Mistuhmarc's 20 Gallon Long|2 Gallon Shrimp Cube - Page 2 - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 76 (permalink) Old 06-05-2014, 02:59 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by junglefowl View Post
You're welcome! I'm glad the plant has a good home.
BTW, your tank looks amazing! I like to leave it as is and wait for the HM to grow taller in the back
Thanks! I'm sure it'll look great once the HM grows taller. I hope to trim it and train it to look more bush-like in appearance.

I think I might make a gap between the AR Mini, meaning I'll separate it so that there is a divide with the red plants on both sides.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 76 (permalink) Old 06-05-2014, 05:35 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Oh, now I see the blyxa hahaha. I like where it is personally, but it's up to each tank owner to choose :P

My 5 gallon, being reborn.
My 29g "Jungle Heaven"
Fraternity of Dirt #165
CR500 Rider, RIDE RED
post #18 of 76 (permalink) Old 06-05-2014, 04:10 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by CluelessAquarist View Post
Oh, now I see the blyxa hahaha. I like where it is personally, but it's up to each tank owner to choose :P
Indeed :p. Blyxa gets so much larger and bushier than that; at one point I had 4 stems branching off from the same stem (yikes). It's a sucker for high light and co2 and it looks beautiful under those conditions. Turns a slight red too under intense light giving it a mixture of a green-red coloration.
post #19 of 76 (permalink) Old 06-06-2014, 09:14 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

So I tried a little experiment with some dwarf baby tears and decided to put some in a small glass container and leave it outside in the sun to see if it'd grow faster. Turns out, the fact that it was too hot and I didn't check on it as often as I should've caused it to die...shouldn't have left the plastic on to keep it humid. Tons and tons of water droplets on the plastic though. Oops. So now as a result, I had a small glass container partially covered in dead HC. Least I still have more besides that small amount.

Found some Riccia in my bucket when I was trying to throw away some old pieces of moss. Tied it to a small piece of slate and dipped that in my tank. Highly certain that it'll grow quickly. Never tried out Riccia before.

I also added a few cherry shrimp in the hopes that they'll fare better than the ones I had previously. Considering I tried to EI dose a 5.5 gallon with co2, they more than likely perished at my hands. Silly mistakes .

Being a college student rocks (Just kidding, forever dying )
| On The Move 20g
post #20 of 76 (permalink) Old 06-12-2014, 12:53 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Made a local trade today.

Traded some emersed HC and UG for some Downoi. 8 crowns was a lot and they looked great! (Thanks swissian!)

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01015.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	103.3 KB
ID:	332178

Did some work today moving the UG out of the emersed tank (it wasn't growing fast so I moved it into it's own container) and then replaced the UG with Hydrocotyle Sp. Japan that was growing on the far right hand side along with the Ludwigia Sp. Red and Rotala Sp. Green. Added a couple of Anubias Nana sproutlings in the back and placed the downoi where the Hydrocotyle used to be. The emersed set up is doing fine, with all types coming out with tons of growth. I'm definitely close to splitting up the dwarf baby tears so that they can grow out faster. They're all clumping up in one area, so some areas aren't getting filled up.

Overhead shot:

Name:	DSC01016.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	105.1 KB
ID:	332186

Downoi, Ludwigia Sp Red. You can't see the rotala sp. green or the anubias, but they're in this section:

Name:	DSC01020.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	71.4 KB
ID:	332210

Dwarf Hairgrass Sp. 'Belem':

Name:	DSC01019.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	81.7 KB
ID:	332202

Hydrocotyle Sp. Japan. I got lazy and stuck them into the dirt since I knew they bounced back quick and grew quick too:

Name:	DSC01021.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	50.9 KB
ID:	332218

Dwarf Baby Tears:

Name:	DSC01022.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	67.4 KB
ID:	332226

Here's the UG I have left growing in a separate container. It's so slowwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww. I'm definitely really impatient...:

Name:	DSC01023.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	68.4 KB
ID:	332234

The tank itself is doing pretty great, hairgrass is growing in, and I pretty much sold a lot of my AR mini. It'll grow back eventually, but that the area in the back is now sparse. Oops haha.

Here's a tank shot for now:

Name:	DSC01025.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	106.4 KB
ID:	332242

Next week I'm going to have to tear down the tank sadly so that I can move yet again to go back home for the month of summer where I'll hopefully find a part time job until I go back to college. Maybe then I can invest in some side projects as my class currently has been kicking my butt..

| On The Move 20g
post #21 of 76 (permalink) Old 06-12-2014, 01:14 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Question

Tank looks great man. Summer break for me too

My 29g "Jungle Heaven"
Fraternity of Dirt #165
CR500 Rider, RIDE RED
post #22 of 76 (permalink) Old 06-12-2014, 01:43 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Tank looks great man. Summer break for me too
Nice . You in college? What major are you if you are? I'm thinking of doing a rescape of the tank once I get home, I had another idea that I wanted to try out.

| On The Move 20g
post #23 of 76 (permalink) Old 06-12-2014, 09:17 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistuhmarc View Post
Nice . You in college? What major are you if you are? I'm thinking of doing a rescape of the tank once I get home, I had another idea that I wanted to try out.
Yeah I am. I'm doing my required general classes right now. I was going to go into business but I'm not sure it really interests/suits me now that I've experienced what it really is.

My 29g "Jungle Heaven"
Fraternity of Dirt #165
CR500 Rider, RIDE RED
post #24 of 76 (permalink) Old 06-12-2014, 01:11 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Yeah I am. I'm doing my required general classes right now. I was going to go into business but I'm not sure it really interests/suits me now that I've experienced what it really is.
I know what you mean when it comes to really getting into a major. I was actually pre-dentistry before switching over to computer science because I wanted to please my parents. My surprise when they wanted me to be happy and pick whatever is best haha. Of course, being the nerd I am, I still ended up going into programming anyways . Figure out your major while you're still doing your general classes right now, it'll definitely put you in a better position than deciding to change it later once you've finished a lot of your major's classes. In my opinion, if you're not enjoying your job, then there was no point in getting there in the first place.

| On The Move 20g
post #25 of 76 (permalink) Old 06-18-2014, 07:18 AM
Algae Grower

wow nice setup! Same equipment as myself ! did you de-rim a standard 10G tank?
post #26 of 76 (permalink) Old 06-18-2014, 04:07 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by hryder77 View Post
wow nice setup! Same equipment as myself ! did you de-rim a standard 10G tank?
Yeah man . I used a razor and a small box cutting blade to remove the black trimming as best I can. Afterwards, I used the razor to just remove the silicone that was found underneath. Not the best work I've done, but in my opinion, this was the best first time I've derimmed a tank. Sanded down the tops too. I didn't see that many sharp edges as many people mentioned about de-rimming a tank though. Odd .

| On The Move 20g
post #27 of 76 (permalink) Old 06-23-2014, 12:23 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

So now I'm back at my parent's place for the summer, having to move back all of my aquarium stuff and the such. That work was TOTALLY enjoyable /sarcasm. Anyways, I totally rescaped the aquarium, tried to bring the AR mini to the front and create a bush of HM in the back. Dwarf Hairgrass Belem is still my carpet of choice and prior to the move, had tripled in amount due to all of the runners. Those roots were amazing though.

This time though, I added something new. Remember the trace paper from before? I had an extra marineland led that I had lying around since I had gotten rid of one of my smaller tank. I added that LED to the back of the tank and I thought it looked pretty interesting. I liked the look of the lighted background, it definitely showed up more to me than a black background would.

Here's the tank with the lights turned on. My tank is filthy; might not show up in the pics, but when I brought it home, the aquasoil left a residue on the glass walls so now it's slightly brown. I'm going to get that cleaned up soon.

The baby tears definitely need a trim, some stems are looking bigger than others. I might remove the Blyxa and put that in my parent's tank downstairs. It's a big mess and I'm planning on completely tearing it down and restarting it as dirted tank to make maintenance a lot less difficult. I'm planning on starting a journal on that too so keep an eye out for it!

| On The Move 20g
post #28 of 76 (permalink) Old 07-25-2014, 03:39 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Sorry about the time in between my posts, been busy with work and trying to finish some school related shenanigans while I'm home. But overall, I've changed a few things with the tank. Took out the AR mini, but left a stem of it in the background. I replaced it with needle leaf java fern instead to take up it's place. I've also tied some riccia to some small pieces of slate to add like a bushy like appearance near the java fern. It worked out well. I just have to keep trimming it almost every so often. Really fast plant there...

Tank shot of the tank as of 7/24/14. It's been going pretty well, the hairgrass is definitely starting to carpet the entire tank. I remembered when I just had a small pot of it. Now it's just been growing like a weed in my tank. Nice to know how fast the growth can get within a few months.

Added a couple of inhabitants. Introducing the new juvenile apistogramma cacatuoides pair. They're still pretty small, so the size of the 10 gallon should be fine until I plan to upgrade to my 20 gallon long at the beginning of the new semester.

The male's staring at his reflection haha. He must think there's another male trying to steal his territory.

I'm getting pretty crazy with the editing of the photos...I'd like to know how people edit out their photos so mine don't look a little too washed out. At the same time, I'm kinda positive I saturated the photo a litttllllleeeeeeeeeeeeeee too much, should definitely tone that down a little.

I'm really thinking of getting rid of my green neons...they're like almost NEVER out when I want them to be. The moment they know I'm nearby, they'll dart to the back of the tank. I get that they're a shy species, but not this shy . I'll try to get some embers shipped out or try to locate some so that I can have them as my schooling fish instead of these neons. I feel as if the tank feels really empty about them..

I lost a few amanos recently. They're all jumping out mainly because of their breeding habits from what I found out. I've lowered the water level so it's not as close to the very tip of the tank as it used to be. The spray bar also has been lowered. But that's been a bummer though, I used to have like 12 ish amano shrimp prior to this situation. Now all I have is 4....that's a little depressing.

Any suggestions as usual? If there's anything I can do to improve, I'd love to hear it.

| On The Move 20g

Last edited by mistuhmarc; 07-25-2014 at 03:59 AM. Reason: Needed to add text
post #29 of 76 (permalink) Old 07-25-2014, 03:57 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Wow!! Tank looks awesome!! IMO I don't think it needs a trim. I love the natural look. What kind of fish is that?!
post #30 of 76 (permalink) Old 07-25-2014, 04:04 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by pewpewkittah View Post
Wow!! Tank looks awesome!! IMO I don't think it needs a trim. I love the natural look. What kind of fish is that?!
I do too. I trim the regular baby tears in the back every week mainly because the light's so strong that they're growing downwards. I'm thinking that once I switch over to the ecoxotic e series, that I'll either lower the intensity of the light, or raise it higher.

The fish are Cockatoo Apistos. Dwarf cichlids that don't get as large as the other cichlids . Little harder to obtain, didn't find them at the lfs I work at sadly.

| On The Move 20g

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode