The Planted Tank Forum banner

backyarddirt for Jude

2K views 18 replies 6 participants last post by  inclament 
#1 ·
Putting a tank into my newborn's nursery, as im off work this week im getting antsy, so its big project time! Levelled the dresser, called my dad to acquire the tank and equipment, and dug a big pile for substrate. I wet it in the buckets and thenspread it out on a tarp all over the driveway.

#3 ·
Mud puddle

Yeah my father in law owns the property and they aren't or wouldn't be spraying anything, well water is fine so no contaminants there at least. I collected a little from the sheep pasture but dug down a bit before collecting, I was figuring the mineralizing process would break any of that down further. I'd be interested in any other concerns you think of though. Here it is drying. Dog Blue Carnivore Asphalt Road surface

#10 ·
stock updated

All the angels are in a larger tank and much happier, prob not as big as they deserve though... anyways a friend brought me some stock as well so i think the tank is properly full now! Ive got 3 red and blue Colombian tetras, 4 turquoise rainbows, 2 bosemani, and an unidentified syno. Oh and 3 nerite snails, all different patterns.

#13 ·
All the angels are in a larger tank and much happier, prob not as big as they deserve though... anyways a friend brought me some stock as well so i think the tank is properly full now! Ive got 3 red and blue Colombian tetras, 4 turquoise rainbows, 2 bosemani, and an unidentified syno. Oh and 3 nerite snails, all different patterns.
Going with this many rainbows, especially bigger Bosemani's is asking for disaster in a tank this size. Unless you're doing a water change every 2 days, an ammonia spike is bound to happen...try to go for smaller fish maybe?

#11 ·
Even a 90gal might end up not big enough once they hit sexual maturity and start spawning.

A local fish club may be a good way to re-home them?

Though... your current stocking list is also mostly fish that will quickly outgrow a 20gal, too. Ever seen any of those fish as adults? Most are 4-6" long.

#14 ·
I'd like to go bigger all around, but it's what I've got! It'll do while they grow up and I can petition the wife in the mean time. I couldn't turn down gift fish! The soil has been on its final drying, very slow going with this weather, I'm worried somebody used one of my buckets to mix some concrete before I wet the soil one more time, hoping that if they did the thin coating on the sides of the bucket I got into the soil won't cause any problems, didn't scrape the bucket out just in case, just poured it out

#15 ·
Dunno how well things are going... But they're going! Got a 10 gal quarantine/goldfish tank, my wife really wants goldfish. Filled it with 3/4" dirt and 1 3/4 petco sand, after it cycled I put the 20 gal fishes in there so I could dirt Jude's 20. 3/4" dirt and 1 3/4 black ceramaquartz s grade. Both tanks got 1/2" plastic mesh placed just above the dirt to keep any digging issues from happening
Plant Pet supply Vegetation Aquatic plant Fish

#17 ·
Almost finished!

So I have been very busy, in life and with the tanks, but Jude has a bottle in his face so I have a free hand to post! Hadn't washed the cquartz enough and it was driving ph off the charts basic. Vacuumed it all out with the siphon, washed it and replaced it. Problem solved. Here is the dirt mound I managed to keep in the tank Stairs Wood Rectangle Wood stain Hardwood

Bump:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.