne wendtii
Red sword
Sword compacta
Bacopa carolinia
Staurogyne
Star Grass
Java moss
Hygrophila
Anubias Nana
Flame moss
Dwarf Java moss
Anubias p

Fish: GBR male (he lost his mate)
2 blue acara (waiting to see if pair)
6 panda cories
4 otocinclus
8 harlequin rasboras
8 white cloud minnows
3 yoyo loaches
2 angelicus botia
1 Bumblebee catfish

Anyways let me know what yall think.

UPDATED PIC 6/6/14

6/8/14

6/23/14

Sent from my LG-P769 using Tapatalk

Last edited by scoutsdoitbetter; 06-24-2014 at 01:04 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 43 (permalink) Old 06-01-2014, 07:14 AM
Wannabe Guru

75g first *real* attempt at planted

I really like budget builds! Everyone can build amazing aquariums with gobs if money, but it takes skill and patience to do something brwath taking on a budget. Love how you have the light propped up on the filter on one side and using the legs to hold it up on the other side. For a budget setup that's looking good, you got some nice pieces of driftwood. Since your on a budget a good way to get some decent plants is to keep an eye out in the WTB/RAOK section, once a week or more I usually see someone offer up a trimming package for $5-$7 and it will contain 5+ species of plants and decent portions of each too. Also make a want to trade post within your states sub forum, I've met a few people that live near me and swap plants with them, you may meet someone nice that would be willing to give you some stuff. If all else fails you can "harvest" some plants from nature, it's a good idea to, know what the plant is, you can always ask here someone is bound to know and give them a quick bleach dip before using them.

Not sure if the star grass will grow very well without co2 but it may! With co2, high light and fertilizer I have to trim my star grass once a week, but I also keep mine about 2 inches tall. If you are still saving up for co2 you could give DIY a try, you can usually get a decent DIY setup going for about $10 or less. Basically for a cheap DIY you just need a chopstick (used as a diffuser), some air tubing, a plastic one-way valve, a 2 liter or bigger bottle with a airtight lid, some sugar, and finally some yeast (if you want to get fancy get a heating pad from your grandmas house). There are different kinds of yeast out there, I have heard that people get a stronger and more consistent flow when using brewing yeast, the kind used for making beer and wine, there is probably a store near you that sells home brewing goods and you can get it from there, or you can order it online, the regular yeast for making bread also works well. Another tip I have read in the past but have not ever really seen much about it since is the use of brown sugar instead of white sugar, this is supposed to help keep the yeast alive longer but don't quote me on that! DIY systems are easy to put together, I am sure there are some excellent write ups on TPT about how to make them and probably a YouTube video, so I am not going to go into detail about that.

What kind of light are you planning to upgrade to? If you want to try it out you can make a really good led light yourself. The price of chip on board (COB) led modules have really come down in price over the past couple of years. Is that a 4 bulb T5 or T5HO? If it's HO you may already have too much light without having and co2 or fertilizers. You want to make sure you don't have too much lighting, because without co2 and fertilizers you will melt all your plants.

You will eventually want to upgrade from that AC110, Hang on back (HOB) filters aren't really good for tanks that tall, although it can handle the volume it will never be able to get the detritus from the other side of the tank or off the bottom. I cannot tell in the photo but you are going to want to have your intake tube as close the the substrate as possible. A good idea would be to keep your eye out for a decent canister filter, sometimes you can get a good deal on a used on, but if I were you I would save up and get a SunSun, they are the same if not better quality than Fluval filters and are not expensive, another benefit of the SunSun filters is they have a very strong flow, so you can use the out flow into the aquarium to create all the circulation you will need to provide a healthily environment for your plants. If you plan to stick with the AC110 you will eventually need to get a power head or circulation pump to keep the water moving.

Where are the fish? Maybe I am just not looking hard enough in the picture.
post #3 of 43 (permalink) Old 06-01-2014, 11:31 AM
Wannabe Guru

I would increase the plants substantially to help avoid algae, and definitely upgrade to a better filter at some point, like a canister. Nice job for a budget tank!

Eheim Pimp Club,# 496
25g 60-P iwagumi , 33g iwagumi cube, 125g high tech, 7g cube, 12g long
post #4 of 43 (permalink) Old 06-01-2014, 12:17 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Is that light a 4 bulb catalina? Because that what it looks like to me.

For now, only run at most 2 bulbs, all 4 is going to be too much for this setup. And yah, try and add more plant mass.

I also feel that, over time, that aqua clear isn't going to be a whole lot of filtration, especially with blue acaras in the tank. Also not 100% on how they would do with rams or otos. Especially if they become a pair.

My 75 gallon High Tech Tank:http://tinyurl.com/n7zp47m
My 10 gallon High Tech Tank:http://tinyurl.com/qyf7s5o
My 5.5 gallon nano College Dorm Tank:http://tinyurl.com/p54uupj
Mom's Spec V:http://tinyurl.com/qjt3rw2
post #5 of 43 (permalink) Old 06-02-2014, 01:44 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Hey guys thanks for the replies. I'm glad to have some feedback.
All of you hit on the AC110 issue, I do intend to change to a sunsun 304 canister ASAP. It also makes my salvinia shoot all over the tank.

I'm not sure the brand of light of the t5 I want to say solar systems?? I can double check later, I know it's older, and one of the ballasts is bad so it's only using 2 bulbs anyways. It's also got the legs missing on that one side, which is why it's resting on the filter. I just picked up this Fluval LED on a awesome trade

will this Fluval be good at growing plants or is it too high with the 25000k spectrum.

Also I do want to add more plants but I like the leafy plants (swords, Crypts, Java fern, etc.) and I'm gonna try to get some more smaller plants to fill in the front.

post #6 of 43 (permalink) Old 06-02-2014, 02:03 PM
Planted Tank Guru

If it's for reefs it's for reefs
So no, that light won't be good for a planted tank.

My 75 gallon High Tech Tank:http://tinyurl.com/n7zp47m
My 10 gallon High Tech Tank:http://tinyurl.com/qyf7s5o
My 5.5 gallon nano College Dorm Tank:http://tinyurl.com/p54uupj
Mom's Spec V:http://tinyurl.com/qjt3rw2
post #7 of 43 (permalink) Old 06-02-2014, 02:06 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

So it's not ideal. But will it work until I can trade it out? I'll probably run both the LED and the t5.

post #8 of 43 (permalink) Old 06-02-2014, 02:54 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoutsdoitbetter View Post
So it's not ideal. But will it work until I can trade it out?
Great start I just think you need to add some more ground plants. Sagittaria subulata are the easiest.

I wouldn't use that light. It could promote the growth of bad bad algae. For now the light looks fine.

For Co2 you use metricide. It contains glutaraldehyde which is the main ingredient in Seachem Excel Co2 additive. Seachem Excel contains 1.5% Glutaraldehyde. You just need to dilute it to solution1.5% * (container/ 2.6% ) = glut. A quart is approx $25 on Ebay. At dealmed.com 1 gallon $18.20. shipping $9.99.

Or you could try Diy Co2.
post #9 of 43 (permalink) Old 06-02-2014, 02:57 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Ok so I need to sell or trade this LED. What about the Fluval planted LED? I think it's on the 5200k spectrum.

And I will look into the Sagittaria Thanks

post #10 of 43 (permalink) Old 06-02-2014, 03:08 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
What about the Fluval planted LED?
Yes that would work. Another good 1 is current usa led plus.
post #11 of 43 (permalink) Old 06-02-2014, 03:10 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks looks like I need to negotiate another trade haha. BTW I got this one for pretty close to nothing. I traded a fluval edge 12g that I had gotten from a family member for free.

post #12 of 43 (permalink) Old 06-02-2014, 03:18 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Ok so I need to sell or trade this LED. What about the Fluval planted LED? I think it's on the 5200k spectrum.

And I will look into the Sagittaria Thanks

I use the Fluval Plant LED's on 2 tanks. They work pretty good.
post #13 of 43 (permalink) Old 06-02-2014, 03:31 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Turns out what I have IS Sagittaria and not star grass. When it was given to me I was told it was star grass. Oh well I still like it and turns out better

post #14 of 43 (permalink) Old 06-02-2014, 06:57 PM
Planted Tank Guru

in my low tech 75g i started with 50 dwarf sag and in 2 months i have easily doubled if not tripled that. the stuff grows very well and imo i love the look.
post #15 of 43 (permalink) Old 06-02-2014, 07:08 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by philipraposo1982 View Post
in my low tech 75g i started with 50 dwarf sag and in 2 months i have easily doubled if not tripled that. the stuff grows very well and imo i love the look.
Awesome, I hope mine does well, I think I have plenty of light now I need to work on a co2 setup.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode