My first tank! 5 gallon (56k warning) - Page 2 - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 135 (permalink) Old 05-06-2014, 06:04 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGUILAR3 View Post
2 13 cfls on a 5g tank is just asking for disaster. That's an insane amount of light for such a small tank.You should be fine with a single 10w.

What plants are you planning on growing?
What this guy said. Basically, 13 watts on a 5.5 gallon tank is almost 3 watts per gallon. That's almost high light, and without co2, you could easily grow algae. If you're using two, that's definitely more light than you'll ever need. Be careful there.

Also, all three plants that you described can grow easily in medium light, with glosso being the fastest grower. Anubias and Fissidens both grow pretty slowly. I have glosso in my high light, co2 injected tank and it grows like a weed...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 135 (permalink) Old 05-06-2014, 06:18 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistuhmarc View Post
What this guy said. Basically, 13 watts on a 5.5 gallon tank is almost 3 watts per gallon. That's almost high light, and without co2, you could easily grow algae. If you're using two, that's definitely more light than you'll ever need. Be careful there.

Also, all three plants that you described can grow easily in medium light, with glosso being the fastest grower. Anubias and Fissidens both grow pretty slowly. I have glosso in my high light, co2 injected tank and it grows like a weed...
I have 1 13w cfl on there right now.. I may end up putting some sort of cloth over the light so that it restricts some of the light..
Right now I have it set to do an 8 hour photoperiod.. Any thoughts on that?
post #18 of 135 (permalink) Old 05-06-2014, 06:36 AM
Wannabe Guru

8-9 hrs is fine. If you start to see hints of algae, raise the light up an inch or 2. I was having algae issues in my planted 1.75g vase. Light was 6" above the waterline but when I raised it to 8", algae disappeared and has yet to return in 5+ months.
post #19 of 135 (permalink) Old 05-06-2014, 06:47 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
8-9 hrs is fine. If you start to see hints of algae, raise the light up an inch or 2. I was having algae issues in my planted 1.75g vase. Light was 6" above the waterline but when I raised it to 8", algae disappeared and has yet to return in 5+ months.
Hah... My light is way closer to the waterline than that... I might need to change that.. It's about 3.5" to 4"..
post #20 of 135 (permalink) Old 05-06-2014, 06:50 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

You don't necessarily need to add a cloth over the tank. A single raised 13w cfl will be fine. Just try to limit algae growth. If algae starts to grow, lower the photoperiod.
post #21 of 135 (permalink) Old 05-06-2014, 07:24 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistuhmarc View Post
You don't necessarily need to add a cloth over the tank. A single raised 13w cfl will be fine. Just try to limit algae growth. If algae starts to grow, lower the photoperiod.
Alright sounds good. At this point I would be pleased for the plans I have to simply stay alive, but growth would be great I don't have ultra high hopes because I know realistically this is my very first try and I can't just expect phenomenal results the first go-round. I've been thinking of making myself a DIY CO2 setup because its easy to make, cheap, and it sounds like it might really help my plants out.
post #22 of 135 (permalink) Old 05-07-2014, 01:13 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Update!! Added a rock to stop the flow of the filter. I'll add a picture soon. In the meantime I'm hoping my plants are slowly growing and not slowly dying
post #23 of 135 (permalink) Old 05-07-2014, 05:21 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

As promised, here is the picture. https://flic.kr/p/neUX4M
post #24 of 135 (permalink) Old 05-07-2014, 05:52 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

You should add a lot more plants than the java fern. Java fern are slow growing, and usually it is recommended to get a lot of fast growing plants.
post #25 of 135 (permalink) Old 05-07-2014, 05:57 AM
Wannabe Guru

I love the fact that the title still reads "56k warning"
post #26 of 135 (permalink) Old 05-07-2014, 06:04 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
I love the fact that the title still reads "56k warning"
Ha well I'm too noob to figure out how to directly show pictures like other people do.. Should I change the title?
post #27 of 135 (permalink) Old 05-08-2014, 06:06 AM
Wannabe Guru

I tried posting one of your pics and it says "sharing is restricted for this photo". It may have something to do with your privacy settings on your flicker account.
post #28 of 135 (permalink) Old 05-08-2014, 06:45 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Flickr's new format is so inconvenient.

On the page you're linking from, in the right hand column where all the options are, you'll see three dots in a row about halfway down. Hover it says "more actions". Click that and select "download/all sizes". In the window that pops up click "view all sizes"

Select the size you want then right click the image, and select "copy image location" (or something like that, what it says exactly depends on your browser)

Paste that here between [img ] paste link here [/img ] - no spaces.

Last edited by burr740; 05-08-2014 at 07:01 AM. Reason: added something
post #29 of 135 (permalink) Old 05-08-2014, 07:32 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by burr740 View Post
Flickr's new format is so inconvenient.

On the page you're linking from, in the right hand column where all the options are, you'll see three dots in a row about halfway down. Hover it says "more actions". Click that and select "download/all sizes". In the window that pops up click "view all sizes"

Select the size you want then right click the image, and select "copy image location" (or something like that, what it says exactly depends on your browser)

Paste that here between [img ] paste link here [/img ] - no spaces.

I've been doing that but with no luck.. Maybe there is something there I'm not doing correctly.. Here, I'll retry.

Last edited by CluelessAquarist; 05-08-2014 at 07:33 AM. Reason: Pictures..
post #30 of 135 (permalink) Old 05-08-2014, 07:33 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

YES I DID IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Thank you so much it was becoming a serious pain in the butt
By the way my plants are looking better than when I got them so I assume (hope) that means they are growing or at least alive! I'm looking forward to adding some anubias or java moss soon. I'm excited to see what I can turn this tank into.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode