klibs' 1st Planted Tank - 55 Gallon
I am moving into a new apartment June 1, 2014 and decided to get into a heavily planted tank. I've been doing a ton or research so hopefully my first attempt at creating a nice looking setup won't be a total disaster.
- 55 Gallon tank ~(48 x 12 x 20)
- 2x Eheim 2217 canister filters
- 48" T5HO Light fixture (3 x 54W bulb - not sure how many I will run)
- 5lb CO2 tank with regulator/bubble counter (still need diffuser)
- 300W Hydor inline heater
- Substrate: Probably Miracle Gro Organic with EcoComplete on top (already have the EcoComplete)
The tank I got is pretty beat up (previously used for a snake...) and the stand needs a LOT of work (it sucks). Right now they are both at my parent's place in the next town over waiting for me to do some DIY magic. I am praying that the tank will hold water fine (guy who sold it to me claimed it used to with no problems).
Here is my plan so far:
- Make sure the tank holds water. If not I will reseal it... (fingers crossed)
- Renovate the stand by raising it and giving it a decent coat of paint.
- Move into my new apartment.
- Fill tank with substrate / deco and try to get some HC to root. I am not totally set on HC as my carpet but right now it is my #1 choice. I will probably start to grow it emersed.
- Fill tank with water
- Beautiful tank (hopefully lol)
I am open to any and all thoughts and suggestions and am excited to get started! I am trying my best to be as committed and as patient as possible because if owning fish for a few years has taught me anything is that if you try to jump the gun you will regret it 95% of the time.
I also want to take a lot of pictures and make this legit so you people actually might want to read this crap. Wish me luck!